EK-MLC Phoenix Expandable AIO Club & Discussion Thread - Page 38 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EK-MLC Phoenix Expandable AIO Club & Discussion Thread

post #371 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Installed my loop:

I put the pump directly on my CPU header and put all 3 fans on the PWM hub on the phoenix unit.
Controlling all the fan/pump curves with Argus Monitor.

More pics:
https://imgur.com/a/4jhQZ8b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 383 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Had to lap my CPU water block. There was a high spot in the middle and I managed a 10-15C temp reduction after lapping.

Prime95 small FFT jumped me immediately to 95C and that slowly cooled off to 85C as the pump/fans reached max speeds.

I pulled the block and inspected the TIM spread:

Clearly not seating flat against the CPU with an obvious high spot in the middle.

Broke out some 800-grit and wet-sanded a tad to see what was up:

Obvious high-spot:

Few more rounds of 800 grit to flatten out the CPU mounting area:

Polished up with 1000/1500/2000/2500/3000 and then a liquid polish

Then two quick runs of prime95 on default, and then back to small FFT to see how hot it would get. Flatlines at 80C and starts to fall:
post #373 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi there. I apologize if this has been answered already. I have spent all day trying to put together a list of parts I need for a PC and am a little burnt out. My build is rather unique and there is not a lot of info or compatible parts out there.

It will be using the Intel W-3175x on an ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme Motherboard.

I have everything figured out except my cooling solution (posted below). At this point I want to avoid a full custom loop. Although I may add that later, I just want to use an AIO. Unfortunately, that chip has an LGA 3647 socket which does not seem to have any compatible AIOs, except one from Asetek, which has been sold out for at least 5 months. I read a few reviews that stated they were using the EK-MLC 360mm Radiator (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-pho...or-core-module).

Here's what I would like to know.

It is my understanding that the EK Phoenix line is a modular AIO, which means I would not need a reservoir, and the different components are essentially plug and play with the quick connects. If that is inaccurate,
please correct me. At the moment I am only looking to cool the CPU. Can I use this radiator with the EK-Annihilator Pro (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-annihilator-pro-narrow-ilm). The Phoenix CPU blocks will not fit that particular socket, and appear to be pictured with hoses and fittings, as well as stating that they are pre-filled.

It looks like to make this work, I could purchase the EK-MLC 360mm Radiator, and if I got some fluid, hoses, and fitting, I could connect that to the CPU block. Or could I connect the fittings from the radiator directly to the CPU block? The pictures I see show both the radiator and CPU block having fittings for the other CPU blocks.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #374 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Meep

Rep: 299 (Unique: 220)
Quote: Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
Hi there. I apologize if this has been answered already. I have spent all day trying to put together a list of parts I need for a PC and am a little burnt out. My build is rather unique and there is not a lot of info or compatible parts out there.

It will be using the Intel W-3175x on an ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme Motherboard.

I have everything figured out except my cooling solution (posted below). At this point I want to avoid a full custom loop. Although I may add that later, I just want to use an AIO. Unfortunately, that chip has an LGA 3647 socket which does not seem to have any compatible AIOs, except one from Asetek, which has been sold out for at least 5 months. I read a few reviews that stated they were using the EK-MLC 360mm Radiator (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-pho...or-core-module).

Here's what I would like to know.

It is my understanding that the EK Phoenix line is a modular AIO, which means I would not need a reservoir, and the different components are essentially plug and play with the quick connects. If that is inaccurate,
please correct me. At the moment I am only looking to cool the CPU. Can I use this radiator with the EK-Annihilator Pro (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-annihilator-pro-narrow-ilm). The Phoenix CPU blocks will not fit that particular socket, and appear to be pictured with hoses and fittings, as well as stating that they are pre-filled.

It looks like to make this work, I could purchase the EK-MLC 360mm Radiator, and if I got some fluid, hoses, and fitting, I could connect that to the CPU block. Or could I connect the fittings from the radiator directly to the CPU block? The pictures I see show both the radiator and CPU block having fittings for the other CPU blocks.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for your help
Yes, you can either connect it up to the quick disconnects on the MLC rad/pump, or take off the existing tubing and hook it up directly.

Option 1:

Option 2:

You can just top off the original coolant with distilled water.
post #375 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Terrific, thanks. Is there a process I need to follow to remove air after adding fluid? As an aside, would there be any reason not to connect one radiator to another for multiple radiators? Hoping to get some more radiator surface area, so was thinking of doing a 240mm to a 360mm to the CPU block.
post #376 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
Is there a process I need to follow to remove air after adding fluid?
Yeah, it's all in the EK MLC manual.

I suggest reading it, there's a lot of good info in there, esp at the end.
post #377 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by acquacow View Post
Installed my loop:

I put the pump directly on my CPU header and put all 3 fans on the PWM hub on the phoenix unit.
Controlling all the fan/pump curves with Argus Monitor.

