I picked up a Linksys WRT54G for 50 cents, now I want to install DD-WRT on it - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

I picked up a Linksys WRT54G for 50 cents, now I want to install DD-WRT on it

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 254 (Unique: 189)
Linksys WRT54G v5

I picked this router up for $ .50 at a thrift store and thought it was interesting since you can install cutom firmware on it. I went to the DD-WRT site and looked at the tutorial and one of the things that struck me as odd was why they recommend using a custom VX image because:
Quote:
IN SPITE OF SOME OTHER INSTRUCTIONS ELSEWHERE, YOU REALLY NEED TO CREATE A CUSTOM VX Image for your router. If you don’t you will get a generic MAC address on your router and a generic MAC address will mean most ISP won’t let you connect to the Internet.

Now, isn't it correct that an ISP only sees the MAC address of the modem and not the router? If so so, how could an ISP block your internet connection since they could not possibly know the MAC address of your router?

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 PM

never heard of doing any of that... always just flashed the custom firmware and went straight to OC !

*You will be limited to 100Mbs using the router too... so if you run into some 'less than stellar' speed test results.. you'll know why.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 553 (Unique: 389)
Ouch, the v5.

I had a v5, lack of RAM and ROM suck hard. Lack of RAM really makes this router crash with any heavy load, and pretty much forces you to lower down the max # of Connections it can have with the outside world. Otherwise it will crash.

As for installing DD-WRT, just download the DD-WRT firmware for it. And flash it to the device, shouldn't have to do anything more than that.

I wouldn't use it as your main router if you already have something better. Really is a lack luster unit.

Should be fine as a Wireless Bridge in Client mode (receiving wireless).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I already have the Netgear wgr614 v9 which has never given me problems. I would use the Linksys on a second computer without having to use a wireless adapter, especially if I plan to run Linux on the second PC. I could just use it in bridge mode?

This is what I want to do, pretty self explanatory. I want to use wifi only on my Netgeear router to connect with devices (it does this already) and have Linksys use only a wired connection to the other PC.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

I already have the Netgear wgr614 v9 which has never given me problems. I would use the Linksys on a second computer without having to use a wireless adapter, especially if I plan to run Linux on the second PC. I could just use it in bridge mode?

Yeah that Netgear you have is a decent deal better than that Linksys, granted it is about a decade old now. Might want to think about picking up a cheap wireless N router for like $20 or something.

For Example, the king of the $20 router.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mpbs/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1437063979&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+router

Has two wireless streams compared to the single stream wireless G routers have, so it should help with overall wireless performance. Even if you have old wireless G equipment connected to it.

That linksys will act fine in wireless client bridge mode, that is what I used to use mine for. After it failed to be used as a router back in the day. Was a solid wireless client till it stopped working one day. Better than most crummy wireless G USB sticks. Plus you can connect anything you wish to it, not just PC's. But also Bluray players and whatnot.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Do I need DD-WRT to use this router in bridge mode?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

Do I need DD-WRT to use this router in bridge mode?

Yes, The stock Linksys firmware will not allow bridge mode.

Just Install DD-WRT onto the unit, after which putting it into bridge client mode is pretty easy.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Type in WRT54G v5, all the files you need are there. They no longer make new versions for that old router, so these files are pretty much as good as it will get.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

Some Instructions to help you flash it, as it is a little more complex than flashing most router's these days.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Why would client bridge mode be more desirable than using the Linksys as an wireless access point while still using the Ethernet connection? Is the difference that the Linksys will have more overhead and degrades throughput?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Wireless access point mode can not receive wireless, only broadcast out for others to connect to it.

If you want to use it to receive wireless from another access point, you need a bridge mode. And the stock linksys firmware does not have this option. DD-WRT will add in this option.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you kindly for the clarification. I was thinking about installing DD-WRT on this router and giving it my brother who is not very network savvy. He currently has his Xbox connected to a wireless router through an ethernet cable and has to use a wireless adapter on his PC in the other room. He can not connect his xbox wirelessly. i suggested he run an Ethernet cable through the basement and up to his PC but that's not feasible. He is currently having issues with his keeping a good connection with his wireless adapter and is constantly unplugging the adapter to reset the internet connection.

I'm sure that if he connected this Linksys router to his PC and setup the MAC address ect, it would offer a more reliable connection and he would not need a wireless adapter anymore. The question is does the Netgear router attached to the Xbox have to be connected to his PC for him to add the MAC address of the Linksys, or can the Linksys be connected right to his PC so he can add the SSID and password from there? Would it be easier to have the wireless router, or the Linksys connected to the Xbox?

EDIT:
He can log into the Netgear router from his PC wirelessly, so does he simply have to add the MAC address of the Linksys into the Netgear before removing his wireless adapter? then once the Linksys is plugged into his PC Ethernet port, can he log into it and add his router's SSID and password?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in