Recommendation on 32gb of Ram for Server - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommendation on 32gb of Ram for Server

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
JMattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,303
Rep: 76 (Unique: 69)
Recommendation on 32gb of Ram for Server

Looking at 2x16gb chips probably from newegg.. Seems like RAM is $75+ per 16gb stick atm. Not sure if I wait if it will get better or worse going into black friday.

Here is an ok 3000mhz option.

Trident Z 3000mhz CL16 - $150
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232750

Theres a few other brands I can get 3200mhz for the same as the above Tridents..

Corsair Vengeance CL16 - $148
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-...82E16820236541

Ballistix Sport LT CL16 (ESB) - $157
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32g...82E16820164128

and finally we ahve the 3200mhz version of the Trident Z CL16 - $170
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232748

I don't know anything about the OLOy brand so I left them off.
The 3000mhz versions of the Corsair and Ballistix are $150 oddly so better to get 3200mhz of those?

If it's easy enough I am not against overclocking so I would like to take that into consideration./

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!


JMattes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast
 
ozlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,618
Rep: 275 (Unique: 219)
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232091

In Loving Memory Of Kassandra

Kaby
Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲


ozlay is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
JMattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,303
Rep: 76 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
How does these compare.. overclocking wise.. (other than them being probably taller than other sticks based on heatsink).
Always hear people talking about Tridents.. not the Ripjaws.

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!


JMattes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 946
Rep: 27 (Unique: 13)
You didn't state whether the server is powered by a 'dual channel' CPU (ie 8700K) or 'quad channel' HEDT (ie 2950X) as that obviously makes a difference with 16GB sticks for 32GB total. But I have used GSKill 32GB and 64 GB / 8GB TridentZ & Ripjaw sticks on servers for years without any complaints (both DDR4 up to 3866 nominal and DDR3 2666 nominal). Now, if your server is mission-critical (by the sounds of it, it is not, given your thoughts about oc'ing), you should probably look at EEC Ram.
J7SC is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
JMattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,303
Rep: 76 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
You didn't state whether the server is powered by a 'dual channel' CPU (ie 8700K) or 'quad channel' HEDT (ie 2950X) as that obviously makes a difference with 16GB sticks for 32GB total. But I have used GSKill 32GB and 64 GB / 8GB TridentZ & Ripjaw sticks on servers for years without any complaints (both DDR4 up to 3866 nominal and DDR3 2666 nominal). Now, if your server is mission-critical (by the sounds of it, it is not, given your thoughts about oc'ing), you should probably look at EEC Ram.
Thanks for your detailed feed back.. It's a normal gaming PC mobo so its dual. That is why I was thinking 2x16 over 4x8 chips.

I was reading posts on Ripjaws vs Trident and some people believe its the same chips with different heatsinks.. Some people say Trident is performance line and binned a little better for better OC. Doubt anyone knows for sure, but the $130 chips posted earlier isn't a bad deal.

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!


JMattes is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 946
Rep: 27 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by JMattes View Post
Thanks for your detailed feed back.. It's a normal gaming PC mobo so its dual. That is why I was thinking 2x16 over 4x8 chips.

I was reading posts on Ripjaws vs Trident and some people believe its the same chips with different heatsinks.. Some people say Trident is performance line and binned a little better for better OC. Doubt anyone knows for sure, but the $130 chips posted earlier isn't a bad deal.

Ripjaws and TridentZ tend to be very close in performance, if not overlap to a large degree. TridentZ top of the line are likely binned higher (also per my experience) but unless you're going for outright max-oc, it doesn't really matter. It is probably more important to try to find 'Samsung-B die' (used in several brands) via for example this tool https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
J7SC is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
JMattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,303
Rep: 76 (Unique: 69)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
Ripjaws and TridentZ tend to be very close in performance, if not overlap to a large degree. TridentZ top of the line are likely binned higher (also per my experience) but unless you're going for outright max-oc, it doesn't really matter. It is probably more important to try to find 'Samsung-B die' (used in several brands) via for example this tool https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
According that list the C16 RipJaws arent on the list.
F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Can't seem to find any B-Die ones.. and all those links are broken or removed.

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!


JMattes is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Invalid Media
 
J7SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 946
Rep: 27 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by JMattes View Post
According that list the C16 RipJaws arent on the list.
F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Can't seem to find any B-Die ones.. and all those links are broken or removed.

Samsung B-die production was stopped in the spring, but you may be able to find some stock / inventory. Not sure about 16gb, but w/8 GB, if you see 3200 MHz at nominal CL14 14 14 on the box, that is usually B-die
J7SC is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
DzillaXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,231
Rep: 553 (Unique: 389)
What is this server being used for?

Intel or AMD?

No need for ECC RAM?

My Home Server has 32GB of ECC DDR4, With a Ryzen 2700x. I run ESXI and then Freenas in a VM with my RAID card in HBA mode passed through. Have 48TB of Raw HDD space (though of course real usable space isn't near that). Having ECC Memory is a must for such a setup, and so is a file system like ZFS. Allows me to run everything I want in a single box.

If you are going to be running something like unraid, it doesn't use a file system that protects from data rot. You need something like ZFS, as well as Memory that protects for errors. ECC is a must in a Storage system.

But if this is a game server, don't worry.
DzillaXx is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
JMattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,303
Rep: 76 (Unique: 69)
It's just a home pc that I leave on 24/7 that I call a server.
Runs windows 10, I remote in via teamviewer as its headless and I have (2) wd reds attached that store photos.

I have plex but not running it at the moment so the data on the hard drives isn't used.

Right now I am working on making a gaming community where the PC would host a dedicated server.
Server runs without the need of a GPU so the igpu from intel is great.

So I dont think I need any crazy ram solutions.. but the game is ram intense where it is hitting 10gb (per task manager) and the server is still new without many crazy builds by the players yet.

I heard 32gb can run a few servers from the people the host.. just trying to get the right 32gb to avoid in game lag.

Laundromatic - Feb 2012 TC Champs!
Laundromatic - July 2012 TC Champs!


JMattes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off