Recommendations for Ethernet Router - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommendations for Ethernet Router

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
For years I've used and trusted my D-Link DGL-4100 4-Port GamerLounge Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DGL-4100-GamerLounge-Broadband-Gigabit/dp/B0006TIA0C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381712517&sr=8-1&keywords=gamer+lounge

A long and really ugly story short, one of our housekeepers entered my computer room without permission and stepped on it. mad.gif

So I need a replacement:

1) Ethernet wired only - Please don't try to sell my on wireless. If I want "public exposure", I'd prefer to run naked through the streets. thumb.gif

2) I want the same control I had with the GamerLounge router - port control, firewall security, etc.

3) I don't play games. I use my 4 computers and file server for business only.

Noobie question: I have the following on my hardwired network:

1) Comcast Business Class Modem
2) Router (need recommendations)
3) 2 Unmanaged switches

I was thinking of connecting all 5 computers via ethernet to the Router, with a WAN to the Comcast Modem and a LAN to one of the unmanaged Netgear switches. To maximize file transfer would I be able to program the router to course file transfer from computer to computer through the unmanaged switches and thereby not confuse/mix up the file transfer throughput with internet download and upload speeds?

Perhaps more clearly stated: Internet Traffic through the Router; File transfer through the unmanaged switches. (Didn't see a reason for managed switches - maybe that was dumb?)

I sure hope that makes sense. I'm taking some pain meds now cause of last week's knee surgery so my mind is a bit muddy. My apologies.

Please note that I have received (from one individual: "bombastinator") some rather nasty PM's suggesting that I am flaunting my "gratuitous wealth", as bombastinator called it. Apparently this statement proved offensive to this rather mean-spirited individual:
Quote:
A long and really ugly story short, one of our housekeepers entered my computer room without permission and stepped on it.

After insulting me, my knowledge of computers, my integrity, and my family, he concluded by saying
Quote:
You are obviously not an enthusiast, yet while you can afford it, you can't or won't hire someone with credentials to work on this network.

All this bespeaks someone who is crooked as hell. This may in fact not be true, but as the saying doesn't quite go, it certainly quacks like one.

Clarification: One of our housekeepers did step on the router.

As for our "gratuitous wealth", the caregivers are here on a 24/7 basis because my Mother is dying of cancer.

Unlike many people nowadays, we do not warehouse our elders in a nursing home. We invest our limit funds in the best care possible so that they can live and eventually die surrounded by a loving family.

My father passed in '08. I administered the liquid morphine to calm his breathing at 4:45 am and held his hand and comforted him until he eventually passed on at 5:15 am.

I treat everyone on OCN as I would wish to be treated myself. With that said, I must add that truly sick and depraved individuals who mock my family and call my integrity into question I have never before encountered on Overclock.net.

"bombastinator" You sir should really be ashamed of yourself. You are not OCN quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 72)
Goodness gracious! You must be rich, LOL! Someone in my extended family has a broken pelvis (never to grow back) and rapid cancer cells, so I know what it feels like.

This TP-LINK should do you good; http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-R470T-Balance-Broadband-Configurable/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381792738&sr=1-5&keywords=router+5+port

For that bombas(tard)tinator, you seem to be incapable of keeping your mouth to yourself. So shut up. And leave OCN. NO ONE WANTS YOU!!

Best of OCN (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by incurablegeek go_quote.gif

Nah, TheN00bBuilder, no need for you to be jealous of my slow-speed internet. My striking good looks and rock-hard abs - well, that's a whole 'nother story. thumbsupsmiley.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn go_quote.gif

Pros: no more quartet of 40mm fans playing "Jet Engine in 12V Minor."
Quote:
Originally Posted by crust_cheese go_quote.gif

I run a UNIX. This means that I get girls about as often as my PC crashes. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake2 go_quote.gif

Uhmmm, you dont pay for girlfriends. You pay for hookers.
Clubs (Click to show)

The OCN Jazz Club!

jealoussmiley.gifJealous Much Of My Mobo?jealoussmiley.gif

Proud Member of the [Official] OCN Headphones and Earphones Club! headphone.gif

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 139)
You realize of course that I have the entire exchange recorded in my PM settings as you do in yours. I did not PM you, you PMed me to start with and you were quite nasty. I notice none of your diatribes are mentioned, and only select sections of mine, which were on the whole, more polite. No sick relatives, or relatives of any kind, were ever mentioned, and the term "maid" seems to have morphed into "caregiver". A wholly different term.

You have done a twisting "slim down" of the conversation worthy of Fox News. Perhaps this is how you actually see it, which given your previously unknown situation, is perhaps understandable to a degree. It looked very very different from my end.

My mother died of cancer as well. In the 1970s when things were a bit more primitive. It took 8 years. We didn't have home care givers as Hospice wasn't invented yet. Being 9 when it started, I did not deal with it particularly well. I know what it is to be angry without a direction like that, and the need to lash out and hurt anything at all is intense. You apparently have chosen to do it at me. That's fine, it's just the internet after all. I can take it.

if you wish to continue to discuss the particulars of the conversation I am comfortable with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN00bBuilder View Post

Goodness gracious! You must be rich, LOL! Someone in my extended family has a broken pelvis (never to grow back) and rapid cancer cells, so I know what it feels like.

This TP-LINK should do you good; http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-R470T-Balance-Broadband-Configurable/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1381792738&sr=1-5&keywords=router+5+port

For that bombas(tard)tinator, you seem to be incapable of keeping your mouth to yourself. So shut up. And leave OCN. NO ONE WANTS YOU!!

