Ganged vs. Unganged Mode

post #161 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 208 (Unique: 187)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkvette View Post

It will work with only 2. I was running 2 stix of Crucial Ballistix with a 9850BE before one of the stix went up on me. But, yes - It will work with only 2 sticks. 4 work better though, especially if it's 4x2GB - 8GB???

I've heard from a few people that having 8G of ram will result in slower performance, although there is more ram? Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post

I've heard from a few people that having 8G of ram will result in slower performance, although there is more ram? Is this true?

I'm not sure if this has been proven or if it is just a theory.

The reason people will give you is because it will take longer for the pc to search 8gb of RAM compared to 4GB.

Whether it holds any truth or not is another matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHawker View Post

Quote:

One thing I have heard is that 4 sticks of memory tax the bus and power of the controller, effectively slowing down the memory. Increasing the memory voltage in BIOS can possibly prevent this slowdown, allowing the 4 sticks of memory to run at the fastest settings they are capable of. Matched memory should help this issue, that is why you are seeing 4 matched memory sticks in kits now, so they all run the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkvette View Post

Quote:

It can. I've heard that as well, especially with Vista. Microsoft actually has a patch out for users running more than 4GB of RAM in Vista. Eventually I'd like to test the theory, but $$ are short right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSide View Post

Quote:

Having 8GB of RAM wouldnt result in slower performance, but having 4 sticks instead of 2 would, if your using 1066 Mhz sticks at least. The CPU can only handle 1 stick of 1066 Mhz per channel, giving a maksimum of 2 sticks. If you add more than that, the memory will be slowed down to 800 Mhz to maintain stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeki View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrightSide View Post

Having 8GB of RAM wouldnt result in slower performance, but having 4 sticks instead of 2 would, if your using 1066 Mhz sticks at least. The CPU can only handle 1 stick of 1066 Mhz per channel, giving a maksimum of 2 sticks. If you add more than that, the memory will be slowed down to 800 Mhz to maintain stability.

Really? I didn't know that, could've been really frustrating if you bought 8 GB of 1066 MHz RAM, and it didn't work fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepsiLove View Post

I don't think either would be better, its just an option for letting you overclock your cpu without overclocking your ram. If your ram can oc then leave it ganged, if it can't then stick it on unganged

umm, no. it'll OC your ram whether you have it Ganged or UnGanged.

Ganged is just forced Dual Channel (128bit) and UnGanged is forced Single Channel (64bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdpkook132 View Post

On a second not whether it is ganged or unganged they are both still duel channel. Just because you have your memory unganged does not put it in single channel. To do this you must put them in physically separate channel slots on the mobo, in most cases side by side.

A lot of information here; let's clear some of it up.

With all AMD sockets from AM2 and above, the memory controller is built into the CPU. Also, the memory controller will likely be the slowest part of your computer. (other than hard drives of course)
There are actually two memory controllers which, in Unganged mode, will run in interleave. In Ganged mode, they are linked together, and will operate in tandem. Normally, Unganged mode provides greater performance, hence it's the default setting. However, in my overclocking escapades, I have found that Ganged mode will let me run a higher NB (IMC) frequencies and maintain stability. This has nothing to do with whether the RAM is running in dual channel or single channel mode. It solely refers to how the memory controllers behave with respect to each other.

As for performance lose with more DIMMs. Yes, this is true, by default the Phenom II chips will automagically underclock the RAM to maintain stability. You can obviously increase the speed yourself. If you force a multiplier instead of leaving as "Auto" in your BIOS, you'll really be running that RAM clock. This underclock is just so the memory controller does not get overloaded. Just for stability, but I've never had an issue running 1066Mhz+ DDR2 on 4 DIMMs

My PC: System76 Oryx Pro, 15.6" 144Hz edition
CPU: Intel i7 8750H
Storage: 250GB M.2 SSD + 240GB PNY 2.5" SSD + 750GB 2.5" WD Caviar Black
Motherboard: System76 oryp4
RAM: 2x8GB 2400MHz
GPU: GTX 1070+Intel HD 630
OS: Linux (Ubuntu 18.10) + Windows 10 Home Premium (DayZ + Sandstorm)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i am using amd phenom quad core black edition. and i use 16 gig ddr3.smile.gif
unganged mode and ganged..
on my system i use ganged and i actualy have not noticed any diffrence between the two.. smile.gif
ganged will work on two sticks of ram if they are paired. if they are not it wont work.

my windows rating is 7.2 due to me having a ssd drive. was 5.4 when using hdd..speed up your pc by 200% by installing ssd as operating system drive.smile.gif

handles anygame at full specs. ie: tome raider 2013, far cry 3, ect i allso dont use virtual memory its not needed with 16gig ram.smile.gif
post #163 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear of Oneself View Post

There are actually two memory controllers which, in Unganged mode, will run in interleave. In Ganged mode, they are linked together, and will operate in tandem. Normally, Unganged mode provides greater performance, hence it's the default setting. However, in my overclocking escapades, I have found that Ganged mode will let me run a higher NB (IMC) frequencies and maintain stability. This has nothing to do with whether the RAM is running in dual channel or single channel mode. It solely refers to how the memory controllers behave with respect to each other.

Would the default Unganged mode be better for multi-threaded application performance such as ffmpeg or Handbrake encoding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
I tested Guaged and Unguaged mode with MaxMemm last week, when I was heavily tweaking all aspects of my memory.
It may or may not help but these were my results.
Note: Everything was exactly identical in both tests, except the Guage/Unguaged modes

post #165 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviets View Post

I tested Guaged and Unguaged mode with MaxMemm last week, when I was heavily tweaking all aspects of my memory.
It may or may not help but these were my results.
Note: Everything was exactly identical in both tests, except the Guage/Unguaged modes

Thanks for posting that smile.gif I think I will stick with the default "unganged" mode right now until there is a tangible reason to change.
post #166 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi there,

Long story short:
AMD Phenom II X4 965
ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe
RAM Slot 1 : ADATA Vitesta Extreme DDR2 800+ 2GB
RAM Slot 2 : ADATA Vitesta Extreme DDR2 800+ 2GB
RAM Slot 3 : ADATA Vitesta Extreme DDR2 800+ 2GB
RAM Slot 4 : ADATA Vitesta Extreme DDR2 800+ 1GB
Timings: 4-4-4-12-22-2T, 2.05V

Don't mock me, I've already spent many resources trying to find the 2GB sticks, so I have to manage with only 3 of them; the 1GB is from my old set, but identical in specs (all Micron D9).

1) Does ganged mode strictly mean Dual Channel ?
Or can the memory work in Dual Channel but not necessarily be ganged ?

If I'm right and these are separate things, can this configuration prove stable over time?
I mean, with only the 3x2GB my PC recognized the memory as Unganged and working at 64bits.
With this config on the other hand, it recognizes Unganged mode but working at 128bits.

2) Can different size of the same technology memory work perfect in Dual Channel? Or do they need to be not only timing and voltage correspondant, but STRICTLY capacity correspondant too ?

Sorry for the long queue of questions but I'm confused.
I've ran multiple stability tests with this 7GB config and all works fine. But does the system suffer from assymetrical memory distribution? Am I loosing some memory MTBF because of this?

Thank you for your patience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in