Compatibility of the EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock with Z370-I - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Compatibility of the EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock with Z370-I

Old 10-27-2017, 02:36 PM
New to Overclock.net
Apoll Level 1

Used the Z370-I with the Predator. The rubber gasket is bigger than thicker than what should be and had to trim it (can provide pictures)

Otherwise the M4 base screws need to be 2-3cm longer, and still the backplate going to sit in the air with one of the corners in such angle that cannot get screwed.

As for the board it a true gem while the 8600K is clocked at 5.1Ghz with 4.5Ghz ring. Looking forward to put the monoblock on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

I'm picking up the Z370i tomorrow and will provide measurements. I personally don't think this is too big a deal - inductors can operate at temps warm enough to not warrant a heatsink at all, and this area typically doesn't receive active cooling when a CPU block is used anyway.

I also ordered the Z270i block and should have it by the end of this week. Going off some rough A/B shots I have gathered off google, the inductors look to be about 3.5-4mm short of contacting the block.

Can anyone precisely measure the height of the inductors on the z270i for me? A small copper block could be fabricated with thermal glue to go on the bottom of the monoblock. A small tolerance (1-2mm) is OK since a thermal pad will take care of that.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

Hi guys, just measured out my z370i. Hope someone finds this useful. If anyone can do something similar for the z270i board, we can work on a solution together.

I can't find a datasheet on the inductors but they have "R30 1735" markings on the side of each one.

EDIT: My z270i block got placed on backorder, so I probably won't get that for another 2 weeks now frown.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
chibi Level 1

@akira749 - can you please chime in reading the RGB strip compatibility with the z370-i Strix? According to the manual, the Strix Z370I has a 3-pin (+5v) addressable RGB header, whereas the Z270I has your standard 4-pin (+12v) RGB header. Will there be any problems connecting this? I don't want to risk plugging it in yet and fry something I shouldn't have.

Please provide an update at your earliest convenience. Thank you! thumb.gif

Also, can someone point out which one is the inductor coil and vrm? Thank you smile.gif

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

@chibi I can answer that for you - it will not work. The ADD_HEADER on the z370i is a 5 volt output for programmable LED strips such as this and works very differently to the 12 volt RGB Header on the z270i. EK should really note this on their website under the compatability too.

I wish they didn't remove the RGB Header on the z370i, nothing can really go into this header except for LED strips. To make the RGB LED's compatible, I found the cheapest standalone RGB controller that uses 12v GRB to be the Aerocool Project 7 Hub (P7-H1) at $25 USD. Here is me testing the EK D5 RGB res with it.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
chibi Level 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear17 View Post

@chibi I can answer that for you - it will not work. The ADD_HEADER on the z370i is a 5 volt output for programmable LED strips such as this and works very differently to the 12 volt RGB Header on the z270i. EK should really note this on their website under the compatability too.

I wish they didn't remove the RGB Header on the z370i, nothing can really go into this header except for LED strips. To make the RGB LED's compatible, I found the cheapest standalone RGB controller that uses 12v GRB to be the Aerocool Project 7 Hub (P7-H1) at $25 USD. Here is me testing the EK D5 RGB res with it.

Thanks @GrumpyBear17!

I won't plug the connector in, based on your confirmation - bummer. Would you happen to know which one is the inductor vs vrm according to that picture? I might forego the monoblock entirely if the VRM does not make contact, similar to how to inductors do not.

Might be better to use a regular CPU block and keep the vrm/inductor area open for case airflow to help cool them down.

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

Hey @chibi, I've highlighted the inductors green in this picture for you.

After doing a bit of research I found the VRM's on the z370i to run quite cool, similar to the z270i, even under heavy overclocking load. There are thermal images from TweakTown indicating this.

Some of the guys on the SFF.net forums are even running these boards without the VRM heatsinks on them (!) in order to fit larger fans and provide better CPU cooling. Overclocking obviously isn't their main concern, but it goes to show what the power delivery circuit on this board can do.

Have a look at this post here (click the spoiler in the post) - you can see thermal images of the z370i running at 100% load with the VRM heatsinks off. If you look closely during the thermal images, it shows the inductors (the row of purple blocks) are hovering around I'd say 30-32 degrees. The small increase in termperature is most likely due to the copper in the PCB acting as a giant heatsink, so naturally some of this heat is radiated through the inductors and other nearby components by the board.

I'm confident in saying that the inductors will not require active cooling of their own from what I have seen, and the monoblock is still a great buy even without this. The block still serves its purpose - it completely eliminates the need to actively cool the board (and looks wicked!). EK have confirmed they won't be making a block specific for the z370i any time soon.

edit: forgot to mention - the layout between the z270i and z370i is near identical, so this block should contact the VRMs no problems. My block is in transit (was sent today), happy to be the guinea pig and confirm the fit for you in a few days.

A picture of the z270i without the VRM heatsinks is here. The VRM's are directly to the side of the inductors (the small black chips) labelled AC86N.

Cheers - Hope this helps!
Old 11-03-2017, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
chibi Level 1

Great post, thanks for all the info Grumpy! Z270I & Z370I owners should have all the bases covered now if they're looking for info regarding monoblock compatibility in this thread! thumb.gif

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

Just to make it a little bit sweeter..
Here's my z370i without the heatsinks.
Here is TweakTown's z270i..
I can confirm the same MOSFETs are used, and the hole dimensions/spacing is identical.

For anyone who wants to replace the thermal pads, the top pad is 65mm x 5mm, the side pad is 50mm x 5mm. Both pads are 1mm thick. The EK block comes with 1mm pads.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 AM
Linux Lobbyist
GrumpyBear17 Level 1

Hi guys, I got the block yesterday. Physical fit is perfect, did a press test (not screwed in) to verify.
Attached some pictures of fit and the VRM thermal pads after applying some downwards pressure.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in