[Solved] what RAM speed is recomended for high overclocks on AMD? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Solved] what RAM speed is recomended for high overclocks on AMD?

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
Hi all
I am about to start some subezero runs on a GB 990FXA-UD5 with some FX chips in a couple of weeks. Whilst i am still setting up my benching rig a thought came to me about RAM.

What RAM speed should i look at?
Also i am thinking of using the G.Skill TridentX series.

what is peoples thouights on this? smile.gif

[edit] i am new to AMD overclocking and learning about OC'ing AMD chips from guides.
I am just a bit confused about RAM and if it affects high overclocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 67)
Since you are a bencher, then the highest possible clocks with the lowest possible timings is your goal.
As the IMC is in the CPU chip, the hotter it gets leaves you with less headroom for CPU OC
From my own experience, 1600MHz is the sweet spotwhen it comes to RAM OC in AMD systems in terms of performance (and please do correct me people if you have seen something different)
Since you plan on benching,I suggest that you use only 2 modules of RAM for starters to see how it goes. That is to avoid the heating issues I mentioned above, and because AMD systems tend to downclock RAM to the divider previous to the actual RAM speed when 2 or more memory slots are populated,so,be prepared to apply the timings manually.
Also,raising the NB Freq helps a lot.
That for starters. I know there is more to it,and I apologise beforehand, but working shifts takes its toll on brain functionality. thumb.gif

Arrrrrrrrgh, arrrrouhhhhh, aghhhhhhh.
Chewbacca
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Can't edit.
This might give some insight

https://www.overclock.net/t/933649/northbridge-speed-and-low-ram-timing-significance-on-amd-platforms

Chewbacca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

forgive me for being such a newb with AMD overclocking. redface.gif
to start with i will only be benching CPU's, so to acheive high overclocks on the CPU does RAM have an affect on CPU only overclocking? that is do i have to fiddle with RAM settings?
+rep for your insight so far smile.gif

[edit] i am new to benching as well smile.gif

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

RAM timings will help if they are tighter->smaller on CPU OC. But NB Frequency at around 2700MHz-3000MHz will give a good bump in performance.
And no need to apologise man! Everybody starts from somewhere,mistakes included. I just hope that more people will join to help you out!

Chewbacca
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmadness View Post

RAM timings will help if they are tighter->smaller on CPU OC. But NB Frequency at around 2700MHz-3000MHz will give a good bump in performance.
And no need to apologise man! Everybody starts from somewhere,mistakes included. I just hope that more people will join to help you out!

thanks again smile.gif so since the IMC is in the CPU chip if i just went with 1600 tridentX should be fine then for high NB freq's to achieve a high CPU clock but tighten the RAM timings will help?

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yes, and like I said on my initial post, use as less RAM sticks as possible in your first attempts, and keep in mind that RAM OC alone is most complicated. I would suggest that you try with stock RAM at first, and just fiddle with NB and CPU.

Chewbacca
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Missing friends

Rep: 700 (Unique: 431)
Quote:

exactly welcome and ask away the 8350 club, and the saberkitty club in my sig has some helpful ppl
i can tell you i cant get my 2400 gskill downclocked. that is mainly i have not had alot of time to do it. been busy with other stuff but a few of us are running them and some did downclock.

i cant get 4 dims prime stable and have not checked only ibt ( prime gives alot of vishara ppl problems anyway. however mine is stable with 2 dims @2400 and 90% mem useage. )
Quote:

side note i can not get my system happy with anything over 2600ish ( really less then 2700 it is happy any suggestions?

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

yep i am sure i will ask a few more questions in various clubs in the coming days smile.gif

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Yes, and like I said on my initial post, use as less RAM sticks as possible in your first attempts, and keep in mind that RAM OC alone is most complicated. I would suggest that you try with stock RAM at first, and just fiddle with NB and CPU.

thank you, thats exactly what i was wondering smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in