mismatched RAM. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

mismatched RAM.

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
mismatched RAM.

Hello all. Quick question: I know it is not advised to use mismatched ram but if you do it will automatically run at the slower speed. What is preventing me from installing the slower ram, overclocking it to the speed of the higher ram and matching the timings, then installing the faster ram? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Nothing in particular; it is just hard to match two types of memory chips that have different tertiary setting preferences. You would be better off installing both sticks at the same time and start the overclock process with VERY relaxed timings. Note that you should stay very reserved in expectation for even getting it to run at stock settings, let alone overclocking.

Can you please post what sticks and motherboard you are trying to do this on?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370
Patriot 2x4 2133/cls14
Corsair 2x4 3000/cls15

I'm sure this idea is, at best, a stretch. But I thought I would ask anyway. The Patriot was just sitting around collecting dust and I was hoping to avoid going thru the hassle of selling it online and the subsequent trip to Micro Center....because I seem to have a problem controlling myself at Micro Center lol. . Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Quote: Originally Posted by Slo' View Post
Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370
Patriot 2x4 2133/cls14
Corsair 2x4 3000/cls15

I'm sure this idea is, at best, a stretch. But I thought I would ask anyway. The Patriot was just sitting around collecting dust and I was hoping to avoid going thru the hassle of selling it online and the subsequent trip to Micro Center....because I seem to have a problem controlling myself at Micro Center lol. . Thank you.
Well, the good news is that your motherboard uses T-topology for the memory trace layout (see here for more info: )
Spoiler!
and that means your motherboard will prefer having all 4 slots filled. In addition (assuming PCPartPicker suggestions are correct), your Patriot Elite 2133 C14 memory is using 1.2V while your Corsair Vengance LPX 3000 C15 is using 1.35V. There is a very good chance that your 2133 kit will clock much better if you increase its voltage to 1.35V as well.

If I can ask a favour, could you please take a look at Thaiphoon Burner and upload pictures of the SPD information of the memory sticks using the freeware version found here: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html? You will need to actually have the sticks plugged into the motherboard for this to work, but it should be able to tell you what type of memory chips are on the sticks. If both your 2133 kit and 3000 kit have the same type of memory chip, you will have a much easier time getting all four of them to work properly (disregarding concerns of memory quality, IMC strength, etc).

I am unsure of your familiarity with memory overclocking, but I highly recommend you check out the AMD Ryzen DDR4 stability testing thread here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ty-thread.html as it has some excellent resources for understanding safe voltages, how to stress test memory and tips/tricks for running your memory efficiently. Be warned that memory overclocking can be extremely time confusing and tedious and mixing memory kits makes finding stable settings even more difficult.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by shellashock; 03-22-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you so much for your detailed help. As it turns out a friend needed some RAM so I went ahead and sold it. However, your help did not go to waste as I am a tinkerer and will give all of this a go as I have other extra ram sitting around and a second rig. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Avid Something-or-Other

Good to hear that you're willing to give it a shot! RAM overclocking may not provide much performance gain in the grand scheme of things and it can take forever to find stable settings you are satisfied with, but it sure can be fun to dig into the menus and learn what it all means. In general, you will want to get the combination of highest read/write/copy bandwidth with the lowest latency possible to improve "smoothness" from more consistent frametimes. Good luck and I look forward to your results!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in