Compatibility of the EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock with Z370-I - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Compatibility of the EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock with Z370-I

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
GrumpyBear17, you are our savior!
Thank you very much for those tests and info!
p.s. You tested with stock termalpads or more thick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:34 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Hey @izlomdoc, I used the pads that came with the z370i, which are 1mm thick. I have some Thermal Grizzly 8w/mK pads on the way which are 1mm thick. 0.5mm won't work, and 2mm looks like it will sacrifice block/IHS contact. 1mm is just right! laughingsmiley.gif
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 26)
Now to figure out how to get a proper RGB strip modded in biggrin.gif

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi View Post

Now to figure out how to get a proper RGB strip modded in biggrin.gif
Just buy a roll of adressable led) cut to length and solder 3 wires) it wil probbably cost $15-20 at max, led specs are included in the manual for z370i
The rest of adressable rgb strip can be used to light up the rest of the case. The rgb header on Z370i can support up to 60 led's and it is a meter of rgb led)
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear17 View Post

Hi guys, I got the block yesterday. Physical fit is perfect, did a press test (not screwed in) to verify.
Attached some pictures of fit and the VRM thermal pads after applying some downwards pressure.

Cheers

Great stuff mate, thanks. So we do not need anything extra to fit the monoblock on the Z370I?
What was EK was posting about the inductors coverage then?
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoll View Post

Great stuff mate, thanks. So we do not need anything extra to fit the monoblock on the Z370I?
What was EK was posting about the inductors coverage then?

EK confirmed cooling the inductors won't affect performance and I agree with this statement. They generate very little (if any) heat on their own. There is no need to provide any sort of cooling to them. I will have access to a thermal camera in about a week, but I'm not sure if I could get a good shot of them due to the monoblock consuming the entire board.. I'd need to run it outside of the system with no GPU connected.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 75)
is it only me that wishes they did a acetal version ? tongue.gif

i7 8700k | MSI Carbon AC ITX | G Skill Ripjaws 2 x 16GB 3200CL14 | Muskin Reactor 1TB | EVGA 750 G2 |In-Win D-Frame Mini | X34A
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:

Thanks for the info sir.
So the monoblock's RGB doesn't connect to the motherboard? You connected that tot the Project7 hub as well?
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejoris View Post

Thanks for the info sir.
So the monoblock's RGB doesn't connect to the motherboard? You connected that tot the Project7 hub as well?

Hey dejoris guy, no problem!

It won't connect to the z370i's 3-pin ADD_HEADER, but it will connect to any 4-pin +GRB header.

Let me tell you something though - you can actually get this block to work with the addressable header. There is an LED strip at the bottom of the block, and you can remove it and replace it with a 5v WS2812B addressable strip (as long as the strip isn't wider than 10mm and taller than 4mm, it will fit in the old spot). From there, you can wire that strip to the ADD_HEADER and it will come up as the ADD STRIP in the ASUS Aura software. The strip you'll have to buy will need to be 60 LED/m, which is the density of the RGB strip that comes with the block. If you want the block to be brighter, you can get a 144led/m one.

I am about to do this shortly, and I'm also converting my EK D5 X-Res into an addressable strip (it's very easy to remove the RGB strip in the D5 X-Res and replace it. Here is a crappy photo I took. The only downside is that all of this needs to be chained and soldered together, so I have a lot of sleeving to do. Doing this means you can do away with a standalone controller, and isn't very difficult to do if you're good with a soldering iron. Let me know if you need more information.

Grumpy
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:

I am about to do this shortly, and I'm also converting my EK D5 X-Res into an addressable strip (it's very easy to remove the RGB strip in the D5 X-Res and replace it. Here is a crappy photo I took. The only downside is that all of this needs to be chained and soldered together, so I have a lot of sleeving to do. Doing this means you can do away with a standalone controller, and isn't very difficult to do if you're good with a soldering iron. Let me know if you need more information.

Grumpy
is it the new rgb x-res pump or it is the old one moded?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in