Ganged vs. Unganged Mode - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ganged vs. Unganged Mode

post #11 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 818 (Unique: 565)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post
I've heard from a few people that having 8G of ram will result in slower performance, although there is more ram? Is this true?
I'm not sure if this has been proven or if it is just a theory.

The reason people will give you is because it will take longer for the pc to search 8gb of RAM compared to 4GB.

Whether it holds any truth or not is another matter

I R Edwud!

MMA > All other sports

cheers.gif British Overclockers Club
cheers.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
I'm not sure if this has been proven or if it is just a theory.

The reason people will give you is because it will take longer for the pc to search 8gb of RAM compared to 4GB.

Whether it holds any truth or not is another matter
It's worth a shot to find out though.

"The only thing standing between you and your dreams is that which you let stop you. Otherwise, you can achieve anything as long as you keep reaching for the stars." - Unknown
post #13 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 27)
Quote:
I've heard from a few people that having 8G of ram will result in slower performance, although there is more ram? Is this true?

One thing I have heard is that 4 sticks of memory tax the bus and power of the controller, effectively slowing down the memory. Increasing the memory voltage in BIOS can possibly prevent this slowdown, allowing the 4 sticks of memory to run at the fastest settings they are capable of. Matched memory should help this issue, that is why you are seeing 4 matched memory sticks in kits now, so they all run the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
It can. I've heard that as well, especially with Vista. Microsoft actually has a patch out for users running more than 4GB of RAM in Vista. Eventually I'd like to test the theory, but $$ are short right now.

"The only thing standing between you and your dreams is that which you let stop you. Otherwise, you can achieve anything as long as you keep reaching for the stars." - Unknown
post #15 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Having 8GB of RAM wouldnt result in slower performance, but having 4 sticks instead of 2 would, if your using 1066 Mhz sticks at least. The CPU can only handle 1 stick of 1066 Mhz per channel, giving a maksimum of 2 sticks. If you add more than that, the memory will be slowed down to 800 Mhz to maintain stability.
post #16 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSide View Post
Having 8GB of RAM wouldnt result in slower performance, but having 4 sticks instead of 2 would, if your using 1066 Mhz sticks at least. The CPU can only handle 1 stick of 1066 Mhz per channel, giving a maksimum of 2 sticks. If you add more than that, the memory will be slowed down to 800 Mhz to maintain stability.
Really? I didn't know that, could've been really frustrating if you bought 8 GB of 1066 MHz RAM, and it didn't work fully.

PSN/SEN: xeeki
Steam: xeeki_6

Origin: xeekei
post #17 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeki View Post
Really? I didn't know that, could've been really frustrating if you bought 8 GB of 1066 MHz RAM, and it didn't work fully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSide View Post
BrightSide is right. I bought 2 different kits to test that out (all G.Skill), and here's what I found.

-- 8GB(4x2GB) of DDR2-1066
-- 8GB(4x2GB) of DDR2-800

With the 1066 RAM and 4GB in 1 channel, worked fine at 1066. With all 8GB in dual channel mode, like he said, it went down to 800MHz. Now, the interesting thing is that the Phenom chips have their own internal memory controller. I tried running the 8GB of the 1066 in single channel mode, and it ran fine for about 10 minutes at 1066MHz - before it BSOD'd on me, maybe a bad set of chips, I don't know - but something you might want to try.

With the 800 RAM, I was able to OC both 4GB in channel 1 and all 8GB in single and dual channel modes up to 1066 without any hassles. It's still running stable as can be.

Kind of interesting. I ended up returning the 1066 kit, esp since I wasn't gonna use it anymore anyway.

post #18 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:37 PM

So what is the Answer? Which is Better? Ganged or UnGanged? Which is faster? Which would be the best for Overclocking?
post #19 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma8750 View Post
So what is the Answer? Which is Better? Ganged or UnGanged? Which is faster? Which would be the best for Overclocking?
I don't think either would be better, its just an option for letting you overclock your cpu without overclocking your ram. If your ram can oc then leave it ganged, if it can't then stick it on unganged
post #20 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiLove View Post
I don't think either would be better, its just an option for letting you overclock your cpu without overclocking your ram. If your ram can oc then leave it ganged, if it can't then stick it on unganged
umm, no. it'll OC your ram whether you have it Ganged or UnGanged.

Ganged is just forced Dual Channel (128bit) and UnGanged is forced Single Channel (64bit).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in