Ganged vs. Unganged Mode - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ganged vs. Unganged Mode

post #21 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
umm, no. it'll OC your ram whether you have it Ganged or UnGanged.

Ganged is just forced Dual Channel (128bit) and UnGanged is forced Single Channel (64bit).
I'll do some tests on it over the next few days to see whether there are any performance differences between the two and let you all know.

"The only thing standing between you and your dreams is that which you let stop you. Otherwise, you can achieve anything as long as you keep reaching for the stars." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Pao
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 233)
Hey really old thread how are you? Wanna bump? Ok!

Darkvette, did you get a chance to test things out in the last 2 months?

Diablo 3: TheHoff#1636
---
post #23 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I was just wondering about this myself, if what you all say is true, that Ganged is dual channel and Unganged is single channel, it would probably be faster to have two sticks, run them in 2 controllers, on single channel. I would like to know if you came up with any results though, Darkvette.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 833 (Unique: 580)
ungange is for example. if you have 4x1g sticks in your computer. each stick is alocated to a core on the cpu. stick 1 to core1, stick 2 to core 2,...
now they are both dual channel aslong as they are matching stick in the correct dimm spots.
gange is none of the ram is allocated to a core. each core/ram is uses them all and none is allocated. also it runs in dual chanel aswell.

post #25 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
Ganged means that the ram is running in dual channel which also requires the ram to be put in the proper channel slots (Every other Channel) This also combines or ties the memory controllers into 1x128bit. When running in unganged mode it splits the memory controllers into it's two separate contollers and allows seperate cores to access mulitple sticks. If you are running software that is mainly working on one core. Ganged mode is great becuase there is plently of room on the 1x128bit highway. If the multiple cores are accessing the ram you might want to split the lanes into 2x64bit so that although slower in speed there are two lanes working. Same principle sorta applies to the PCIex16 splitting with crossfire. is 2x8 better or worse then 1x16 or in this case is 2x64 better or worse then 1x128. Depends on how many cpus or gpus are actually working with the software being used. P.S. I am new here and need some reps (WINK)
post #26 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

On a second not whether it is ganged or unganged they are both still duel channel. Just because you have your memory unganged does not put it in single channel. To do this you must put them in physically separate channel slots on the mobo, in most cases side by side.
post #27 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
so....

i have a phenom x3......does that mean i SHOULD get best performance with 3 sticks???

also......does it really matter what ram bays you have your sticks plugged in to?

when i set up i chose the 2 slots farthest away from my cpu heatsink...... they turned out to be slot 3 and 4....

is that an idiot move or am i ok?

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness appearing to itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather....

post #28 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe22369 View Post
so....

i have a phenom x3......does that mean i SHOULD get best performance with 3 sticks???

also......does it really matter what ram bays you have your sticks plugged in to?

when i set up i chose the 2 slots farthest away from my cpu heatsink...... they turned out to be slot 3 and 4....

is that an idiot move or am i ok?
Move ram into opposite slots. Last and second or first and third. Now you are duel channel. If you are using software that only really uses one core for for ganged mode. If you are using software that is utilizes multiple cores. I would go unganged mode. 3 cores doesnt mean you need 3 sticks and 4 cores doesnt mean you need 4 sticks.
post #29 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 65)
Thought i'd do a few tests, always been curious. Basic tests with Everest Benchies.

a.) Memory Copy

http://i41.tinypic.com/30jmrkn.jpg

It appears that with unganged mode, its slower than ganged. All top 6 tests of mine were with ganged.

b.) Memory Write

http://i41.tinypic.com/mw7clu.jpg

Memory is faster with unganged than ganged mode it appears. The 2 7750 tests near the bottom were ganged, the top 2 were unganged.

c.) Memory Read

http://i39.tinypic.com/25fpsus.jpg

It looks as if ganged is better than unganged. The top 2 7750 tests were ganged. The 3rd was unganged.

I did memory latency, but it was pretty much the same, just ganged just beat unganged by like .2. Nothing really in it. So 3/4 makes ganged the winner lol. Though unganged is a lot faster than ganged with memory write.

post #30 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 65)
Thought since its about CPU performance increase, i better do the CPU benchies too.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ynj9qh.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2db1p9s.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/dy2cr6.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vmtyio.jpg

Looks like unganged mode is better than ganged mode for dual cores (i have 2x1GB). All test results are similar, although there was a big difference in 1 of the 4 tests, the CPU PhotoWorxx.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in