RAM 101 (Intel systems in particular) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

RAM 101 (Intel systems in particular)

post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAffinity
All right guys, I ran some tests, found my initial thought that there was no difference in performance between 4:5 and 1:1 were incorrect, and have charted the results (and amended the guide). As you can see, the difference between 1:1 and 4:5 in anything but bandwidth benchies is negligible. And, of course, higher FSB 1:1 offers the best performance, compared to a lower CPU clock in 4:5. So here it is:

Why does that show up 133mhz and 166mhz FSB. That means its a 533mhz (OC to 664) board, right?

Shoot some rep points my way if I help you out. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 472 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
Why does that show up 133mhz and 166mhz FSB. That means its a 533mhz (OC to 664) board, right?
What are you referring to? The system bus speeds tested were 133 mhz FSB and 166 mhz FSB. 133 is the stock system bus speed that a 533 mhz FSB CPU uses. This also produces DDR speeds of 266 mhz. Running 166 mhz FSB put the 2.53 used for testing at 3.154 GHz, and creates DDR speeds of 333 mhz.

Was that your question?

Intel Overclocking Guide

All statements, posts, recommendations, etc. are my 2cents.gif. Sometimes they're worth a nickel, sometimes they're worth a penny, but I always do my best to at least ensure that my opinions are educated ones. smile.gif
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I dont get the 1:1 idea, other than I think I understand that it is your FSB compared to the mhz rate of your ram. How do you up the mhz that your ram is running on? Where is that setting?

I have AMD64 proc and an MSI Neo2 K8n Plat w/ OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3.

I have been adjusting the FSB, but dont see where you would up the speed of your memory.

Sorry for basic question.

Thanks

Quote:
ummm....it is sticky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

RAM speed is clocked either synchronously or asynchronously with the CPU when adjusting front side bus. Some mobos list it as FSB, some list it as CPU frequency or CPU clock, but it's all the same: front side bus, which is system bus, which both CPU and RAM run on.

Intel Overclocking Guide

All statements, posts, recommendations, etc. are my 2cents.gif. Sometimes they're worth a nickel, sometimes they're worth a penny, but I always do my best to at least ensure that my opinions are educated ones. smile.gif
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
So I would want to look for the synchronous or asynchronous option in my bios (and set ty synchronous) to keep my OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 and my MSI K8N Neo2 Plat at the same FSB speed? I think that they are at the same speed, but I will have to verify.

And then I am guessing that is where a divider comes in. If your mobo and proc can handle higher FSB but your ram is capped, you can try to adjust the divider to 5:6 or something to keep Ram at lower/its max speed and to boost the proc speed. I have heard performance is generally better at 1:1 ratio so unless the results are much better it probably is not worth it.

Just let me know if I am on the right track?

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
RAM speed is clocked either synchronously or asynchronously with the CPU when adjusting front side bus. Some mobos list it as FSB, some list it as CPU frequency or CPU clock, but it's all the same: front side bus, which is system bus, which both CPU and RAM run on.

post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Yes, you are on the right track. If you do not have a listing specifically for a divider, then DRAM frequency or RAM speed (or however you BIOS lists it) will determine the divider, based on the CPU's FSB and the speed you set RAM to. I.E., if you have a 266 mhz FSB CPU, then a corresponding RAM speed of DDR266 will give you 1:1 operation. If you have a 400 mhz FSB CPU, then the RAM set to DDR400 speeds will give you 1:1 operation.

Intel Overclocking Guide

post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
What are you referring to? The system bus speeds tested were 133 mhz FSB and 166 mhz FSB. 133 is the stock system bus speed that a 533 mhz FSB CPU uses. This also produces DDR speeds of 266 mhz. Running 166 mhz FSB put the 2.53 used for testing at 3.154 GHz, and creates DDR speeds of 333 mhz.

Was that your question?
I was just confused becasue I thought you were doing all that to your computer and it looks to be far more powerful then 533mhz FSB. I guess I should have just asked if that was your computer or not. sorry

Shoot some rep points my way if I help you out. thumb.gif
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 05:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
NoAffinity can u tell me how long the test for prime 95 cause i been test from yesterday morning untill now it's only 1.72%???

post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial
I was just confused becasue I thought you were doing all that to your computer and it looks to be far more powerful then 533mhz FSB. I guess I should have just asked if that was your computer or not. sorry
Oh...I was using a 2.53 GHz Northwood (533 mhz FSB CPU) for those tests, because 800 mhz FSB CPU's don't have a divider available to run the RAM faster than the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattit4
NoAffinity can u tell me how long the test for prime 95 cause i been test from yesterday morning untill now it's only 1.72%???
The general consensus is if you can run Prime continuously for 24 hours, then you're stable as a rock. I'm not completely sure about "1.72%", but I would assume that means the total Prime run has gone through completely once, and 72% of a second run.

Intel Overclocking Guide

post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 03:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
The general consensus is if you can run Prime continuously for 24 hours, then you're stable as a rock. I'm not completely sure about "1.72%", but I would assume that means the total Prime run has gone through completely once, and 72% of a second run.
what do you mean is if my cloking is no stabel after i run the prime it's gone fix the cpu to make it stabel its that right? anyway what is prime for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in