Opinion on DDR3 RAM - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Opinion on DDR3 RAM

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
OK, two things i'm lookin at are a single module of G.Skill 8GB ram, and a single module of Kingston HyperX 8GB ram. Which would be better? I know the gskill has DDR3 1866, But i have a stick of HyperX already in my machine at the same speed. And, would it be overclockable to more than 1600 on the kingston? Although, I could just start off with the G.Skill and slowly phase out my hyperX sticks as i gain the cash. I'm not actually going to buy anything soon, but christmas money is coming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104301
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104301

Obviously, the slower speed is cheaper, but only by about $8 difference.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm NOT new to Overclock

Rep: 1075 (Unique: 860)
To be honest mate don't bother with either of those

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104246

That will get you the best of both worlds by having a matching set which won't give you any compatibility issues. In addition to that you'll get the ddr functionality as well.

Comps

Hidden Text Below! (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhudson go_quote.gif
are you saying that a single core cpu cant run more than one process? because im positive i can run windows media player and google chrome at the same time on my amd sempron chip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestECull go_quote.gif
Mic jack? That'd be hotdog down hallway turf in this situation.

I suggest the manual release hole on the optical drive. Bonus points if you eject the tray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb go_quote.gif
Overclocking isn't buying the fastest just to be fast, it is buying the cheapest and making it fast!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, my goal is to upgrade to 8GB sticks, so that i can have more ram in my 4 slots. So maybe I should go with the G.Skill unless anyone can reccommend something cheaper/better?

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 494 (Unique: 276)
It's kinda hard to get denebs to run at more than 1333 mhz with all four slots filled , not sure that you will actually be able to use 32 gb of ram either.
If it was my call, I would just go with a set of 2 - 8 GB -1600 mhz sticks.
It's up to you what you want to do, but thats just my 2cents.gifsmile.gif

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1027 (Unique: 750)

A C3 Deneb can manage 4 DIMMs at DDR3-1600 but not much further.

By the way, trust me... you won't need more RAM

The majority of computer users will not max 4GB. Most are buying 8GB because its cheap. I handle regular HD video editing with 8GB RAM. Though I'm interested in pursuing more, this has to do with interest in running RAM disks.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, what i'm goaling for is to lay a foundation for me to do anything I want. Try out some ram disks, try out large memory footprint programs, etc. Even run tons of programs at once for any reason.So, the Gskill would not function at 1866 with my CPU? If so, then i'm definetly going for the hyperX. Oh, and i'm not just gaming on this machine, even though thats being done most of the time. I want to be able to run as many things as I want, and open files as big as I want, without using swap space or page file. I actually intend on turning off the page file.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 494 (Unique: 276)
My old C-2 965 didn't like to overclock the ram at all with 4 slots populated. Never tried it on my C-3's redface.gif

Edit: I noticed you are running XP , is that a 64 bit version?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1027 (Unique: 750)
Pagefile needs to be turned on even if kept minimal. It is impossible to have reliable operation with no page file. OS purposes will always require it in a way that does not slow you down.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh, i'm sorry i was running XP until this past saturday and my catastrophe with my hard drive. I'm actually running the windows 8 Release preview, so i'll update that in my sig rig soon. What was running, was Windows XP home edition SP3. It wasn't doin it for me, with the lack of many features, and no DX11, and the fact that it was 32-bit.

On the page file, I guess I could keep it on. But if the machine has 32GB of ram in it, why would it have to shift programs in & out of ram when it not even close to full? I thought the sole purpose of the page file, was extra space to put running programs when you are exceeding your ram.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in