BOINC ATI support thread... Unleashing the DRAGONs! Get your GPU's full worth here! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

BOINC ATI support thread... Unleashing the DRAGONs! Get your GPU's full worth here!

post #1 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

Rep: 114 (Unique: 101)
TEAM NAME: Overclock.net
TEAM STATS
TEAM BOINC PAGE

FEEL FREE TO TALK BOINC and ATI performance, your performance, etc. Intel/Nvidia folks are just as welcome here. It's all healthy competition for a good cause. Yes you can argue PPD between the brands here. Recent client releases of BOINC were big for us AMD ATI people, and so I welcome the debate on it's impact for Intel and Nvidia contributors as well!
Don't flame or put people down though - like I said, healthy competition.....

Provide proof of your numbers though - by your user name on the boinc lists..whatever, links, screenies..

For example: MY BOINC STATS (All project stats... note my overall standing - and my standing in US - AND my awesome RAC standing!!)

BOINC: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

How to join our team: Within the BOINC Manager, on the "Projects" tab: click on whichever project you'd like to dedicate your points towards team OCN. Once there - usually the page will have a "Your Account" link - if it wasn't already provided on the "Projects" tab. Within your account - quite whatever team you're on now (you won't lose credits!!!), and join "Overclock.net". That's it - simple!!

ATI SUPPORT IS HERE!!!

What you need:

1.)An ATI card - 3800 series and above. CCC drivers are your call..9.1 plus sometimes requires advanced tweak (rename AMD/ATI dll's in system 32 - ask)
2.)BOINC Manager - newest version
3.)ATI optimized apps (currently Collatz, Milkyway and Seti have apps) (*note we need Seti confirmed - can you be the one to get it to work?)
4.)tolerance for high electricity bills and an understanding wife/girlfriend/parent
5.)Desire to help science...these are multiple disciplines (astronomy, cosmology, math and of course the pursuit of alien life!). There are many CPU clients devoted to the life sciences as well (biology and the like)..yes, like folding....
6.)A drive to win....these ATI's put up nothing short of astounding numbers. Yes, currently they will crush your best Nvidia card...such is life - I will edit this when the day of parity comes. Your RAC and stats can amaze - as you can set up multiple clients and crossfire.

(please note Milkyway needs double-precision capable cards...do you have what it takes? (here inset anger at AMD for 5700 series))

HAVE FUN

A dude over at [email protected] - IT ROCKS...PERIOD - PPD out the ying yang.

And some others have made there own in Linux too for other projects. I might wait for a closer build (since I'm an enigma point whore)...but I'll give some a try.....

All I know is the dragon will come a pouncing on all those Xeon's....there will be no stopping me!

(*)those are just some of my favorite projects...all the others are cool too. My particular favorites are the astronomy/cosmology/physics based ones.

(**)It would help if ATI/AMD lent some more official development time to speed this process along to help Berkeley (and all these other projects accordingly). Nvidia is already there, and I get insane numbers from my CPU in most of the time (at least in the projects I do)...so it's the ATI folks we're talking about here.
Ok, seriously gaming now - but I'll pick this thread up and answer tomorrow. If you read this, don't let it die -say something!!!!
Google Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Beef go_quote.gif
I did my build in the kitchen (no carpets in sight) and in underwear to avoid any possible static. My roomates where kinda creeped out. headscratch.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHoleSon go_quote.gif
he reads Pentiumhouse magazine and gets so turned on by it, he will never use another processor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

Come on - no love for even the emoticons?

Quote:
I did my build in the kitchen (no carpets in sight) and in underwear to avoid any possible static. My roomates where kinda creeped out. headscratch.gif
Quote:
he reads Pentiumhouse magazine and gets so turned on by it, he will never use another processor.

post #3 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 41)
A little emoticon happy are we?

I wish I could still do [email protected], but I just can't afford the $300/month electric bill so I shutdown all my computers when they're not in use anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
WDC
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf3574 View Post
A little emoticon happy are we?

I wish I could still do [email protected], but I just can't afford the $300/month electric bill so I shutdown all my computers when they're not in use anymore.
lol. I know I work out how much it costs to run my computer by the watt-hour. It's kinda scary :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarySnack go_quote.gif
AT&T are trolls tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by the baker at jury lane go_quote.gif
and as for the latecies im not sure but it was over 1000 i think...
post #5 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

I haven't actually seen what it costs dollar wise, because that's one bill my wife pays. I do know it's high, and wish I was still renting in a place where it was free.

It kind of makes you appreciate the donation more I think, coming from a notion of you're earning your way..

And, if you think about it - my wife doesn't complain about it either - and she knows it's my computer that shoots it sky high. She knows it's my one real hobby - so she lets me be with it...so I just wish she could connect how BOINC is, what it does and what the projects all mean.

To her, it's no different than my games...and I don't think she realises the games make up only a very small fraction of the cost of what it really goes towards. I do joke saying she's cutting into my chances of breaking Enigma...and that'd I'd be mad if it was broken while I was offline....(calculation-wise).

Quote:
Quote:

post #6 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

Crunching Nirvana reached.....got the ATI [email protected] app running in Vista x64.....

4 Core Phenom deuce running at 3.6...at those temps.............

5 tasks running on the 4 cores at 90% (leaving Vista a little headroom, 8 GB or not).. and one GPU at 99%

So while listening to tunes, I can also browse the web and...

[email protected], try to break the remaining found codes.
and
[email protected], look for pulsars. (you can see Arecibo data there!!)
and
[email protected] look for aliens - BLAM!!

And of course I now am modeling the Milky Way Universe in 3D on my 4870 (kept at 790 to keep temperature manageable) - but at INSANE speeds...

All at once!!!

See the full size one linked below to see details...
CRUNCHING NIRVANA

So, here it is - the DRAGON PLATFORM in all it's glory above/\\

Seriously, I was impressed with Folding...but to see my 4870 just absolutely burning away on BOINC in a client and platform I'm more familiar with - this is crazy. GPU! GPU!

Running progress charts next to each other..blammo..that's what I call fun (CPU vs GPU).....
...Credit's are skyrocketing..skyrocketing

I wish I had more cards now..

I..I...I...I wish I had an Eyefinity

But the Netbook revolution is here... it will kill the desktop PC as we know it, right everyone? Not this guy.

Quote:
Quote:

post #7 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 106 (Unique: 89)
If only World Community Grid's project utilized GPUs...

post #8 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

Totally agreed bro

Quote:
Quote:

post #9 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Team Red Lobbyist

HERE'S the VIDEO!!!!!

Don't make fun of how shaky it is...

Quote:
Quote:

post #10 of 1419 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 106 (Unique: 89)
Wow, that is fast how it completed that work unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in