GPUGrid - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

GPUGrid

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 288 (Unique: 136)
Quote: Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
So the secret handshake is... "Run it in Windows dummy"

I actually read that when I noticed I wasn't getting tasks. Between then and now I completely forgot that was the reason why I wasn't getting any tasks.

*Edit* Thanks for the reminder @mmonnin . I just loaded up some Collatz, but I'll be back to GPUGrid if the Linux app is running again.
There are tasks for Linux again. Still just sparse work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 288 (Unique: 136)
Some over at GPUGrid forums have figured out how to use SWAN_SYNC in Linux to get getter GPU util. It also reserves an entire CPU thread though. Similar to OpenCL for NV cards in Linux, it spins up a thread for constant CPU-GPU talk.

-1) If there are tasks running: Enter BOINC Manager - Activity - Suspend. Exit Boinc Manager. This will checkpoint and stop all running tasks
-2) Open a Terminal window, and execute the following commands:
-3) sudo killall boinc
-4) sudo gedit /lib/systemd/system/boinc-client.service
-5) Add the following line immediately below [Service] tag: Environment="SWAN_SYNC=1"
-6) Save the change and close gedit instance. Return to Terminal window
-7) sudo systemctl daemon-reload
-8) sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart
-9) Close Terminal window
-10) Enter BOINC Manager - Activity - Run

https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4813#50824

More info here:
https://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=4813#50824

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM
2+2=5

Good find.
Depending on how you are running BOINC, I would dedicate 2 threads to the GPU, since one of them will always be at 100% usage to feed the GPU. This will increase screen lag on GPUGrid, so if you are crunching on your daily driver, I would suggest running GPUGrid without the SWAN_SYNC environment variable.

Quick note on the above commands, depending on your distribution, some of the commands might be a little different. Directly editing the boinc-client.service file will not survive an update of the BOINC package.
The commands below will extend the default service configuration via a configuration file, can be easily reverted, and will also survive an update to the BOINC package.

Here's a version that should work with any distro (including Debian, Ubuntu, Mint) that uses systemd (minus the Debian/Ubuntuisms and unnecessary commands ):

- Suspend all running BOINC tasks
- Open a terminal
- Stop the boinc-client service
Code:
$ sudo systemctl stop boinc-client   # I think most distros now package BOINC as boinc-client, but if your distro doesn't, then substitute "boinc-client" for the name of your distro's service
- Edit the boinc-client service file
Code:
$ sudo systemctl edit boinc-client.service   # This will open the system default terminal editor
- In the editor, add the environment variable and then save
Code:
Environment="SWAN_SYNC=1"
- Reload the boinc-client service to apply the changes
Code:
$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
- Start BOINC
Code:
$ sudo systemctl start boinc-client
- After you have re-started the BOINC client you can resume the GPUGrid task, and you will see increased CPU/GPU usage.
- To remove the variable and restore the boinc-client service to it's original state; suspend any running tasks, stop BOINC, and then from a terminal enter:
Code:
$ sudo systemctl revert boinc-client.service
$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload
*Edited* typos

Last edited by tictoc; 11-05-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 42)
Man GPUgrid is dry as a bone lately, only had 2 short tasks in the last 3 or 4 days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in