Power line adaptors as wifi? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Power line adaptors as wifi?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 156 (Unique: 125)
Power line adaptors as wifi?

Hi, I am an almost total networking novice and I have a situation I'm finding it hard to solve with my Google skills.

We have a small apartment where there is only one socket that receives an internet connection. Unfortunately that one place is in the back corner of the flat in my very young daughters room. My wife, bless her, would much rather there wasn't the source of a wifi signal in that room.

I tried to solve this by buying a set of power line adapters one of which is wifi enabled. My naive hope was that I could simply set up the power line adapters and turn off the wifi radio in our router/modem, making the powerline adaptor in the living room the houses source of wifi, while at the same time allowing me to finally have a wired connection for my PC.

Turns out that doesnt work, and disabling wifi on the router leaves us with no wifi at all, although my wired connection to the power line adapter works fine.

Is there something obvious that I haven't done that would make this work as is?

We are waiting for a reply from the building management about the possibility of relocating the internet access point but we have no idea if that's possible. Ripping out walls is out of the question but short of that I am willing to consider buying new routers, switches or whatever to make this work.

We have this router: https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-netw.../archer-vr600/

I bought these power line adapters : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...-wpa8630p-kit/

Any and all help much appreciated, thanks for reading!

In the future everyone will be Ozymandias for 15 minutes. Or something.

Unrelated to other Slinkies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Missing the Old days

Rep: 259 (Unique: 219)
Quote: Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post
Hi, I am an almost total networking novice and I have a situation I'm finding it hard to solve with my Google skills.

We have a small apartment where there is only one socket that receives an internet connection. Unfortunately that one place is in the back corner of the flat in my very young daughters room. My wife, bless her, would much rather there wasn't the source of a wifi signal in that room.

I tried to solve this by buying a set of power line adapters one of which is wifi enabled. My naive hope was that I could simply set up the power line adapters and turn off the wifi radio in our router/modem, making the powerline adaptor in the living room the houses source of wifi, while at the same time allowing me to finally have a wired connection for my PC.

Turns out that doesnt work, and disabling wifi on the router leaves us with no wifi at all, although my wired connection to the power line adapter works fine.

Is there something obvious that I haven't done that would make this work as is?

We are waiting for a reply from the building management about the possibility of relocating the internet access point but we have no idea if that's possible. Ripping out walls is out of the question but short of that I am willing to consider buying new routers, switches or whatever to make this work.

We have this router: https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-netw.../archer-vr600/

I bought these power line adapters : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-netw...-wpa8630p-kit/

Any and all help much appreciated, thanks for reading!

first off, you have to make sure the rooms share a bar on the breaker panel

if they are, i would do it like this

ethernet from wall->powerline->through power lines ->other powerline->into wifi router which broadcasts the signal

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Work Folder
(7 items)
CPU
AMD r7 2700x
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming PRO
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
RAM
PNY Anarchy-X 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
256GB Plextor M8Pe m.2
Power Supply
Corsair RM750X
Case
big metal box
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 x64
Monitor
DELL S2716DG
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G604
Mouse
Steelseries Mat
Audio
Logitech G602
Other
steam controller
CPU
AMD FX8350
Motherboard
BIOStar TA970
GPU
AMD FURY X
GPU
Zotac GTX 960
RAM
Gskill 2x8GB DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair 650w
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi, thanks for the reply. But unless I'm reading what you said wrong, that's exactly what I have done.

I have an ethernet from the router in the bedroom to the power line adapter. This is paired with another power line adapter in th eliving room which in turn has an ethernet cable to my PC.

What I would like is to turn off the wifi radio in the bedroom router, and use the power line adapter as the sole source of wifi for the house.

To try and do this I went into the router settings via my web browser and disabled both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz bands. This caused all our other devices to disconnect, leaving my PC with the wired connection as the only device in the house with access to the internet.

It could well be there's something blindingly obvious I should have done in the router settings, as I said I'm unfortunately pretty ignorant about networking.

EDIT.

The quick setup guide for the power line adapters had me clone the wifi passwords and settings from the router to the wifi enabled adapter, could this be the problem?

Last edited by Slink3Slyde; 06-06-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 10:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Your power line adapters only extend the existing wi-fi signal. They do not broadcast their own wi-fi network, only amplify the existing wi-fi signal.

To do what you want, you will need a seperate wi-fi router. You would connect the wi-fi router to your ethernet connection in the room with your computer. The wi-fi router should have a 4 port ethernet switch in it so you can use your current ethernet connection to you PC to go to the wi-fi router and then another ethernet connection from the wi-fi router to your computer.

You can then setup the wi-fi router to broadcast your wi-fi signal and turn off the wi-fi on your internet\wi-fi router.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi, I'm sorry for wasting your time guys, I just managed to get everything working.

It seems my particular model of power line adapter does broadcast its own dual band signal as I thought. It was just that I shouldn't have cloned the network settings from my router to the adapter before starting.

I reset the adapters to default, paired them and now have successfully turned off both bands of wifi on the bedroom router. All devices are now connected to the adapter. Passwords and Network ID changed via the Android app.

Conclusion: I'm an idiot Thanks for your time guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in