ram and mobo compatibility issue??? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ram and mobo compatibility issue???

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
ram and mobo compatibility issue???

New build with Ryzen 3700X, Asus Strix X470-F Gaming, GSkill Trident Z Royal F4-3600C16D-16GTRS, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Nvidia 1080Ti FE

This is a new build that I've been working on for the past couple of days. I first installed my old 1700 in the board and flashed to the latest 5204 bios. Then ran memtest from a bootable flash drive for about 4 hours (4 full passes) and found no errors. After that I installed Win10 Home, installed the latest chipset drivers, and other drivers from the asus site. Got the OS up to date with 1903 and then started trying to OC the ram as it was still running at 2133mhz. I quickly found out that any speed above 2133 was completely unstable, even DOCP settings would not work. After saving any changes in the BIOS the system would not restart, the case fans and leds would be running but the cpu fan would be off and I would have to clear the cmos to get it to boot again. I then flashed to bios 5007 and started adjusting ram speeds once again. I tried the DOCP setting first and again it would not boot and I had to clear the cmos. I then manually adjusted the timings to 16-16-16-36 and slowly started increasing the speed one increment at a time. I found that if I tried to increase the ram speed by more than one increment (say from 2133 to 3200) it would lock up and require a cmos clear. Every speed adjustment I would save settings and then boot into the OS, run a 10 minute test with OCCT to check for problems and then back to the BIOS to make another speed adjustment. I did that all the way up to 3733mhz where its running now but I still have issues with restarts. Sometimes it will go with no problems and other times the case fans and leds will be on but the cpu fan is off. I have noticed that when it won't restart there is a yellow led lit up in the top right corner of the board that indicates a ram problem. I have found that cycling the psu power resets it and then the system starts up normally with the OC settings. The ram kit is listed on the latest QVL for 3rd Gen Ryzen cpu's but I'm scratching my head and wondering if this is a compatibility issue with the ram and mobo? Or is there something else that I'm missing? Maybe a setting in the bios perhaps? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X470-QVL.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	290160  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
There is no compatibility issue, are you using slots 2 and 4 away from CPU?

Have you tried each module to see what each can do or if one performs differently than the other?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GSKILL SUPPORT View Post
There is no compatibility issue, are you using slots 2 and 4 away from CPU?
Yes

Quote:
Have you tried each module to see what each can do or if one performs differently than the other?
No I haven't, what would be the best way to test?

I have done a few short tests with OCCT and things to be stable, I don't want to run long tests as the cpu temps get hot quickly with this stock cooler. The main problem is still with restarts from the OS and also after making adjustments in the BIOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
So if it starts it is stable but on restart it sometimes fails to post? if so it sounds like the MB is having trouble with training the RAM sub timings and is a little hit and miss.

There is great info here on stability testing RAM.
I find HCI best for memory controller stability and Linux Gsat the quickest for finding RAM related errors.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ty-thread.html

To reduce the amount of work the MB is doing with training the RAM see if you can set as many as possible manually using settings suggested by DRAM Calculator for Ryzen
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/

Guide on using it here

Some Asus MB were having trouble with BIOS setting a low boot vdimm.

Last edited by Dasa; 08-20-2019 at 01:06 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
So if it starts it is stable but on restart it sometimes fails to post? if so it sounds like the MB is having trouble with training the RAM sub timings and is a little hit and miss.

There is great info here on stability testing RAM.
I find HCI best for memory controller stability and Linux Gsat the quickest for finding RAM related errors.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ty-thread.html

To reduce the amount of work the MB is doing with training the RAM see if you can set as many as possible manually using settings suggested by DRAM Calculator for Ryzen
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/

Guide on using it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM

Some Asus MB were having trouble with BIOS setting a low boot vdimm.
Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at those guides.

Yes the computer is stable when the OS boots up, it has passed every OCCT test I have done without errors. If I shut down from the OS or if I make any changes in the BIOS it always fails to post and I have to switch off the PSU for a minute or so. Restarts from the OS seem to be a coin toss if it will start up again or not. Does the memory need to train on every startup? I ran Thaiphoon burner and the ryzen calc (screenshots attached) and I will try making the adjustments and see if it helps. The recommended dram voltage seems really high to me...should I be setting it at 1.44v and is that safe? I don't want to wreck the memory as it was not cheap and I'm not sure if warranty would apply if I overvolted it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dramcalcfast1.png
Views:	7
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	290350  

Name:	dramcalcfast2.png
Views:	2
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	290352  

Name:	tphbrnscr.png
Views:	6
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	290354  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Anyone know where I can find the setting in the bios for the boot vdimm that Dasa mentioned. Unless Asus has it labelled as something else I can't find it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I have made most of the changes that ryzen calculator suggested for the fast preset. I set the ram back to 3600mhz and the FCLK down to 1800. I left some timings alone at 16-16-16-36 (14-14-14-28 was recommended) and have tried the ram voltage at 1.43, 1.44 and 1.45 and it will only post in safe mode. I've also tried increasing the SOC voltage to 1.10 with no success. I guess I'll try the safe settings next.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 190820082607.BMP (3.00 MB, 1 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082600.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082553.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082544.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082530.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082731.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082636.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082618.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp 190820082614.BMP (3.00 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by scar69; 08-20-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
A lot of people think 1.5V is safe for 24\7 use with that RAM although I would suggest a fan blowing directly over the RAM for anything around 1.45v+ with extended load's as they become less stable as they warm up.

Hopefully the safe preset works for you.
If you still need to start at a low frequency and creep it up I suspect you will need to wait for a newer BIOS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in