Samsung B-Die, help me resurrect an 8GB stick - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Samsung B-Die, help me resurrect an 8GB stick

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 13)
Samsung B-Die, help me resurrect an 8GB stick

Long story short,

I managed to 'break' one of my 8GB Samsung B-die memory sticks.

I say break, because the stick seems to be partially alive, but I cannot post the PC with the stick in any of the RAM slot.

There are several things that could have caused the stick to go 'wobbly' on me I will list them below.

1/ Last night I removed the heat spreader from the back of the PCB, the heat spreader that was removed was not stuck to the RAM modules but to other side of the PCB that has no RAM modules.
2/ After removing the heat spreader I attached four small heat sinks with MX-4 paste and a tiny drop of super glue on each corner of the heat sinks.
3/ I placed the RAM into the PC and proceeded to post, everything was OK. I stress tested for a few hours, temps were 2C cooler.
4/ This morning I decided to remove the heat sinks to replace with ones that had more surface area. So I applied a little force to remove the heat sinks, this force was not alot.
5/ After looking at the PCB, I could see that the super glue needed removing so I used some 500 grit sand paper with water and slowly sanded it down, this procedure removed a little of the black paint on one side so you could see the copper sheet of the PCB exposed. I thoroughly dried the stick of RAM with a high power blower, ambient temps are around 30C.
6/ After cleaning I used some non electrically conductive sticky pads (I am 70% sure they are none conductive, I have had these for a number of years and dont remember 100%) to attach the taller heat sinks.
7/ Now the RAM stick is partially dead.

Why partially,

well, if I boot the PC with the working stick of RAM (its a pair of 2 x 8GB) and then plug in the 'dead' stick, the motherboard detects the stick has been plugged in (the LED that indicates the module is detected lights up).

Typhoon burner can read the SPD of both sticks and neither seems to be corrupted.

HWInfo detects the RAM module thermostat and when I run a memory test i.e. TM5 I can see both memory modules warming up.

I am going to post some images soon to this thread, hopefully someone has some ideas on what I can try to resurrect this stick of RAM!

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium | Ryzen 5 3600X 1924SUT
GSkill TridentZ F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @ 3800/1900 mhz | 1.44v | 15-17-10-15-42-28-266-16-1T
Asus GTX 780 DCII OC @ 1332/3522 mhz | 1.3v | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
EK-FB MSI X370 XPower RGB Monoblock 1/2" ID | Swiftech D5 MCP655 | EK-XRES 100
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 | 4 x Scythe GT AP-15 @ 5v
Thermochill PA120.3 | 1 x SST-FN123 | 2 x Scythe GT AP-15 | @ 5v

Last edited by mongoled; 09-10-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 13)
OK, so at least I know that I fried the dimm!

Amazing thing the subconscious realm!

I ordered the thermal heat transfer as a request sample over 10 years ago and I could not for the life of me remember the name.

However this morning, just before 'waking up' the name popped into my mind whilst in a period of 'light sleep', was just coming out of a dream.

The name, 'Chromerics'

And once I went to the products page, of the 7 products available 4 of them are based on Aluminium, so yeah, I was the one who fried the dimm.

Anyhow, a new set is on the way .........

Direct links for anyone interested in the materials

https://ph.parker.com/us/17051/en/th...ment-tapes-chd

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium | Ryzen 5 3600X 1924SUT
GSkill TridentZ F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @ 3800/1900 mhz | 1.44v | 15-17-10-15-42-28-266-16-1T
Asus GTX 780 DCII OC @ 1332/3522 mhz | 1.3v | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
EK-FB MSI X370 XPower RGB Monoblock 1/2" ID | Swiftech D5 MCP655 | EK-XRES 100
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 280 | 4 x Scythe GT AP-15 @ 5v
Thermochill PA120.3 | 1 x SST-FN123 | 2 x Scythe GT AP-15 | @ 5v

Last edited by mongoled; 09-12-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in