[Announcement] Greatest Innovation in coin history! Stop mining! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Announcement] Greatest Innovation in coin history! Stop mining!

post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Eh, Wha?

Rep: 720 (Unique: 532)
I've tried mining in the past, but always stopped because I would end up using the same machines for [email protected] instead.

This seems like a perfect situation for me biggrin.gif

Now if only this new house I moved into could support more than 10 amps without blowing a fuse... redface.gif

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
Fukurou
(14 items)
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Core i5-661
Motherboard
GA-H55-USB3
RAM
12GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB
Hard Drive
Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD)
Optical Drive
Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner
Power Supply
Seasonic X750 Gold
Cooling
H50 (With push/pull nocturas)
Case
CM690 II
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64
Monitor
LG 47inch LED LCD
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless
Audio
Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp.
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Ever Forward.

Rep: 231 (Unique: 166)

So you'd have to fold for that specific team in order to gain CureCoins?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

I've tried mining in the past, but always stopped because I would end up using the same machines for [email protected] instead.

This seems like a perfect situation for me biggrin.gif

Now if only this new house I moved into could support more than 10 amps without blowing a fuse... redface.gif

10amps? That doesn't even sound right.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own."

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 103)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusher33 View Post

Don't see it. i see that you download FAH and start folding. And then sign up at a pool to get paid.

And what's the point of mining via ASICs? May as well have them just mine the already existing coins and just pay the folders with that. I don't see why they gotta double the man power to make this work. Why can't they make it so that you fold while you mine?

this was already attempted with gridcoin. the problem is that mining takes too much power. so when you combine mining and boinc you get 95% mining 5% boinc. It was a good attempt but still didnt work properly. Curecoin is a step in the right direction. I believe you are right though full implementation is key. The problem with that is convincing one of these schools to do it. Boinc are ran on super computers built for schools to learn and study. All of them are ran by volunteers and students. There is absolutely no profit being made and that is part of the program. Convincing them that they should align a blockchain and release coins with there research is a long shot that will take a heavy pocket and major convincing. we are still a ways away from that but curecoin can push it there.

Right now it is a little strange but the development team has been handling it professionally and the coins have been fairly distributed.

So far curecoin is already the #1 folding team and has already done so much work even if it were to fail now it would have already accomplished great things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Imagery View Post

So you'd have to fold for that specific team in order to gain CureCoins?

Unfortunately yes you do. All the monitoring is gathered from the curecoin team. After you get started you sign up at www.cryptobullionpools.com with your exact same (case sensitive) username for folding. It then monitors the points submitted and eventually pays out in cure. it is delayed quite a bit it takes at least 24 hours after work submission before your points appear on the pool, then up to another 24 hours to receive them. they are working on speeding things up but its currently a slow process to assure everything is verified and points are legitimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 215)
I understand but I've still got this "I've got a bad feeling about this" feeling. I really think they should focus more on making it so that it's folding while you're mining.

Instead they spent all their energy into creating yet another coin to mine with an already existing algorithm to pay people for folding on their team. Probably didn't even take much. Probably just yet another copy.

Stop asking "why would you do that?" We're in "the pursuit of performance" here.
Do you have Too Much Airflow?

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 105 (Unique: 85)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfree88 View Post

this was already attempted with gridcoin. the problem is that mining takes too much power. so when you combine mining and boinc you get 95% mining 5% boinc. It was a good attempt but still didnt work properly. Curecoin is a step in the right direction. I believe you are right though full implementation is key. The problem with that is convincing one of these schools to do it. Boinc are ran on super computers built for schools to learn and study. All of them are ran by volunteers and students. There is absolutely no profit being made and that is part of the program. Convincing them that they should align a blockchain and release coins with there research is a long shot that will take a heavy pocket and major convincing. we are still a ways away from that but curecoin can push it there.

Right now it is a little strange but the development team has been handling it professionally and the coins have been fairly distributed.

