PrimoCache, anyone recommend it or use it? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PrimoCache, anyone recommend it or use it?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
PrimoCache, anyone recommend it or use it?

I'm currently using a trial version of PrimoCache. I have 32GB's of ram and no real use for it, so why not. But, I'm not super familiar with ram cache. Is this just a benchmark only thing or can you actually get a benefit from it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 16)
Just load times is speedy
RAMCache lll software turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times. Fully compatible with the latest NVM Express® storage options, its uniquely intelligent technology effectively caches an entire storage device so that favorite games and apps launch at breakneck speeds.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
Program loading speed will largely come down to the program and how much of a bottleneck the CPU is when decompressing the files.
If you have a fast NVMe drive and load times are slow it is likely that the CPU is the limit and the software is possible single threaded when it comes to decompressing files when loading.
If the CPU is not the bottlneck then the load times are likely already under 5 seconds with a fast SSD and there is only so much room for improvement.

I have found that RAM speed seems to have a bigger impact on load times than SATA vs NVMe SSD in some games where the CPU is the bottlneck.

[email protected] 1.37v - Z170 Gene - 4x8g 3600c14 1.48v - Radeon - [email protected]/1200
Swiftech Apogee Drive II\Storm G5 on GPU - 200mm Phobya 2x180Fans - Silverstone TJ08-EW - Thermochill PA.120.4 External
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by mirzet1976 View Post
Just load times is speedy
RAMCache lll software turns milliseconds into microseconds to boost game-load times. Fully compatible with the latest NVM Express® storage options, its uniquely intelligent technology effectively caches an entire storage device so that favorite games and apps launch at breakneck speeds.
I tried RAMCache but I could only use ram on one drive only. I have ram spread across 5 drives with PrimoCache. So far it's not bad. It's getting faster with use.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
Program loading speed will largely come down to the program and how much of a bottleneck the CPU is when decompressing the files.
If you have a fast NVMe drive and load times are slow it is likely that the CPU is the limit and the software is possible single threaded when it comes to decompressing files when loading.
If the CPU is not the bottlneck then the load times are likely already under 5 seconds with a fast SSD and there is only so much room for improvement.

I have found that RAM speed seems to have a bigger impact on load times than SATA vs NVMe SSD in some games where the CPU is the bottlneck.
CPU i'm using is a FX-9370 @ 5.2ghz. Ram is at 1866 only because this setup is super picky with anything over the 2000mhz mark with 32GB of ram.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in