Hardware required for hosting small website - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hardware required for hosting small website

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
I took this profile pic

Rep: 135 (Unique: 106)
Hardware required for hosting small website

I'm a photographer and I'm finally getting my own website. It's just going to be a portfolio of photos, a bio section, and an email section where someone can book an hour appointment.

I have a Synology Diskstation and I read that a DS can be used for web hosting. My question is, what do I need hardware wise besides the DS in order to host a small website from my home?

Also, I use Spectrum and I get 100 down and 10 up which should be fine because my website will use small JPEG files of my photography, which means I won't need much bandwidth.

I heard that cable companies don't like when consumers host websites in their homes. They don't like you forwarding certain ports. Anyone know anything about this?

So does anyone have advice, hardware-wise, on how to set up a small website in my home?

Also, would it just be easier to have someone else host the website? I'm willing to pay up to $10 a month for a domain name and server hosting, but I don't know anything about server hosting. I'm kinda flying blind here. Any and all help with any of this is appreciated.

Instagram @patrickmcguirkphotos & @mcguirk.patrick
Psychology grad student, computer hobbyist, self taught photographer
I'm really funny but I don't know when to stop.
I took my profile pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
I had spectrum for a crypto mining business and they throttled my service and created many headaches for me; all without any form of notice or notification. Just something to keep in mind.

Speaking from experience you are going to have a better time springing for a paid hosting service. I have found that web hosting platforms make everything easier and seamless compared to a DIY approach.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
Just buy it. Sadly hosting from home is a nightmare because:
#1 you need an internet provider that isn't crappy (most are) and often you have to pay extra to get a static IP with all ports accessible from internet
#2 your up speed is low and I doubt you have any DDOS protection, nor do really internet providers especially when you want all traffic to reach you kind of connection
#3 hardware and software to buy and setup
#4 website to make or have made for $$$

vs

pay $10 a month and click it like newbie in some web GUI to create your simple website, but you can make even complex ones nowadays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 245 (Unique: 213)
my non-staic ip changes the same time every three months, i have gigabit upload, and I use two generations old hardware... find your own free template and register a domain, set up all the back end stuff (shouldn't take more than an hour), forward your ports, and you're good to go.

Realistically you only need a quad with hyperthreading and 8+ gigs of ram.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Folding Rack
(10 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD r7 1700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
GPU
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
RAM
Geil EVO 1x4GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Silverstone ST-1000PT
Case
4U Rosewill
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Monitor
Headless
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:24 AM
T 0 P K 3 K

Start out with a free Wordpress website on Wordpress.com. Move to a paid plan if you want to use a custom domain and have larger storage amounts.

Hosting your own website on your own hardware is only necessary if you have specific needs and are competent at fully maintaining all the back end components.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in