GSAT (Google Stressful Application Test) on a tiny bootable Linux ISO! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GSAT (Google Stressful Application Test) on a tiny bootable Linux ISO!

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
OC-Locked

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
GSAT (Google Stressful Application Test) on a tiny bootable Linux ISO!

As a long time reader on the OCN forums, and not much of a poster/contributor, I thought of sharing this with all of you as a tiny 'Thank You'

Well, in brief, a few days ago and after discovering the GSAT tool for checking memory stability, I've been wondering if I should try running it on a lightweight Linux distro. instead of a full fledged one like Mint.

So, after a lot of researching and testing out many small distributions, I settled on 'Core Pure 64bit' flavor from http://tinycorelinux.net, which is 14MB in size!
I've compiled the latest version of GSAT v1.0.9 from it's Github repository: https://github.com/stressapptest/stressapptest
Nothing has been modified or added in the distro but the single compiled file (stressapptest) added under /usr/local/bin.

Working wonderfully as expected, and I've managed to allocate about 99.5% of memory to the test tool, which is the whole point of using a minimal Linux distro.

A TL;DR version:

What is it:
GSAT memory stability testing tool (v1.0.9) added to a tiny Linux Distro. (CorePure64 v9) in a 14MB bootable ISO file.

How to use:
- Download and burn the ISO file into a CD/DVD or a USB stick using a tool like 'Rufus' or similar ones.
- Enable 'Legacy' support in BIOS.
- Boot from the CD/DVD/USB.
- Use the tool as you wish, but commonly you would type: 'stressapptest -W -s 3600'

Download URL:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RXB...ew?usp=sharing

Please let me know how it works for you, or if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Master Gaming PC
(13 items)
CPU
Intel [email protected]
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 5
GPU
Asus Strix 1080ti OC
RAM
Corsair 2x8GB 3200c16
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 128GB
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 512GB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 850w Gold
Cooling
Zalman CNPSX10 Performa
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
Logitech G440
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ToBeOC; 01-13-2019 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Formatting + TLDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Thanks much for this. I've been trying to figure out how to get stressapptest on a small bootable version of Linux myself, but not knowing Linux very well had been making it hard for me.

I sucessfully burned your ISO to a DVD, then booted from the DVD and can run stressapptest perfectly. Works like a charm. I feel a little blind while it's running because I can't monitor the system (temperatures, etc...), but it works.

And, the good news is that it's not finding any problems with my system so far.

Question for you. If you wanted to do a good stress test of your memory overclock, what command line parameters would you use?

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:09 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 820 (Unique: 551)
stressapptest -W -s 3600

That uses one hour of GSAT and log errors

The W flag means for it to use more CPU-stressful memory copy

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 97 (Unique: 70)
Sweet, thanks for this ...

Tags
google , gsat , Memory , stability , test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in