Mesh Network Improve Speed? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Mesh Network Improve Speed?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Mesh Network Improve Speed?

Thanks ahead of time for any input, and please bare with me because I am not a networking pro. I just recently got ATT 1GB fiber internet, and, unfortunately, there is no way to have a hard wired connection from my computer to the router in my new house. Therefore I reluctantly must use wifi for the first time in my life (for my computer). My big problem with wifi is loss of speed, so I am looking for the best alternative to a hard wired connection. Someone recommended setting up a mesh network and putting one of the nodes right next to my computer and running an ethernet cable from the node to the computer.

I could be missing something, but from my understanding a mesh network primarily increases range without the major loss of bandwidth which would be great for a large home or fixing dead spots. My current setup is in my office which is almost directly above the router which is in the living room. Range is not an issue for me at all and I have a strong signal from my office, however, the speed is much slower. My question is, although range is not an issue at all, would adding a mesh network with a single node like I described above increase my internet speed? Or is there a better option?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by jthurmond3 View Post
Thanks ahead of time for any input, and please bare with me because I am not a networking pro. I just recently got ATT 1GB fiber internet, and, unfortunately, there is no way to have a hard wired connection from my computer to the router in my new house. Therefore I reluctantly must use wifi for the first time in my life (for my computer). My big problem with wifi is loss of speed, so I am looking for the best alternative to a hard wired connection. Someone recommended setting up a mesh network and putting one of the nodes right next to my computer and running an ethernet cable from the node to the computer.

I could be missing something, but from my understanding a mesh network primarily increases range without the major loss of bandwidth which would be great for a large home or fixing dead spots. My current setup is in my office which is almost directly above the router which is in the living room. Range is not an issue for me at all and I have a strong signal from my office, however, the speed is much slower. My question is, although range is not an issue at all, would adding a mesh network with a single node like I described above increase my internet speed? Or is there a better option?
I think upgrading the type of WiFi router and card would be your best bet to increase speed and reduce latency.

Mesh would help with distance and weak spots.

But I think the newest standard is 802.11AX, with the prior being AC.

You could get this and not have to worry about buying an AX capable adapter at the PC via a mesh network. As you mentioned above. Or just pick out any adapter/router that are both AX enabled.

Basically you just be plugging in an Ethernet cable to the second mesh point.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboa...et-vig-pics-20

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 217 (Unique: 125)
actually the gigabit powerline network could work better.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post
actually the gigabit powerline network could work better.
Maybe. I'm the distant past I had bad results from power line internet extenders. But perhaps it was the house or older technology. I'm sure it's better now.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with a MoCA network since my house was already wired for COAX. I didn't realize that was an option until today. It over tripled my download speed (230mbps to 850mbps+).

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by jthurmond3 View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
Maybe. I'm the distant past I had bad results from power line internet extenders. But perhaps it was the house or older technology. I'm sure it's better now.
Newer powerline adapters are better than even a few years ago. I've had good success with better speeds with the extollo communications powerline adapter lanplug 2000 that uses G.hn there's also a corresponding product Una that's a wifi or mesh adapter when using more than 1. My previous tp-link av2000 using av2 was slower but broke for a second time which is why i replaced it. You can also do a powerline adapter to a mesh or wifi powerline adapter. If your houses power wire isn't up to snuff or has a lot of interference there's also the ethernet to coax adapters like the moca 2.0 (gbps) adapters and the recently released moca 2.5(gbps) standard, but I couldn't find any products yet using that standard for sale. The downsides compared to the powerline adapters is there are some extra steps involved like using moca rated coax splitters and poe filters which are a one way filter, interfere's with satellite tv, and the price is higher. There's also Ethernet to coax using the G.hn standard made by Comtrend which is cheaper, and can interfere with cable tv if it's on the same line, but is cheaper than the moca adapters. Just wanted to add that G.hn, AV2 and moca 2.0 are all rated to 2 gbps in the best scenario. Id say Moca probably has the potential to run at a higher real world speed at greater distances though, and with moca 2.5 has the fastest rated standard, but at the highest price. If your house is newish like 1980 ish to current powerline could potentially work just fine and is stupidly easy to set up.

Case Labs s8 w/ped| 5820k | RVE10 | Gskill Trident z 3200cl14 | 3x 290x ref | Evga P2 1600w | custom loop; 3x d5 pumps w/ek revo dual + ek x-top csq tops| Heatkiller 150mm tube res | EK rve10 monoblock + 3x Ek gpu blocks | Radiators; 2 Ek XE 360mm, 1 BlackIce 360 gtx + 240mm gts, Alphacool 360mm st30 w/ vardar fans | Aquaero 6 XT

Last edited by Talon720; 08-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in