2 Memories with 2 different frequencies, PC refuses to start. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2 Memories with 2 different frequencies, PC refuses to start.

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
2 Memories with 2 different frequencies, PC refuses to start.

Hello
I've been workin with these 2 Memories on my laptop since 2 almost months. Today my PC crashed and refused to start, and when he do, the screen is freezing, like a display issues. I took off the new RAM added and now I'm writing with my computer with only the old RAM. He asked once to repair windows. I was playing in my laptop with both RAMs with no problem until recently.
I tried to put only the new one, but PC refused to start. Does that mean, that the RAM is dead ? Or can it be resolved by reinstalling Windows or putting limit of frequency in the BIOS ?
I think the issue is from the difference of frequency. Help please, thanks.

The new Ram add :

Kingston 8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL19, 1.2v
Tip: DDR4 SODIMM
Capacitate: 8 GB
Frecventa: 2666 MHz
Latenta CAS: 19 ns
Standard: PC4-21300
Tensiune alimentare: 1.2 V

My actual and old one :

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x52
Memory type DDR4
Module format SO-DIMM
Module Manufacturer(ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000000000)
SDRAM Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000000000)
Size 8192 MBytes
Max bandwidth DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz)
Part number M471A1K43CB1-CRC
Serial number 975590B7
Manufacturing date Week 52/Year 16
Nominal Voltage 1.20 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no
CL 17
-------------
Laptop Asus GL553VE.

Last edited by sahmizo; 03-31-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 300 (Unique: 219)
If using only one specific stick doesn't work then that stick is likely bad unless your UEFI settings are pushing it beyond it's capabilities and UEFI fails to fallback onto JEDEC specs.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
If using only one specific stick doesn't work then that stick is likely bad unless your UEFI settings are pushing it beyond it's capabilities and UEFI fails to fallback onto JEDEC specs.
Hey thanks for answering. The new RAM juste Worked. But when I put them both, they refuse to work together, like a team xD So the frequency is not an issue ?
My system is detecting the new RAM with the settings of the old one, even CPU-z is doing same mistake, this is getting weird

The old one : NB frequency was 3384mhz
The new one : NB frequency is 2394 mhz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by sahmizo View Post
Hey thanks for answering. The new RAM juste Worked. But when I put them both, they refuse to work together, like a team xD So the frequency is not an issue ?
My system is detecting the new RAM with the settings of the old one, even CPU-z is doing same mistake, this is getting weird

The old one : NB frequency was 3384mhz
The new one : NB frequency is 2394 mhz
Do you understand that all your RAM must run at the same speed. If you put different speeds together, you will have to manually set a lowest common denominator speed that would have a chance to work for both sets of sticks. Looking at your sticks, I'd suggest 2400MHz and CAS of 18. If that doesn't work, try CAS 19. You will also have to set the other primary timings too. I'd have to see what the specs are for those on both your sticks to know what to suggest for the other primaries.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 AM
Свет

Rep: 37 (Unique: 36)
I don't mean to be captain obvious, or to sound harsh, but what do you expect? Flawless operation?

There is a level of matching that is sometimes so specific that you need an exact same brand, same exact model, and same exact memory speed, same exact timings basically for everything to operate properly.

I bought 2 sticks of Fury HyperX, I thought they were all the same, but I was wrong, 2 sticks were 1866 mhz, one was 1600, and last one was 1333 mhz.

I had them all running in my system for about 3 years, until stutters got so ridiculous I sold my CPU, GPU, tried different motherboard, and it was all the ram issue.

Now my sticks are ruined, I literally will get random stutters even running two 1866 stock, and stock timings.

Unmatching your ram, and especially overclocking will potentially ruin your DRAM, and it doesn't matter how powerful or overclockable your ram was.

Match rams always, no different brands either, or you are bound for technical bs that will come with it.

Some people don't get the issue, but others do.

Worst part it will creep up, and then you have trash memory.

I have 4 sticks that still work, but 1 doesn't allocate memory in memtest86, just keeps cycling, but PC works on it just fine. The other stick takes 2 runs to allocate the ram in memtest86, other sticks are potentially at fault too.

So literally I have no DDR3 because of my "unmatching" 4 sticks of ram in my old system, and I will not sell it because I know it might cause identical issue for people.

And...that's just the tip of the iceberg, what about restarts, game crashes I had for years, and it was not CPU, it was not GPU, it was all ram.

Life teaches lessons, and now I rather follow electrical/schematic protocol, rather than wing it and hope for the best.

Assess the risks and make a decision.

If you overclock your ram, know that you are potentially trashing it, just know it. Don't be mad at manufacturers, because you are the one overclocking it.

I ruined 4 sticks. Ruined my gaming experience for years, because I never figured out my stutter issues, until I put the stick into another older x58 system in triple channel, and should I dare say "it trippled RAM issues"

Artifacts in all kinds of new ways I never saw.

Don't play with ram too much, even adjusting timings ruins ram, without making voltage higher.

You introduce new variables into the chain.

UNLESS...you have plenty of money to buy new stuff, then I guess you can do whatever you want.

I overclocked my CPUs for years, and I saw so much cpu migration on the chips, where it could not handle older clocks anymore, but was stable for a good year.

I saw even brand new i7 9700k go unstable within a day, after being stable, due to a motherboard voltage jumping up and down for no reason. Literally saw within several hours that CPU can no longer run above stock clock, unless you boost voltage to new levels.

I recently had a motherboard start fire.

I literally saw all components go bad, and in the end I wonder where is that fine line in overclocking, only Gods know where that is.

We are tinkering with stuff that is not really in our control, even though we are the ones that change settings and overclock.

I even had my GPU get ruined by overclocking +15 mv, old AMD 5790

They said it was safe, but it's far from truth.

Even electrical knowledge means nothing, as components have a mind of their own, and not made equal. Some RAM sticks are un-killable, others die from a gust of wind like my AMD 5790

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in