What is 4x4 NitroQAM? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is 4x4 NitroQAM?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
What is 4x4 NitroQAM?

Hello.
I have the ASUS, PCE-AC88 Network Adapter installed on my computer, and apparently if you have this thing called 4x4 NitroQAM, you can achieve much faster speeds than just regular Wi-Fi internet?
Is that a certain type of Modem/Router from a certain ISP (I have Rogers internet right now), or some settings that you would have to tweak in your modem/router?
It'd be pretty sweet to have such insane speeds.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
4x4 means having a 4-antenna array and can simultaneously connect to 4 MIMO streams. The advertised maximum speed of your Wi-Fi card requires that the router you are connecting to also suppports 4x4 MU-MIMO and they are communicating on an idle 5GHz channel by themselves using the 802.11ac standard.

NitroQAM is just 1024-QAM under a brand name. It's a non-standard implementation in 802.11ac, but standard in 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6). QAM is a family of modulation methods. 1024 means the carrier can have 1024 states (a.k.a symbols), thus each symbol can carry 10 bits of data (log2(1024) = 10). In QAM, carrier states are conveyed by 2 sinusoidal waves (customarily called I and Q waves) with a 90-degree phase difference (orthogonal). The varying combination of I and Q waves's amplitude and phase represents different states. Constellation diagram is often used to visualize QAM.

When both the router and Wi-Fi client support 1024-QAM, each symbol can carry 25% more data compared to the standard 256-QAM (log2(256) = 8, 10/8 = 1.25, so 25% more). If their symbol rates are the same, that equals 25% more data rate.

Basically, Asus let you use some 802.11ax features on 802.11ac. In order to utilize them, you need a 802.11ac Wave 2 router since MU-MIMO is an optional feature. NitroQAM, on the other hand, is completely proprietary, so good luck on that.

If you ask me, just be happy or use ethernet cables.

Budget 2080Ti
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus (MS-7C37) 2.0
GPU
EVGA 2080Ti Black Gaming (11G-P4-2281-KR)
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 750 P2
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S
Cooling
NZXT Kraken X52
Case
MSI MAG Vampiric 011C
Monitor
Dell Ultrasharp U2417H
Keyboard
Realforce TKL SA / R2TLSA-US4-IV
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless
Mousepad
Logitech G PowerPlay
Audio
AudioQuest DragonFly Red
Audio
Etymotic ER4XR
Audio
Sanwa Supply MM-MC24
Audio
XOX MX-3
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in