Strange LAN issue - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Strange LAN issue

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Strange LAN issue

[Not sure this is the correct forum for this subject, so if an admin happens along and thinks it should be elsewhere, please find it a new home.]

I'm experiencing a mind-numbing, frustrating issue with my home LAN. It appears the connection of one PC to the wired LAN is (somewhat randomly) causing the whole LAN to go offline, but I'm not sure why or how to best troubleshoot it. Here's the setup:

In a 3-floor house:

o Top floor = cable modem, TP Link AC5400 router, main office with two desktops, printer connected over wired LAN, a 4-port TP link switch running to another desktop in a side office and a laptop that moves about but is usually connected via a cat6 cable, not wirelessly
o Main floor = TP link 8-port LAN switch, 2 PCs, 3 game consoles, Amazon Echo
o Basement = LAN room with 8 desktops connected to a 32 port TP-link switch, all currently disconnected/powered off
o The AC5400 router is running a 2.4ghz wireless connection for the main and basement floors and a 5ghz wireless connection for the top floor, as it's faster
o All cables are Cat5e or Cat6, new and in good condition/tested
o All the PCs are running W10 or W7, all up to date, all with BitDefender 2019 for AV. No known driver issues or other instabilities for over 18 months
o All this is running on a 300 down/50 up cable connection, which outside this issue performs very well

My main daily work/gaming PC is running W10. The second PC in my office is my main back-up and gaming PC for racing sims and flight sims. It's running W7 and at least appears to be the culprit.

Every so often, typically at night, my LAN will go down showing no connection to the internet at all. All PCs appear offline. The modem flashes its Online light white/blue indicating no connection - solid blue = connected. My first thought is my ISP (Charter Spectrum) is down, which is usually not the case.

In the last few days I've noticed an odd correlation with PC2, when this happens. If I reboot that PC then the LAN seems to come back online after it's rebooted. It's not 100% reliable but it's happening too often and the issue goes away too often with only that PC rebooting that I'm 95% sure it's where the problem is.

I've gone through endless attempts at resetting the modem, resetting the router, turning off wifi, disconnecting the basement PC lab, etc. This is the only clue I've found. It suggests to me something on the 2nd PC is causing the issue but I'm not sure what. Something fouling up IP assignments? Bad NIC on the motherboard? Any way to test/troubleshoot that, if so? Other possible cause specific to W7 OS or services that might be a culprit? Any obvious tests to run or commands when it does happen to try to isolate the specific cause toward fixing it? I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone might offer when it happens next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 AM
Typo Elemental

This is definitely the right place for this thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by Crowgasm View Post
Every so often, typically at night, my LAN will go down showing no connection to the internet at all. All PCs appear offline. The modem flashes its Online light white/blue indicating no connection - solid blue = connected. My first thought is my ISP (Charter Spectrum) is down, which is usually not the case.

In the last few days I've noticed an odd correlation with PC2, when this happens. If I reboot that PC then the LAN seems to come back online after it's rebooted. It's not 100% reliable but it's happening too often and the issue goes away too often with only that PC rebooting that I'm 95% sure it's where the problem is.
This right here points to modem issues. Do you rent your modem from spectrum? Or do you own your own? If you rent it, you can have them replace the modem and troubleshoot to see if that addresses the issue.

The only thing I am unclear about is the apparent total network outage. When you lose your connectivity on PC2, do you still have connectivity with other devices?
Have you tried disconnecting PC2 from the network for an extended period of time to determine if that corrects the issue? (Probably like 2 or 3 days minimum)

I've gone through endless attempts at resetting the modem, resetting the router, turning off wifi, disconnecting the basement PC lab, etc. This is the only clue I've found. It suggests to me something on the 2nd PC is causing the issue but I'm not sure what. Something fouling up IP assignments? Bad NIC on the motherboard? Any way to test/troubleshoot that, if so? Other possible cause specific to W7 OS or services that might be a culprit? Any obvious tests to run or commands when it does happen to try to isolate the specific cause toward fixing it? I'd be very grateful for any advice anyone might offer when it happens next.
The only real troubleshooting that I would take from the network perspective is to look at the NIC interface statistics. I have never done it in windows, but on Cisco switches, you can look at an interface and see information including CRC errors, port flap statistics, and the like. Also, you could potentially set up a wireshark instance somewhere in order to look at network traffic, to see if you can find any malformed or strange packets.

The only other thing I would do if you would determine it to be a failing NIC is to buy a replacement gigabit NIC off of Amazon.

