Fastest mesh router - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Fastest mesh router

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 108)
Fastest mesh router

I currently have a orbi with 2 satellites. It covers my house but I hate the bugs. I'm paying for 1 ghz down and can't get it even when hardwired. At least not without a ton of troubleshooting.

My house kills wifi signals so a stand alone router may not work. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are. I could get 400 or so by breaking up my orbi. My budget for this would be 600.

I loved the ports on the orbis. Currently have 10 devices hardwired. Planned to daisy chain but all the issues make me feel like it may not be worth it.

Last edited by CrazyHeaven; 03-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Maybe pay someone a hundred bucks to run some cables for you and just run a ubiquiti usg + a couple AP's. No mesh needed. If your house kills wifi mesh is a bad idea anyways.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Retired Staff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
If you want something high-end, and you don't want to have to worry about all the extra components involved in Ubiquiti's Suite of Cloud-managed AP's, you can go OpenMesh by Datto. My company implements them at all of our clients - some of them are home-based clients, many others are office clients. All of them rave about their WiFi ever since we began implementing them.

No matter the situation, these things are really easy. They have PoE; they daisy chain through the air with only one connected as a base; they're EXTREMELY strong; they don't need much extra hardware to set them up; plus, they do everything that Ubiquiti can do, and more.

My experience with Ubiquiti: you require the additional component between the APs and your network to manage the devices from the cloud, and you have to take the time to set each one up individually with the cloud system. Granted, I think they're a little less costly (not including the cloud-managed component), but you get what you pay for.

With OpenMesh, you just pop in the MAC address, and it configures the router to your network settings you have setup on the account. Changes made on the account to network settings are immediately pushed to all devices (same as Ubuiqiti, but I don't have to pay $130 to manage my devices). Truly a breeze, and the web GUI is phenomenal.

If you contact them through here, they will respond with what they can sell to you at a reasonable cost: https://www.openmesh.com/datto-networking/contact-us
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Retired Staff

You know that you don't need a cloud based controller for unifi right? You can run the app off your pc/mac/docker container w/e.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
I was interested in learning more and seeing what is available with the OpenMesh products, but they made it so stupidly complicated that I just cant care enough about them to even bother jumping through their hoops. They should learn to move past the business models that were phasing out in the 90s.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
what are your walls made of? Plaster / drywall ?

how big is your sq footage of the house?

where are you placing your hot spots?

and lastly are you running them all off wirelessly or your AP's connect via hardwired?

Just curious on your lay out.

Cause as @JedixJarf suggested, doing the ubiquiti Unifi would probably be a good start for you. would eliminate using mesh.

his suggestion would be your best route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in