More pics:
https://imgur.com/a/4jhQZ8b
Your loop is very similar to my setup, except that I use 360+120 Phoenix radiators and installed an additional EK-DDC Pump+Reservoir combo to increase the flow (1000 l/h vs 250 l/h of the SPC pump included in the Phoenix). Tbh, looking in retrospective, maybe I should have bought the EK 360 Xtreme WC kit in the first place instead of being a lazy a$$

I´m happy with my setup and temps are ok´ish for an OC 9900K+ OC 2080Ti, but they´re not as good as in a proper WC Loop. The Phoenix tubes are way too long, and having 3 QDC restricts the flow. Also, I´m not an aesthetics whore but it´s really a bit of a mess with all those long black tubes. The good thing though, is that maintaining the loop will be a breeze, I bought another QDC just for emptying the coolant when necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_134328_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	294520  

Rokugan ROG Max
(20 items)
CPU
INTEL i9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
GPU
Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC + HEATKILLER IV WB
RAM
G. Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 RAM Memory
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB
Optical Drive
LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W 80 Plus Platinum
Cooling
EK MLC-PHOENIX 360 + 120
Case
CORSAIR 780T
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO
Monitor
SAMSUNG HU9000 4K 55'
Keyboard
CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
LOGITECH G502 Lightspeed
Mouse
CORSAIR MM800 RGB POLARIS
Mouse
LOGITECH Powerplay
Audio
CREATIVE SOUNBLASTER ZxR + Burson V6 Vivid
Audio
CREATIVE SOUNBLASTER EVO ZxR Wireless
Audio
SENNHEISER HD800 SDR
Audio
Monolith M1060 + Audeze Vegan
▲ hide details ▲
post #378 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by ROKUGAN View Post
Your loop is very similar to my setup, except that I use 360+120 Phoenix radiators and installed an additional EK-DDC Pump+Reservoir combo to increase the flow (1000 l/h vs 250 l/h of the SPC pump included in the Phoenix). Tbh, looking in retrospective, maybe I should have bought the EK 360 Xtreme WC kit in the first place instead of being a lazy a$$

I´m happy with my setup and temps are ok´ish for an OC 9900K+ OC 2080Ti, but they´re not as good as in a proper WC Loop. The Phoenix tubes are way too long, and having 3 QDC restricts the flow. Also, I´m not an aesthetics whore but it´s really a bit of a mess with all those long black tubes. The good thing though, is that maintaining the loop will be a breeze, I bought another QDC just for emptying the coolant when necessary.
Nice setup still. Did you leave the stock SPC pumps alone and just added a DDC? I have a MLC 360 and 280 in my system and was debating on replacing one of the SPC pumps with a DDC but was afraid if there would be issues with the SPC still in the loop.
post #379 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricey20 View Post
Nice setup still. Did you leave the stock SPC pumps alone and just added a DDC? I have a MLC 360 and 280 in my system and was debating on replacing one of the SPC pumps with a DDC but was afraid if there would be issues with the SPC still in the loop.
Yes, just added the DDC on top of the 2 SPCs in the MLC radiators. The DDC is connected to a separate WC pump header than the SPCs so I can control the speed independently (it´s about 2x faster typically at same %). Zero problems, all 3 in PWM. Also the reservoir makes it much easier to bleed the loop out of air. Don´t expect a huge improvement in temps, though. It´s more a convenience thing, also a double safe in case a pump in the radiator fails, as the SPC is a "value oriented" pump (in EKWB´s words).

Rokugan ROG Max
(20 items)
CPU
INTEL i9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
GPU
Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC + HEATKILLER IV WB
RAM
G. Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 RAM Memory
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 1TB
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB
Optical Drive
LG BH16NS55 Blu-Ray
Power Supply
CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W 80 Plus Platinum
Cooling
EK MLC-PHOENIX 360 + 120
Case
CORSAIR 780T
Operating System
WINDOWS 10 PRO
Monitor
SAMSUNG HU9000 4K 55'
Keyboard
CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
LOGITECH G502 Lightspeed
Mouse
CORSAIR MM800 RGB POLARIS
Mouse
LOGITECH Powerplay
Audio
CREATIVE SOUNBLASTER ZxR + Burson V6 Vivid
Audio
CREATIVE SOUNBLASTER EVO ZxR Wireless
Audio
SENNHEISER HD800 SDR
Audio
Monolith M1060 + Audeze Vegan
▲ hide details ▲
post #380 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hello all. I have bought on the recent price drops the Phoenix MLC 280 core+CPU block. I also bought the DDC elite 3.2 pwm pump to replace the SPC one. Unfortunately I did not manage to mount it due to being too hight(rotor). Is there something that I'm missing? Can only be replaced on the Predator unit and not on the Phoenix? Thanks.

Last edited by ninjaskija; 09-22-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in