CPU
AMD Threadripper 1900x
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA 1080 Classified
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 400GB U.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050w 80+ Gold
Case
Corsair Air 740
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i5 6600k
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Sapphire R9 Nano
RAM
Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Athena AP-MFATX40 400W Flex-ATX
Cooling
be quiet! ​PURE ROCK ​SLIM
Case
Lian-Li PC-TU 100B
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2401
Keyboard
MK Disco RGB TKL (KBT Brown)
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE
Mouse
Razer Firefly Cloth
Audio
Beyerdynam​ic DT 770 ​Pro 80 ohm
Audio
Antlion Audio ModMic 4 w/ Mute
Audio
Schiit Fulla 2
Other
Noctua NF-A9x14 (x2)
Other
Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-92
Other
Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-60 (x2)
Other
Fractal Design GP12-WT
CPU
i7 6800k
CPU
Xeon e5-1620 V3
Motherboard
EVGA Micro 2
GPU
Asus GTX 780
GPU
Sapphire Fury X
GPU
Sapphire RX 480
RAM
Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400
RAM
ADATA - XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB
Hard Drive
Kingston - SSDNow V200
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
be quiet! - PURE ROCK
Case
Thermaltake Core V21
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Simmons,

thanks for the feedback.

I do rent the modem from Spectrum. I have already tried replacing it once, which I'd hoped would rule that out. Unfortunately I'm not convinced it's not the modem, given the number of accounts I've read of people having problems with the latest generation of Spectrum modems. We'll see.

When it goes out, all the connected devices lose internet connection, not just PC2. My sense is that the NIC on PC2 might be the cause, or something about PC2's connection. I suppose it could equally be the port on the router.

With that in mind, I disconnected PC2 entirely for the last 4 days and no problems yet. Although, it's sporadic enough that this could be a coincidence.

If I don't see any problems for 2 weeks, I'll reconnect PC2 and see if the problem recurs. At that point, I will have to look at the options for checking CRC errors etc, then maybe replacing the new cable and NIC.

If the mobo NIC is going bad, is this as simple as buying and installing a PCI/PCIe NIC card and then just disabling the old NIC in device manager?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Simmons,

thanks for the feedback.

I do rent the modem from Spectrum. I have already tried replacing it once, which I'd hoped would rule that out. Unfortunately I'm not convinced it's not the modem, given the number of accounts I've read of people having problems with the latest generation of Spectrum modems. We'll see.

When it goes out, all the connected devices lose internet connection, not just PC2. My sense is that the NIC on PC2 might be the cause, or something about PC2's connection. I suppose it could equally be the port on the router.

With that in mind, I disconnected PC2 entirely for the last 4 days and no problems yet. Although, it's sporadic enough that this could be a coincidence.

If I don't see any problems for 2 weeks, I'll reconnect PC2 and see if the problem recurs. At that point, I will have to look at the options for checking CRC errors etc, then maybe replacing the new cable and NIC.

If the mobo NIC is going bad, is this as simple as buying and installing a PCI/PCIe NIC card and then just disabling the old NIC in device manager?
So I think his question was more to figure out if, when the loss of internet happens to all the PCs, can you still communicate with other PC's On the Network? This will give us a major clue to as the type of outage.

I have dealt with this situation before. In cases where the entire Network actually goes down, meaning not only can you not get to the internet, but you also can not reach any other computer on the network, This means you can't even PING the IP of another PC on the Network. If this is the Case, you might have already determined the issue, Unplug that PC from the Network, OR add a cheap $10 Amazon Gb Nic to it, or pull one out of another PC you might not be using, and Put it in it. I have seen Old Nic cards, particularly Old Mobo Onboard Nic's with the Realtek Chipset, cause this issue when they go bad, basically they create a feedback loop within the network. Simply pulling unplugging that PC from the network, or just unplugging from the Onboard Nic, and plugging into a PCIE one should fix the problem if that is it.

The other possibility if its the entire network going down (not just the internet) is that your Router is overheating. Asus' tend to have this issue. Don't get me wrong, I love ASUS, I actually use them at my own House as well, But I have opened them up and replaced the Thermal Pad's on the Nic Chipset, and added a cheap USB Fan to it, which does the trick. Try simply pointing a fan at it for a couple nights and see if your problem returns.

