Using Hex 1 Gig LAN As A Switch? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Using Hex 1 Gig LAN As A Switch?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Using Hex 1 Gig LAN As A Switch?

Hey guys!
Just wanna start off this post by saying I got a crazy good deal on a BRAND NEW Server. It's a Dell Poweredge R420, It came with 2x Xeon 6C 12T CPU's (12C 24T total), 24GB Ram, 2x 1TB HDD, and a quad 1 gigabit network card. I got all of this for $100. Of course it has all of the server goodies such as hardware raid controller, hot-swappable PSU's HDD's, Etc.

Anyways, this is my first time playing around with server hardware. I did my first hardware RAID today with the 1TB drives and put windows server 2019 on it. (I got hooked up with a key as well). So here's my problem. I'm a college student in a dorm room lol. In my small 1 bedroom dorm room, I have my gaming rig, 2x iMac's (8,1 and 9,1) , 1x MacPro 1,1, and of course this server now. I do also have a 10/100 network switch, however one of my goals is to setup a little NAS to save videos (For my youtube channel, check it out, https://www.YouTube.com/c/TheZombieSurvivalist) and even some light games that don't need long HDD access times. One of the problems I'm getting is maxing out the bandwidth of my 10/100 switch (12.5mb/s on crystal disk mark from my main PC to the "NAS")

Now, I got my "NAS" setup (I should use free NAS instead of Windows File Sharing, but I wanna do some things in windows server for now), but my issues is I only have ONE Ethernet port in my room, and I don't wanna go hunt down a 1 Gigabit switch. If possible, I would like to do Wall -> Ethernet on Server -> output to my single Ethernet port on my main PC. I haven't had much luck. I've tried briding connections, but at best, I can only get one machine to have internet at a time. Now, I'm not sure if it's an IP conflicting issue or what, but this would be the most ideal for me (for now). Is there something I can do to achieve this, or do I need to bite the bullet and get a switch?

Official Ryzen 7 3700x Owner!
Holder of Fastest Vega 56 on 3DMark
Main Rig
(8 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Asrock X370 Pro4
GPU
Aorus 1080Ti
GPU
Gigabyte Vega 56
RAM
Vengence PRO RGB
Power Supply
EVGA 750 G2 SuperNova
Cooling
Custom Waterloop
Case
NZXT H500i
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 346 (Unique: 255)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in