If the OPs description of events was accurate, I would agree with you.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@ TheN00bBuilder, thank you so much for your suggestion and your kind support on the "irrelevancy". I used to be very active on OCN, but haven't of late had too many questions that I couldn't root out and answer myself. I kind of assumed/hoped DuckieHo would eventually chime in and lend us some of his vast knowledge in this area. He's a much smarter Duck than I am, that's for sure.

For about 15 years now, I've pretty much been a close my eyes and buy D-Link or Netgear products, so TP-Link is new to me. Most of what I read nowadays is for wireless routers, very little for hard-wired ethernet routers, so I'm seriously hurting for reliable information. Every little bit helps and is sincerely appreciated.

As my nickname (IG) would indicate, I am a bit of an OCD tech-addict, never happy unless I know everything. I can therefore be pretty annoying. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't too mindful of traffic flow, network speeds, etc. until my beloved GamerLounge got scrunched by Dumbo. Then I started thinking about:

1) How I can dedicate one network to internet information gathering and one network to computer-to-computer file transfer.

2) How I can supplement my Comodo (free) firewall with a programmable router, what ports on my computer are safest to use for internet downloads, whether port randomization is necessary for serious security, etc., etc.

Therefore if you know of any books to read that would bring me up to speed on networking I would be seriously grateful.

The TP Link you suggested doesn't have enough LAN ports for me (My bad for not being more specific), but I'll contact TP-Link tech support and seek their advice as to which of their products might meet my needs.

As to my incalculable wealth, I'm the kind of guy who pours all of his money into electronics but also has holes in his underwear. Priorities, I guess. biggrin.gif

++++++++++++++++

I just noticed that two more posts had been made by "b...." As to
Quote:
I did not PM you, you PMed me to start with and you were quite nasty.
That's quite true. I did PM you. I thought it better to do so than to muddy the thread with back and forth bantering.

Here is the complete and exact text of my PM to "b...":
Quote:
OCN is a quality forum.

Your comment "one of your housekeepers?" just hire a pro to build a network for you." is therefore completely out of line with what is acceptable behavior on this forum.

As Mark Twain said, "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". wink.gif

Hardly what I would call "nasty". As for the semantics of maid, housekeeper, caregiver, I must sincerely apologize. The individual who stepped on the router happens to perform all of those duties. But then the topic of the thread was "Recommendations for Ethernet Router".

Let's talk about that, shall we? smile.gif

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

1. I'm only the equipment guy. You may have to ask someone else.
2. The TP-LINK has firewalls and port blockers built in.
But, it doesn't have the right amount of ports. Right. An idea would be a switch connected directly to the router? I do that with my router/modem, and it works fine; http://www.frys.com/product/7583486?source=googleps&gclid=CMPWx7DnmLoCFeHm7AodIBwAQQ

Quote:

Nah, TheN00bBuilder, no need for you to be jealous of my slow-speed internet. My striking good looks and rock-hard abs - well, that's a whole 'nother story. thumbsupsmiley.png
Quote:

Quote:

I run a UNIX. This means that I get girls about as often as my PC crashes. mad.gif
Quote:

Clubs (Click to show)

The OCN Jazz Club!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

well it is a fairly oblique way to call someone an idiot and tell them to shut up. And given current knowledge it is not as nonsensical, self serving, and supercilious as it appeared at the time.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
The data does not have to go through the router. For intranet transfers, data can go through only the switch.

Visualizing your network might help us make recommendations.

Here's mine (documentation in progress):

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

@ TheN00bBuilder
Quote:
1. I'm only the equipment guy. You may have to ask someone else.
2. The TP-LINK has firewalls and port blockers built in.
But, it doesn't have the right amount of ports. Right. An idea would be a switch connected directly to the router? I do that with my router/modem, and it works fine; http://www.frys.com/product/7583486?source=googleps&gclid=CMPWx7DnmLoCFeHm7AodIBwAQQ

First of all, you're not "only" anything. Your suggestion was extremely helpful, because the TP-Link has firewalls and port blockers built in - Just what I am looking for! So thanks much. Also, I might be able to work around the limited number of ports. Just kinda curious why my original GamerLounge was $100 more expensive.

+++++++++++
@DuckieHo
Quote:
The data does not have to go through the router. For intranet transfers, data can go through only the switch.

Exactly what I would like to do. Briefly, here's my setup - and my conundrum:

1) 2 Win 7 64 bit computers - one for product design and one for website design and audio-visual (photography, movie editing, Media Monkey feeding Onkyo sound system, etc.)
2) 1 Linux computer (because I eventually wish to migrate to open source and need to learn Linux now; therefore kind of a playtime, non-mission critical computer, at least as of now
3) File Server for onsite file/work backup (also back up on cloud)

I really only need the 2 Win 7 and the 1 Linux computers to have access to the internet. But I need all 4 computers to file share - with terabytes of files transferred on occasion.

Question: Am I over-thinking this network in my desire to separate file transfer and internet access? Could be a really dummy question, I dunno. Also, how would I separate file transfer and internet downloads or searches, for example, to maximize line speed.

Note: All of this is CAT-6 cable hard-wired ethernet. I notice that the whole world has gone wireless crazy simply because wireless is convenient. Not wishing to start a separate (and possibly angry) discussion but I will never ever go wireless. Sweeping hypocrisy aside for a moment, I do have a wireless router, but only for my laptop and on an isolated line for security. Also, I have a Comcast Business Class IP Gateway modem, which I understand can be seriously programmed. I don't know how and I don't trust Comcast, so that's kind of an irrelevancy I guess.

Thanks guys - and I really am sorry to be such a PITA. It's kind of a genetic thing I think. smile.gif

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Thanks! Also, I'm envious of your Business Class internet. The best I can get down here is 6MBPS from ATT DSL that costs an arm and a leg. I'd imagine your service costs less than mine. 64.99 a month for me.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Clubs (Click to show)

The OCN Jazz Club!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in