So far curecoin is already the #1 folding team and has already done so much work even if it were to fail now it would have already accomplished great things.
Unfortunately yes you do. All the monitoring is gathered from the curecoin team. After you get started you sign up at www.cryptobullionpools.com with your exact same (case sensitive) username for folding. It then monitors the points submitted and eventually pays out in cure. it is delayed quite a bit it takes at least 24 hours after work submission before your points appear on the pool, then up to another 24 hours to receive them. they are working on speeding things up but its currently a slow process to assure everything is verified and points are legitimate.

DM hits several good points here. I agree that CureCoin is moving in the right direction, but this is all new ground here. IMO this is where crypto as a whole should be headed; use the compute power for something more than "empty" hashes to secure a blockchain. The dynamics are still being worked out, it's evolutionary.
Quote:

I understand but I've still got this "I've got a bad feeling about this" feeling. I really think they should focus more on making it so that it's folding while you're mining.

Instead they spent all their energy into creating yet another coin to mine with an already existing algorithm to pay people for folding on their team. Probably didn't even take much. Probably just yet another copy.

I understand your apprehension, but I don't think it is warranted if you read the ANN thread, and know the histories of Gridcoin and CureCoin. The ANN makes the coin's parameters transparent. As DM pointed out above, Gridcoin attempts the unified approach, but mining takes up too many resources. I'm sure eventually a unified mining/folding platform can be implemented, but it is going to be technically challenging on many levels. Non-profit research programs like BOINC and [email protected] don't have the inclination or resources to make a unified platform, though IMO they should. It's just going to take time. As for CureCoin, I have been following it since November. If the intent of the devs was to simply just make "yet another copy" for their own financial benefit, why would they take so long to do it? Yes, it is a hindrance that you can only earn CureCoins via one team ATM, but what does the CureCoin team stand to gain from having more folders/PPD? What is their incentive? Are you implying that Stanford, or some other outside third party, is providing some sort of financial incentive for folding production?

Does FOLDING make you feel MAGICAL? Of COURSE it does!

"It may not seem logical, but trust me. I know where I'm going. And it's far."

post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 215)
Yeah I'm one of the first 20 people to post in their original ANN I believe. I was skeptic then, and I'm still skeptical now.

No I don't think they're getting financial incentives from a 3rd party for the folding efforts. Personally I feel like they're just taking advantage of [email protected] to generate the hype. They're just going to sell their coins and the bigger the hype, the more BTC's they'll get from it.

I feel like they're just learning from the experience of Primecoin. It was so hyped up that it slowly fell unlike the other coins that falls in value quickly when created. But in the end all they did was make a mine-able coin and not go anywhere with it. They didn't go mainstream with it or anything. It's just mine and dump, mine and dump.

I feel like that's all curecoin is going to be. Just like all these other coins out there. They're not going do anything with it except just be listed on an exchange for selling. People are going to buy it and fold for it just for the hype of it. But what can they do but sell it? Nothing. It's just another coin that the creators created so that they can make money off the hype for a longer period of time than just creating yet another animal or joke coin that everyone else is doing.

Nobody is making new coins so that it becomes an actual currency. They're just all making coins to get some easy BTC's.

Stop asking "why would you do that?" We're in "the pursuit of performance" here.
Do you have Too Much Airflow?

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Eh, Wha?

Rep: 720 (Unique: 532)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Imagery View Post

10amps? That doesn't even sound right.

You're right, it doesn't sound right because it shouldn't be. Sadly, it is. We have an electrician coming in to fix the atrocious wiring next week.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
Fukurou
(14 items)
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Core i5-661
Motherboard
GA-H55-USB3
RAM
12GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB
Hard Drive
Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD)
Optical Drive
Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner
Power Supply
Seasonic X750 Gold
Cooling
H50 (With push/pull nocturas)
Case
CM690 II
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64
Monitor
LG 47inch LED LCD
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless
Audio
Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp.
▲ hide details ▲

post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Rep: 350 (Unique: 189)
Quote:

Don't see it. i see that you download FAH and start folding. And then sign up at a pool to get paid.

