Linksys EA6500 Mod - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Linksys EA6500 Mod

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 553 (Unique: 389)
So found this router on Ebay, thought it was a damn good deal for a 3x3:3 AC router. For Around $40, I said why not. Considering I already had all the tools needed to do this mod, and a Extra Power adapter. So really the only thing I bought was the Router.

Now for the goodies. biggrin.gif

How the router looks stock, it is fairly big. Bigger than my old TP-Link.

As you can see, it has crap cooling from the start. Ticking Time Bomb. So I fixed it up with some Heatsinks. The wireless AC chip gets pretty hot compared to the rest, so this was a must IMO.

U.FL to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna adapters attached, had bought extra when I did my WNDR3400 mod.

Drilled Holes and mounted the Antenna Adapters.

One of the Cables was not long enough, so I had to steal one from my WNDR3400. So I thought I might as well post what that looks like inside.

Looking good biggrin.gif

Before:

After:

So far so good, Wifi performance has increased. Atleast on the 5ghz side, as that is all I tested. Will post benchmarks later.

But for anyone that has this router and wants to improve it, this is a vary easy mod to accomplish.

Oh and Lets not forget DD-WRT, as the Stock GUI on this router sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 487 (Unique: 382)
Interesting.

What's the gain on those antennas?

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

Interesting.

What's the gain on those antennas?

7dbi

Also Wiki page for the router thumb.gif
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_EA6500_v1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Retired Staff

Cool. Just make sure you're within ERP limits. thumb.gif

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The router runs the AC chips at under 100mW, but I may try and push it up to 100mW if needed. And The 5Ghz spectrum doesn't go too far, so i'm happy so far. As 5ghz performance is defiantly up.

As for Benchmarks, Here is a quick one. But note this is all done with a Intel 5100 wireless card, so it is only a two stream N only. I have the laptop nearly in the line of sight about 10 yards away.

Server to laptop with my old TP-Link

Laptop to Server

Now for the New Router, Server to Laptop.

Laptop to Server

As you can see the Speed of the Laptop back to the Server didn't really improve, probably a limitation of the Intel 5100 card. Will be adding the Intel AC card to my laptop at some point. I did see a nice improvement in Download speed.

I get the same performance Stilling directly next to my TP-Link, 10 yards away with my laptop. Thanks to this new router. thumb.gif
But I do have to say those TP-Link results are lower than they should be, as I have had it pushing a decent amount more at that range. Just didn't feel like messing with it.

Etherway I wasn't having any wifi problems, I just upgraded for fun. Still never had a problem streaming 1080p to my Fire TV stick 10 yards away over 5ghz. But Now I am atleast 4K ready. tongue.gif
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 376 (Unique: 348)
Very interesting and a nice work!

: : Core i5 750 Club : :

wink.gifCore I5 7xx Clubwink.gif
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

Very interesting and a nice work!

Thanks. Kinda my first real thread. Always wanted to make a Mod Thread, and now I have. biggrin.gif

At least anyone that owns a EA6500 and stumbles into this thread looking for idea, has a good start. thumb.gif

Kinda wish I did a before and after benchmark with the EA6500, but that GUI was so Horrid. tongue.gif
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK, Update.

I ended up finding a problem with DD-WRT that required me ditching it for now. Sadly frown.gif . Problem was it wouldn't channel bond, so my devices wouldn't go into 40/80mhz mode. While MiMo worked fine. Also I'm not sure why my TP-Link was going slow, as I used to have that and my WNDR3400 Bridged to I could stream shows to my TV before getting my fire tv stick. Would get a solid 11.5MB/s most of the time, and my laptop in the same place would do slightly better. Now When I went to Test my EA6500's performance close up, I was still getting the same 12.5 I got 10 years away. When I was getting 13-14MB/s from my TP-Link while being next to it. As I used to have no problem getting 300mbps connection to my TP-Link with DD-WRT, but all I could get with the EA6500's DD-WRT install was 144mbps. Performance was spot on, if only Channel Bonding worked.

So I reverted back to the Stock Linksys firmware. Does everything I need it to, and wireless performance is fixed. I'll try DD-WRT again in the future.

This is about 10 yards away with the stock firmware. Pretty good IMO, considering I never got much more than 12MB/s from my TP-Link on a good day from this distance.

This is directly next to my router. Pretty good for a 2 stream N connection. 156mbps on a 300mbps connection. thumb.gif

Upload speed from laptop to server at 10 yards has improved too. With around 8-9MB/s when I tested it.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Retired Staff

156Mbit/s OTA for 2x2 802.11n is definitely impressive. That's about the highest real-world I've seen out of an N box.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It does use the same BCM4360 as the Netgear Nighthawk. So that explains the good 5ghz performance. biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in