How do i define the best CPU? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

How do i define the best CPU?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderators
 
pioneerisloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Centralia, WA
Posts: 32,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

If its absolutely strictly for BOINC, which I assume is similar to [email protected] and mining, I'd say the more cores the better. In that case you'd be best off using a 6 core Xeon 1366 for budget, or a 4930k if money is no option, for a single CPU. Or you could also go for a multi CPU server platform with Xeon or Opterons.

Would a 4930k outperform a 16 core Opteron 6386 SE? or a 15 core Xeon E7-8890 v2 ?

Probably not. Those are monsters with [email protected] Again, I don't know BOINC, so I'm going off [email protected] numbers here.

DisposalAreav4.0
(15 items)
BeigeBox
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.65GHz, 1.45v (105.68x44)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
GPU
Asus RX580 8GB @ 1425 / 2150
RAM
Kingston HyperX (4x4GB) @ DDR3-1690, 9-9-9-24-1T, 1.66v
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256GB + Sandisk Ultra 240GB RAID0 (400GB)
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3TB 3.5"
Power Supply
Seasonic M12II Evo 520w
Cooling
CoolerMaster 240mm
Case
DIY PC Cuboid Blue mATX
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Hanns G 23" 1080p / 60Hz
Keyboard
Redragon 10 keyless
Mouse
Logitech Optical Mouse USB
Mousepad
Generic Onn Black
Audio
Diamond Edison 2.0
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-E33
GPU
MSI RX550 4GB
RAM
8GB GSkill Sniper DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
Intel 330 128GB SSD
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black 2.5" RAID0 1TB (500x2)
Power Supply
Antec VP450
Cooling
No fans except GPU and PSU
Case
Dell Beige Box (mATX)
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Insignia 40" LED 1080p / 60Hz Non Smart TV
Keyboard
Logitech K400R
Mouse
Logitech K400R
Mousepad
Onn Mousepad
Audio
TV Speakers / Monoprice Headphones
▲ hide details ▲


pioneerisloud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 AM
Retired Staff
 
TechCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,743
Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
In the morning ill pm a member that boinc'ed on a 4 cpu rig. He might have an answer to some of your questions.


TechCrazy is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
unseen0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,214
Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Probably not. Those are monsters with [email protected] Again, I don't know BOINC, so I'm going off [email protected] numbers here.

I think you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCrazy View Post

In the morning ill pm a member that boinc'ed on a 4 cpu rig. He might have an answer to some of your questions.

Thanks! that will be helpfull

unseen0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 AM
CYRUS + KEF + LG OLED....
 
2002dunx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,420
Rep: 42 (Unique: 41)
3.1 GHz xeon E5-2687W - would be my choice, depends whether anyone sorts BOINC to identify AVX equipped CPU's....

dunx

P.S. 8 cores/16 threads !

Faster...sonic.gif


2002dunx is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
scubadiver59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,242
Rep: 71 (Unique: 34)
Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but my female Doberman was having health issues following her last chemotherapy session for her Lymphoma and I was rather busy caring for her...

Personally, I would only buy a 2P or 4P MP system if I was going to Fold on them and stick to GPUs on BOINC.

Comparing numbers, I was crawling along with my E5-4650 and E5-4640 4P systems in Rosetta and Milky Way, both of which I heard were optimized enough to run with 4P systems. I haven't run my GPUs on either Rosetta or Milky Way so I can't be sure that they'd put out any better numbers, but if my DistrRTgen and Collatz Conjecture numbers are any indication, I'd trounce anything my 4Ps have been doing.

With Folding though my 4Ps kick the crap out of my GPUs, putting up 900k PPD vice 175k PPD on my 780 Lightning. Even spending the money I spent on my 4Ps, and purchasing GPUs, I'd still fall short since I'd have to buy several mobo's, PSUs, memory, etc to support multiple systems and still probably fall short of what my 4Ps can do.

Just my two cents...


scubadiver59 is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
unseen0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,214
Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver59 View Post

Sorry for not responding to this sooner, but my female Doberman was having health issues following her last chemotherapy session for her Lymphoma and I was rather busy caring for her...

Personally, I would only buy a 2P or 4P MP system if I was going to Fold on them and stick to GPUs on BOINC.

Comparing numbers, I was crawling along with my E5-4650 and E5-4640 4P systems in Rosetta and Milky Way, both of which I heard were optimized enough to run with 4P systems. I haven't run my GPUs on either Rosetta or Milky Way so I can't be sure that they'd put out any better numbers, but if my DistrRTgen and Collatz Conjecture numbers are any indication, I'd trounce anything my 4Ps have been doing.

With Folding though my 4Ps kick the crap out of my GPUs, putting up 900k PPD vice 175k PPD on my 780 Lightning. Even spending the money I spent on my 4Ps, and purchasing GPUs, I'd still fall short since I'd have to buy several mobo's, PSUs, memory, etc to support multiple systems and still probably fall short of what my 4Ps can do.

Just my two cents...

That's okay. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I hope she gets well soon.

About the CPU's. You suggest a 2/4p system, why not go beyond? Cost is not really the issue, i just want one solid system.
I could always dedicate my CPU's to [email protected] and GPU to boinc. Which will probably be multiple HD7990s, if there is a motherboard with multiple CPU sockets that allows me to use multiple High end PCI-E cards.

No matter how many CPU's i end up using, 2/4/8/+. Wouldn't the Opteron 6386 SE or the Xeon E7-8890 v2 be the "best"? (purely calculating wise)?

unseen0 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off