Also, as @Simmons572 Alluded to, if it is not an Internal Network Issue, but actually just a WAN issue (Internet going down but you can still ping Internal Network Clients) then almost certainly your Modem is to blame. Swallow the $100 and grab yourself a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 Modem, throw the Spectrum provided one through their front Window, and never have to deal with this issue again. Also, in 2 Years time you will have saved money from this purchase, as Docsis 3.1 Modems will most likely be enough to saturate Broadband Speeds for years to come at the pace we are progressing (more like regressing) in the US Broadband market.

Let us know if any of these suggestions helped. And definitely let us know if this issue actually knocks out your Local Network, or Just the Internet.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 2 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 251 (Unique: 217)
I'd also try looking into the local IP's of all the computers, I've had an issue with two computers both with the same static IP's it actually crashed my network. maybe somehow through all of the switches one ip is trying to take another?

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Folding Rack
(9 items)
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Nvidia Titan X Pascal
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G602
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD r7 1700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Plus
GPU
ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!
RAM
Geil EVO 1x4GB DDR4
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB
Power Supply
Silverstone ST-1000PT
Case
4U Rosewill
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Monitor
Headless
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I'd also try looking into the local IP's of all the computers, I've had an issue with two computers both with the same static IP's it actually crashed my network. maybe somehow through all of the switches one ip is trying to take another?
Actually, this can happen, good call!

This will happen when a wireless device, usually something like a Amazon Alexa or a Google Home, and sometimes phones can do this to, when they are used to a particular IP on a network, and it happens to be assigned to one of your PC's on your network, it can cause this crashing behavior. Its not common, but it seems to be coming more regular. One of the easiest ways to avoid this issue is to set Static IPs for all Your Hard Wired Computers, Pick a range, like say if your internal network is 192.168.1.1, then designate addresses 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.1.100 for just static IPs, and assign all your LAN Devices to statics within this range. Then in your DHCP settings designate 192.168.1.101 through 192.168.1.199 to DHCP devices. This way you will never have a device like the Home or an iOT device with crappy Wireless NICs try to take a static IP from your PC again, and avoid this issue. Usually when this issue happens it will only kick one of the PC's off the network, but I have seen it bring a network to its knees before, so its worth looking into.

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 AM
Typo Elemental

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
So I think his question was more to figure out if, when the loss of internet happens to all the PCs, can you still communicate with other PC's On the Network? This will give us a major clue to as the type of outage.

I have dealt with this situation before. In cases where the entire Network actually goes down, meaning not only can you not get to the internet, but you also can not reach any other computer on the network, This means you can't even PING the IP of another PC on the Network. If this is the Case, you might have already determined the issue, Unplug that PC from the Network, OR add a cheap $10 Amazon Gb Nic to it, or pull one out of another PC you might not be using, and Put it in it. I have seen Old Nic cards, particularly Old Mobo Onboard Nic's with the Realtek Chipset, cause this issue when they go bad, basically they create a feedback loop within the network. Simply pulling unplugging that PC from the network, or just unplugging from the Onboard Nic, and plugging into a PCIE one should fix the problem if that is it.
To answer @Crowgasm 's question simply, if they were to grab a new NIC, then yes, all you have to do is disable the old one in Device Manager (assuming you are using some flavour of Windows). That would ensure the onboard NIC would not work if you accidentally plugged an ethernet cable into it.

The other possibility if its the entire network going down (not just the internet) is that your Router is overheating. Asus' tend to have this issue. Don't get me wrong, I love ASUS, I actually use them at my own House as well, But I have opened them up and replaced the Thermal Pad's on the Nic Chipset, and added a cheap USB Fan to it, which does the trick. Try simply pointing a fan at it for a couple nights and see if your problem returns.

Also, as @Simmons572 Alluded to, if it is not an Internal Network Issue, but actually just a WAN issue (Internet going down but you can still ping Internal Network Clients) then almost certainly your Modem is to blame. Swallow the $100 and grab yourself a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 Modem, throw the Spectrum provided one through their front Window, and never have to deal with this issue again. Also, in 2 Years time you will have saved money from this purchase, as Docsis 3.1 Modems will most likely be enough to saturate Broadband Speeds for years to come at the pace we are progressing (more like regressing) in the US Broadband market.
I am going to tend to agree with this potential diagnosis as well. I used to us an Asus RT-AC66U, but the entire network would crap out if myself and my brother were watching/streaming content at the same time, due to the router overheating. This hasn't been an issue for me since I went full custom built pfSense, but that is neither here nor there lol.

