Asus RT ac86u clients disappearing reappearing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus RT ac86u clients disappearing reappearing

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Asus RT ac86u clients disappearing reappearing

As per title my Asus router strangely has the client number going up and down what seems like randomly via the browser interface. I don't seem to get any connection problems on the actual devices but it's a bit annoying and odd that they disappear like that then come back... Sometimes client number is 0 other times 3...4...1 etc... I was on the original firmware but just flashed Merlin but I guess it keeps the settings... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 AM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Are you having any adverse effects at all from this or is it just simply an annoyance as you have stated? Also, have you shut down all devices connected to the router and checked to see if the number still fluctuates? Have you looked for any traffic that may be unauthorized?

Any time I see adverse effects like this my first go to is to ensure something is not being exploited. This is hard to do though if your not familiar with those types of attacks. Where as this seems almost software/firmware related it may be prudent to take time to perform a few safety steps. Though this particular symptom could be indicative of a DeAuth/Poisoning attack that I would use for pen testing.

1. Change your SSID
2. Change your password. (Hint: Simple passwords on routers is akin to closing your door and hoping a thief thinks its locked, all routers can be exploited)
3. Hide your SSID. (This will only stop the unskilled exploiters)
4. Check if the issue still occurs.
5. If issue is still recurring after changing above steps weigh the below options at risk level/confidence.
6. Hard Reset
7. Rollback firmware.
8. Dynamic/Static IP Assignments.
9. MAC Filter (Always use this feature unless your constantly having quests with different equipment)(https://www.microcenter.com/tech_cen...ireless-router)
10. Lock mobile devices to a longer range band. (IE. Network 802.11G ~ 2.4GHz) (Remember, as you increase throughput speeds you reduce range)
11. Verify devices on the 802.11n/ac network band are in sufficient range not to have connection issues. (This could be fallout from MIMO antennas constantly opening new channels and breaking them again)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Are you having any adverse effects at all from this or is it just simply an annoyance as you have stated? Also, have you shut down all devices connected to the router and checked to see if the number still fluctuates? Have you looked for any traffic that may be unauthorized?

Any time I see adverse effects like this my first go to is to ensure something is not being exploited. This is hard to do though if your not familiar with those types of attacks. Where as this seems almost software/firmware related it may be prudent to take time to perform a few safety steps. Though this particular symptom could be indicative of a DeAuth/Poisoning attack that I would use for pen testing.

1. Change your SSID
2. Change your password. (Hint: Simple passwords on routers is akin to closing your door and hoping a thief thinks its locked, all routers can be exploited)
5. If issue is still recurring after changing above steps weigh the below options at risk level/confidence.
6. Hard Reset
7. Rollback firmware.
9. MAC Filter (Always use this feature unless your constantly having quests with different equipment)(https://www.microcenter.com/tech_cen...ireless-router)
10. Lock mobile devices to a longer range band. (IE. Network 802.11G ~ 2.4GHz) (Remember, as you increase throughput speeds you reduce range)
11. Verify devices on the 802.11n/ac network band are in sufficient range not to have connection issues. (This could be fallout from MIMO antennas constantly opening new channels and breaking them again)
Ok lots to check thanks I'll have to do that tmrw now. One thing I forgot to mention is the internet / WAN connection is basically constantly going... fast flickering. I just dismissed it as it's way of working but it is odd and never stops. I'm suspicious of my modem (virgin hub 3.0 in modem mode) ... I'm wondering if something is interfering etc.... thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

1. Change your SSID
6. Hard Reset
7. Rollback firmware.
Well I've been trying to work this out still... It still does it with the hub / modem turned off and with one client connected etc etc. I forgot to say this is a new network I'm setting up hence I was unsure of what's what ...but beginning to get into it. Wireshark tells me the router is doing the : who has 1xx.xxx.xxx.01 tell (my router address) then 02 03 ips etc. . When all the things are disappearing and reappearing... And the fast flashing is still constant and is from the wan connection only... 😕
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Do you live in Condos or Apartments? Will there be a lot of competing signals here?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Do you live in Condos or Apartments? Will there be a lot of competing signals here?
Terraced house and yes a few but not major amounts of signals. Anyway I've had a development... I plugged my old laptop via ethernet directly into the modem with wireshark running and I got 15000 hits in seconds... It is very odd .

Last edited by dpl2007; 01-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in