5GHz 10km 10Gbps Omnidirectional WiFi - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

5GHz 10km 10Gbps Omnidirectional WiFi

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 90 (Unique: 83)
5GHz 10km 10Gbps Omnidirectional WiFi

Hello,

I would like to set up a 5GHz 10km 10Gbps Omnidirectional outdoor WiFi station. The clients are Android phones. Doing WiFi instead of 4G/LTE base station because cost is supposed to be far lower.

I want 5GHz because it'll have the least interference, and need 5Mbps download rate *per client*. I'm taking care of the regulatory process for the 10km. I found the "Rapture GT-AX11000" 10Gbps router.

I have to wire all ethernet ports to the base server but throughput from that is satisfactory. The only question really is the omni-directional antenna (or Antenna World G5730?). No idea how to set it up.

Thanks!

p.s. This will mostly be used to stream videos from the base server to the WiFi clients.

Last edited by Lyoko; 04-24-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 55)
10km is kilometers? As in 10km radius? You need some totally different equipment then. As for the 10Gbps. That is the total bandwidth when you put together 2,4ghz + the 2x 5ghz wifi signal. The Wan port on the router is only gigabit.

R6 - Ryzen
(10 items)
CPU
[email protected] (p-states on)
Motherboard
Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080ti - Rajintek Morpheus II
RAM
Trident Z RGB's 2x8gb - [email protected], 1.35v
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 960 - 500gb
Power Supply
750 G2
Cooling
NH-D15
Case
Fractal Design R6 TG
Monitor
Samsung C27HG70
Audio
990's 250 ohm - Fiio E9
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by DoctorNick; 04-24-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, 10 kilometer radius. I won't use 2.4GHz. I will use 2x 5GHz for clients, and the 3x 1Gb ports and 1x 2.5Gb port (https://www.amazon.com/1000Mbps-Giga...dp/B07PH55QWY/) for the server.

It's not ideal, but it's the best I can get in this price range. What do you mean by totally different equipment ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 331 (Unique: 242)
You are contradicting yourself quite a bit. First you say 10 gigabits per second and 10km range, then you say 5 megabit per second is fine and you are only caring about a router being labeled as 10gb. Then you are saying stuff like 2x 5GHz for clients? That router doesnt use a 2x setup. You also are not going to just stick a random ombi directional antenna on the consumer router and get 10km range. You say something about server and there is nothing at all related to that in your post, and lastly you dont need regulatory process for 5GHz non-licensed spectrum.

Maybe figure out what you are even trying to ask about and what you are wanting to do and then come back.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
I thought he's building some ISP level like or beyond stuff, 10km range at 10gbps omnidirectional is mental, plus no WiFi is 10gbps so I take that as wireless 10gbps. Good luck because whole houses (with many apartments) are connected by narrow directional antennas <1gbps and an antenna itself for 200mbps costed over $6k. Not sure what you specified is even "feasable/doable" certainly not in a sensible price range lol.

A 5mbps wifi with 10km range omni is gonna be a challenge anyway, 10km directional, sure. Omni? Nah, not unless you live in a flat desert with no buildings or something.

Plus the "pro" level antennas and wireless solutions ISPs use are not in free spectrum, so there you do need "license" what have you and comply with laws.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
Yeah that's the directional ISP level kind of stuff, which ranges from expensive to ridiculous. I'm sure they make some WiFi but for long range and high speed it's not WiFi it's wireless, probably proprietary and what not, so you would buy a pair of very very expensive antennas XD Maybe they are cheaper and faster now but I doubt it's by much.

If all you need is a dumb WiFi 5GHz in 1 direction then there are antennas to do that, yagi and so on, if your device supports such antennas. Obviously the ISP level antennas are not just an expensive dish but electronics with it as well, you need a post to mount it on, you need lightning protection on it and for the house etc. It is not a small simple thing to mount as you may think a TV satellite is.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 526 (Unique: 297)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

To clarify, I want the closest I can get to 10Gbps down, but only 5Mbps per client (theoretically, 2K clients).

Unless there's a misunderstanding on my part, I should be able to use an adapter to connect these antennas to the router.

If I need a series of antennas with their own power source pointing in different directions that's totally okay.

Watching that video now.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:21 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 191 (Unique: 174)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
To clarify, I want the closest I can get to 10Gbps down, but only 5Mbps per client (theoretically, 2K clients).

Unless there's a misunderstanding on my part, I should be able to use an adapter to connect these antennas to the router.

If I need a series of antennas with their own power source pointing in different directions that's totally okay.

Watching that video now.
So you want a PtMP(point to multi-point) network? What's your end goal? Have multiple wifi hotspots over a 10km radius? Have one wifi hotspot 10km away? Set up as a WISP(wireless internet service provider)?

I'm looking at putting security cameras and wifi hotspots across a farm currently(getting gear together), it's quite complex to say the least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in