I also agree with the suggestion to buy your own DOCSIS 3.1 Modem. Return the ISP Supplied Modem, make sure the ISP isn't charging you a rental fee, and be done with it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I definitely second this suggestion. My old Asus router used to assign duplicate IPs with DHCP, coincidentally around the same time that the router would overheat lol. When the network craps out again, pull up ipconfig on as many of your computers as you can, run ipconfig, and report back if you see any duplicate IP addresses.

CPU
AMD Threadripper 1900x
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA 1080 Classified
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050w 80+ Gold
Case
Corsair Air 740
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i5 6600k
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Sapphire R9 Nano
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Lian-Li PC-TU 100B
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2401
Keyboard
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE
Mouse
Razer Firefly Cloth
Audio
Audio
Audio
Schiit Fulla 2
Other
Noctua NF-A9x14 (x2)
Other
Other
Other
Fractal Design GP12-WT
CPU
i7 6800k
CPU
Xeon e5-1620 V3
Motherboard
EVGA Micro 2
GPU
Asus GTX 780
GPU
Sapphire Fury X
GPU
Sapphire RX 480
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB
Hard Drive
Kingston - SSDNow V200
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
be quiet! - PURE ROCK
Case
Thermaltake Core V21
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by Simmons572 View Post
To answer @Crowgasm 's question simply, if they were to grab a new NIC, then yes, all you have to do is disable the old one in Device Manager (assuming you are using some flavour of Windows). That would ensure the onboard NIC would not work if you accidentally plugged an ethernet cable into it.

I am going to tend to agree with this potential diagnosis as well. I used to us an Asus RT-AC66U, but the entire network would crap out if myself and my brother were watching/streaming content at the same time, due to the router overheating. This hasn't been an issue for me since I went full custom built pfSense, but that is neither here nor there lol.

I also agree with the suggestion to buy your own DOCSIS 3.1 Modem. Return the ISP Supplied Modem, make sure the ISP isn't charging you a rental fee, and be done with it.

I definitely second this suggestion. My old Asus router used to assign duplicate IPs with DHCP, coincidentally around the same time that the router would overheat lol. When the network craps out again, pull up ipconfig on as many of your computers as you can, run ipconfig, and report back if you see any duplicate IP addresses.
100 Percent agree with everything said here. Please let us know when you get a chance how your issue is going. I am interested in finding out what ended up being the issue.

I LOVE PFSENSE, and am FINALLY building my own as well. I love the control over your security it gives you, and am no longer bound to the options Asus' graces us with. Anyways! Great advice!

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(28 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 AM
Typo Elemental

I LOVE PFSENSE, and am FINALLY building my own as well. I love the control over your security it gives you, and am no longer bound to the options Asus' graces us with. Anyways! Great advice!
Not to derail too much, but just wait until you start configuring router on on a stick, and per VLAN VPN configurations

CPU
AMD Threadripper 1900x
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA 1080 Classified
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050w 80+ Gold
Case
Corsair Air 740
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i5 6600k
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Sapphire R9 Nano
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Lian-Li PC-TU 100B
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2401
Keyboard
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE
Mouse
Razer Firefly Cloth
Audio
Audio
Audio
Schiit Fulla 2
Other
Noctua NF-A9x14 (x2)
Other
Other
Other
Fractal Design GP12-WT
CPU
i7 6800k
CPU
Xeon e5-1620 V3
Motherboard
EVGA Micro 2
GPU
Asus GTX 780
GPU
Sapphire Fury X
GPU
Sapphire RX 480
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB
Hard Drive
Kingston - SSDNow V200
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
be quiet! - PURE ROCK
Case
Thermaltake Core V21
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Good info here - thanks everyone.

To answer the question, no, when the internet goes down I can still ping from one of the wired PCs to the others over the LAN. They all lose internet connectivity, however.

I also had the thought on static IPs so I checked that. I'd assigned each PC and other wired devices (i.e. printer, consoles, etc) a static IP but not the Amazon Alexa or other wireless devices. There are also 4 cell phones in the house, plus visitors, so lots of devices. It sounds like I should also assign IPs for the other devices and keep them in separate ranges. Even if that isn't the cause here, it still sounds sensible.

Pretty sure the TP-Link AC5400 router isn't overheating. It has a window AC unit with a tube vent aimed directly at it and my main PC, with good air flow. The big TP-link switch also has internal fans and doesn't get hot. The modem does, however.

On purchasing a modem, does this fit the bill: https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Appr...NsaWNrPXRydWU= - I'm guessing I have to jump through some hoops with my ISP to get this working?

No outages since I disconnected PC2 but then it has gone for 10-14 days in the past without occurring, so I'm still waiting and watching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in