Advice for getting a new wireless router? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Advice for getting a new wireless router?

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 27)
Advice for getting a new wireless router?

My, let's say dad, is a tech geek, and has a lot of it in his house. Although there's nothing wrong with the router we have now, he wants a better one. I overheard him say something around $600, and mention the Netgear Nighthawk (not sure what version). I'm sure we can get a significant increase in speed/stability without it costing that much.

The ISP is Comcast, and he's using their default modem, which he got maybe a year ago. DL speed is 170-180 Mbps on Ethernet. There could potentially be 5-8 devices connected at a time, including an Apple smart TV. I'm assuming lots would perform better than the Xfinity router, but which ones are worth the price?

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 24)
Ok please do not get "plastic" wireless routers. Netgear, Asus, etc are all considered plastic home router which suck.

I strongly recommend a cisco meraki wireless router. I have one and its awesome, I have 475MB Comcast Internet and I get 890mbs connection with AC wireless from all my devices.

I have this model here https://www.amazon.com/Meraki-Applia...gateway&sr=8-5

You will also need a license here https://www.amazon.com/Meraki-Enterp...ateway&sr=8-14

AMD Ryzen 2700X 4.30Ghz \ MSI X470 Gaming M7 \ 16G Vengeance ProRGB 3600
Case: Phanteks LUX Glass / PSU: Corsair RM850x
MSI Duke GTX1080ti, Cooling: TT Ring Plus RGB 280mm
Crucial MX500 525GB SSD, 4tb Barracuda

Last edited by Motley01; 05-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 309 (Unique: 225)
At best get a small business one but they are hard to find and get. Cisco... well OK they will always have something or someone would have cloned their device or they sell their design under different brand, etc. But Cisco named products often cost a fortune and their management used to be beyond outdated atrocious CLI 80s level quality, I'm sure in the last 10 years they have moved to a better control solution to not annoy 90% of their users but it's something to be aware of with Cisco and other business class products.

For a home user I would look into a solution that has an effective traffic shaping so that one super fast download/upload isn't killing the connection for everyone else but it can automatically adapt and prioritize while using as much bandwidth as possible. Fair sharing between users and between connections. That way you can download super fast while using latency sensitive applications at the same time. Something consumer grade devices still struggle with to offer effectively.

Not sure Ubiquiti has something for home WiFi AP router worth getting. But their more pro stuff is often used by ISPs to connect longer distances wirelessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
Ok please do not get "plastic" wireless routers. Netgear, Asus, etc are all considered plastic home router which suck.

I strongly recommend a cisco meraki wireless router. I have one and its awesome, I have 475MB Comcast Internet and I get 890mbs connection with AC wireless from all my devices.

I have this model here https://www.amazon.com/Meraki-Applia...gateway&sr=8-5

You will also need a license here https://www.amazon.com/Meraki-Enterp...ateway&sr=8-14
Nothing cheaper from them? And they're the only reputable company? $500 router + a nearly $200 license in order to use it for only a year seems like a lot. Is that just to get someone to hook it up and configure it? Cuz I can do that. I've just never had to recommend a router for someone.

Everything I own or have used extensively in an alphabetical list. Ask me anything! ^-^
CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Have you seen my Baseball

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
You could just get a few on hub google routers in mesh and place them around the house. It is also reasonably priced, unlike a cisco business class device.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-R...s%2C153&sr=8-3
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
You could just get a few on hub google routers in mesh and place them around the house. It is also reasonably priced, unlike a cisco business class device.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-R...s%2C153&sr=8-3
And one of those on each floor of the house would perform better than just one of these, for example? I wanna future-proof the home, too, but not if there's another device that would offer the same performance for a lot less.

CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
avoid gaming tier, go enterprise.

meraki, as stated above would be great... but as also stated, stupid expensive and licensing.

folks at work also praise the google things as well *(like above), but I've never personally worked with em. Depending on the size of your home, 1-2 per floor would be plenty if properly positioned. That would be a next level gift. Then daddy'o could get everything on the same network w/ a fancy little app like a real boss.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Have you seen my Baseball

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalar View Post
And one of those on each floor of the house would perform better than just one of these, for example? I wanna future-proof the home, too, but not if there's another device that would offer the same performance for a lot less.
Yes, one of the onhub routers on each floor would destroy that "gaming" monstrosity.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Drake87 View Post
Yes, one of the onhub routers on each floor would destroy that "gaming" monstrosity.
Just to be sure, If I got three (one for each floor), one could still function as the gateway, right? I won't need the old router?

CPU
Ryzen 1600
Motherboard
ASRock AB350
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1070
RAM
G-Skill 2x8GB 3200MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500BQ
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Rosewill Viper Z
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer GN246HL
Keyboard
Corsair K65
Mouse
Too many
Mousepad
Too many
Audio
SHP9500
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
they're just WAPs as far as I know, you'll still need a modem.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in