And what's the point of mining via ASICs? May as well have them just mine the already existing coins and just pay the folders with that. I don't see why they gotta double the man power to make this work. Why can't they make it so that you fold while you mine?

Quote:

Yeah I'm one of the first 20 people to post in their original ANN I believe. I was skeptic then, and I'm still skeptical now.

No I don't think they're getting financial incentives from a 3rd party for the folding efforts. Personally I feel like they're just taking advantage of [email protected] to generate the hype. They're just going to sell their coins and the bigger the hype, the more BTC's they'll get from it.

I feel like they're just learning from the experience of Primecoin. It was so hyped up that it slowly fell unlike the other coins that falls in value quickly when created. But in the end all they did was make a mine-able coin and not go anywhere with it. They didn't go mainstream with it or anything. It's just mine and dump, mine and dump.

I feel like that's all curecoin is going to be. Just like all these other coins out there. They're not going do anything with it except just be listed on an exchange for selling. People are going to buy it and fold for it just for the hype of it. But what can they do but sell it? Nothing. It's just another coin that the creators created so that they can make money off the hype for a longer period of time than just creating yet another animal or joke coin that everyone else is doing.

Nobody is making new coins so that it becomes an actual currency. They're just all making coins to get some easy BTC's.

What's the problem with having a lot of coins for different purposes?

It's a way to generate money to pay the folders with, that's it...and it's a proof of concept as well.
Coin can be forked, and new features implemented to the original code if need be, what's important is Stanford's support, and the dev team, which is really capable.

Primecoin generates a few different prime number chains, that's it...Can't compare that to generating an incentive for people to fold!!!

Come on, Curecoin is the number 1 team in the world right now, and it took 3 days since launch. Give credit where credit is due wink.gif
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 105 (Unique: 85)
Quote:

I agree with you that exploiting [email protected] as a clever way to get BTC was one of my original fears. However, I've done my due diligence. The concept and coin have a long history, as can be seen here and here. The same devs are still with the coin. IMO, I feel that it is absolutely *not* a BTC grab. The Primecoin example seems like a logical analogy, but I think one has to realize that programs like [email protected]/BOINC are orders of magnitude more important than exotic prime number discovery (no offense math geekers). In my view, even *if*, in the very unlikely event, that CureCoin is only just a means to the greedy goals of the devs, is it not better than just "wasting" compute cycles to endlessly hash a blockchain? Even with only ~400 active folders pointed at the CureCoin pool, the CureCoin team has submitted more points to [email protected] in the past 24 hours than the next 5 teams, combined. That is useful, scientific output that more than likely wasn't being generated only a week ago. CureCoin brings people into the [email protected] community that previously were not there, and makes real, tangible use of their (probably) recently purchased compute power. To me, it is a very tough sell to say that these developments are a bad thing.

Does FOLDING make you feel MAGICAL? Of COURSE it does!

"It may not seem logical, but trust me. I know where I'm going. And it's far."

post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 63)
It's about time. Can you pool mine this coin? I think that would be a great leap forward for medical-based distributed computing because we could combine our computing resources to get larger work units done.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.875 GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X370-Pro
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2114 MHz 356 GB/s
RAM
G.SKILL 2x8GB 3126 MHz 12-13-13-32-1T 48 tRC
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum 660XP
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
2 x Cougar CF-V12HP Top Intake
Cooling
Noctua NF-F12 2000 RPM Rear Exhaust
Cooling
2 x Phanteks F140SP Front Intake
Cooling
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM
Case
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q 1440p IPS 150 Hz OC
Keyboard
Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown
Mouse
Logitech G203 Prodigy
Audio
Schiit Asgard 2
Audio
OPPO PM-3
Audio
HIFIMAN HE-560
Audio
Cambridge DacMagic 100
CPU
AMD Phenom 9650 2.83 GHz
Motherboard
Foxconn A74MX-K
RAM
OCZ 1x1GB DDR2 533 MHz 5-4-4-15-1T 15 tRC
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
Power Supply
OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W
Cooling
Ryzen Wraith + Zip Ties
Cooling
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in