Gridseed help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Gridseed help

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 52)
I hope this is the correct section to be posting in, if not my apologies.

Anyway, hopefully there's some fellow knowledgeable gridseed owners out there. I have 8 of these gridseed 5 chip miners. They're nice in their own quirky way, but I seem to be having issues with getting more than 4 of them to run well in my PC. The issue is whenever there's more than 4 of them, either 2 or 3 of them don't even start up and/or 2 or 3 of them have low output (like 200kh).
I have a powered USB 10 port hub that I'm using, and I don't think it's the problem at all because I actually even tried plugging in 6 of them in the motherboard ports back in the I/O directly and it still had the same problem. But if I plug in 4, those 4 work like a charm. Plug in the other 4, no problem. But 6 or 8 I get a couple that don't start and/or low output. Whats up with that?

I'm using BFGminer 3.10, and I've checked to make sure that all the gridseeds are assigned com ports 10 or less.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ok no one runs gridseeds I guess.

I cannot get cgminer to work, it's not sensing the gridseeds at all so I must be doing something wrong.

I did get CPU miner to work, but I have to run a separate instance for each gridseed....which is fine and I did that, worked great for an hour then they all fail for some reason. No idea why, I restarted them 3 times and after an hour they stop mining. So I guess that won't work.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 174 (Unique: 160)
There is a special cgminer for gridseeds that works. I am at work right now, but I can look once I get home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes I know, I've downloaded it (not the regular cgminer, it is for the gridseeds) but it won't work for me. I must be missing something to get it to run.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 47 (Unique: 44)
Sorry I'm a little late here, not sure if you still need help. Couple of things. First, gridseeds hate USB 3.0 ports. No Idea why. But make sure the HUB you are using is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
With CGMiner, it should recognize them all at once provided you do the plug in trick. Have them all plugged into the USB hub, have the hub not plugged in, start cgminer, immediately plug the port in.
From experience, I would typically have to do that 3 or 4 times before it would see all of them.

Best suggestion I can give is to just spend the 35 dollars to get an rpi b and download hashra controlla onto it. Works....not perfectly but about a million times better then PC.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I still couldn't get cgminer to work. I replaced the stm driver with the one from Zadig....I completely uninstalled the STM driver and installed the one from Zadig....cgminer does not detect any gridseeds.

But, I did get CPUmine to work. I have to use 1 instance of CPUminer per gridseed but it is working now. Each GS hashing at 360 no problem and I can run all of them on a single PC now.

Thanks for trying, but I gave up on cgminer.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Have you set up CGMiner with the hotplug flag? It should look something like this:

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o pool:port -u username.miner -p password --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=800,chips=5 --hotplug 5 --usb=:3

The way to set it up now is:

1. Load CGMiner with those launch options.
  2. Wait for it to start and connect to your pool.
  3. Plug in the Gridseeds one by one.

After each device is plugged in, CGMiner will restart and add the device to the list of devices.

The, "hotplug" flag says how often to check, in this case every 5 seconds.

The final flag, "usb=:3" is not necessary but it means "stop scanning after 3 devices are detected", set this to the number of devices you're going to plug in to stop it checking for more. You can also use this flag if you want to run multiple instances of CGMiner (for example, if you want to mine on more than one pool or port and want to divide the devices up).

To do that, start one instance of CGMiner and plug in however many devices you want that one to use then start the second instance and plug in however many devices you want with that one and so on.

Let me know if you need any other help with Gridseeds.

Check my new gallery for the Gridseed Scrypt ASIC miner!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I did have the hotplug 5 in there, but I did not try to plug them in after cgminer is running I had them all in before I started it like usual. So I guess I will try that, thanks!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK I finally got around to trying that out. FINALLY it worked, thank you so much. +rep. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in