EKWB radiator cooling power, wrong data? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EKWB radiator cooling power, wrong data?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
EKWB radiator cooling power, wrong data?

Hi all!

I'm trying to figure what is the best radiator to buy from EK. There are thin 28mm radiators with 22FPI, 38mm thickness radiators with 19FPI, 45 and 60mm thickness radiators with 16FPI. Which one is the most efficient??

Well there is no data about the cooling capacity of each radiator directly in its respective page. I had to go to the custom configurator and extract them all for the various configurations we have (silent operation, silent with overclock and overclock). Probably it's an estimation but still it makes no sense.
But there's more questions, which fans did you use to get this data? How much RPM did they run? What's the ar flow? There are no numbers for this...

I attached a small excel file with the data I extracted.
Well I had to swap the columns in red so it could make sense to me, because silent OC configuration should have had the fans at a lower RPM than extreme OC config. As an example, the SE 120 radiator with silent OC has 141W cooling capacity and at extreme OC config 129W, which makes no sense.

It should be much simpler to select a radiator size, based on the thermal load we have!

In the datasheet I did some more maths and I think the last column should be a constant (it's a measure of power over surface area) but I see too much variation, which tells me again the data is wrong, or I'm wrong...

So I'm asking EK can you provide the actual cooling capacity for this radiators? Cooling capacity charts vs fan speed vs flow rate?
Or maybe someone made a good benchmark?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rads.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	231694  

Attached Files
File Type: zip EK Radiators.zip (12.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by sergiocrz; 11-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:42 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
The answer is don't buy an EK radiator other than the super thick 60mm thickness XE radiator.
https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/3...ator-review/5/

The PE series radiator is mediocre (not bad , not great) as seen at xtremerigs but also at hardwaremax:
https://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserku...wall=&start=13

See also PCGH article:
https://www.aquatuning.de/download/3...-PCGH05-14.pdf

Name:	PCGH 2014.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	230040

Information through Martinsliquidlab from 2012 as well:
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.c...otout-summary/

If you want a slim radiator, the HW labs Nemesis GTS (30mm thickness , very high liquid flow restriction) and the new XSPC TX (20mm thickness , medium liquid flow restriction) radiators do a far better job in line with the PE series from EKWB.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XSPC/TX360/5.html

From EKWB's own site:
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/ , https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-...ace-thickness/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooling-Capacity-1.png
Views:	39
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	230036  

Name:	EK_Radiator_Performance_Chart_3.png
Views:	55
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	230038  

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 11-07-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

AlphaC that's awesome. Thanks. I'll check it out carefully later today. Maybe I'll go for the largest and thickest and I should be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 86 (Unique: 69)
Whats mediocre about the PE rads? From the charts ported above it seems to have defeated several much thicker rads and stays near to the lead.

Honestly though people place far too much importance on testing results charts. They can make the differences seem larger than they are in real life, especially if your system will be using more than a single radiator.

To make a really good choice knowing at what speed you will run your fans most of the time, like when gaming for example, helps a lot.

Just buying the largest and thickest rad will give you worse results if your fans will never run over 1000rpm for example. In that case thinner rads can work better.

If instead you have limited rad space available so will likely be running fans up to say 1850rpm to keep temps down with a single rad then extra thickness is definately useful.

All rads also perform differently in a real cases than they do in test environments.

Last edited by Ashcroft; 11-13-2018 at 10:54 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
Whats mediocre about the PE rads? From the charts ported above it seems to have defeated several much thicker rads and stays near to the lead.

Honestly though people place far too much importance on testing results charts. They can make the differences seem larger than they are in real life, especially if your system will be using more than a single radiator.

To make a really good choice knowing at what speed you will run your fans most of the time, like when gaming for example, helps a lot.

Just buying the largest and thickest rad will give you worse results if your fans will never run over 1000rpm for example. In that case thinner rads can work better.

If instead you have limited rad space available so will likely be running fans up to say 1850rpm to keep temps down with a single rad then extra thickness is definately useful.

All rads also perform differently in a real cases than they do in test environments.
Yes charts can be misleading so that's why I like to take the absolute difference when comparing 2 values/products.

Now I'm 'scratching my head' here with that sentence about the largest and thickest radiator being worse. How do you explain that?

Looking at the charts largest is always better. And thinking that if you have a bigger surface area to dissipate heat the better, even with no air flow that's true.

I'm thinking about buying the thermaltake level 20 xt so radiator space shouldn't be a problem. I'll add two 200mm fans at the front and 1 or 2 extra at the bottom to cool the water pump directly and the hard drives.
Double 480mm rads at the top of the case, with fans at low RPM for low noise, maybe around 1000RPM.

What do you guys think about the setup?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in