The Dell Optiplex Thread - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Dell Optiplex Thread

post #91 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 13)
It's just for fun really but 2.83 gets you 36-38% CPU, and the common highest denominator the Q9650 gets 40%. The OC E520 @ 3.72Ghz gets 44%, probably what a 3.33Ghz would score ( I haven't seen one yet). That would be a good starting point for an overclock. The T3400 @ 4.15Ghz gets 57% so it does add up, and does get well into i3, and i5 territory. with the GTX1050 it can run 1080P games for cheap. Some people with kids may need to put their money elsewhere, but would like the kids off of the street too. For power users it may be irrelevant, but at Tomshardware the question comes up daily from teenagers, students and others.
I know Tom's Forum isn't highly regarded. I got rumors and nonsense there myself when I was a noob. if you want something done right do it yourself. So I decided to fix the part of it I could.
Anyway no one has overclocked one of these yet except the hoary old E6600 tapemod trick, or a couple pinmodded e7500s. Nobody really knows what results these can produce. I guarantee you nobody predicted a 2006 Dell Dimension E520 would sit at 2nd place in CPUZ for 2 years. I got bumped by 10Mhz, and the guy couldn't repeat it the next day. The MB died from swollen caps, and the PCIe slot on my spare blew out. So no E520 for now. the 380 isn't being modded right now because I'm using it for the internet. If yo already have better stuff then it may seem irrelelvant, but if you don't they're godsends. If somebody needs a computer to find a job, or work at home and watch the kids These $20 POS reallly make a difference.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
As I said, I have one myself. Even at 4Ghz it is far below modern i3 in any task. It is just a sad truth.

Benchmarks are irrelevant, no one really cares who is te best among the worst. And if you want to push 775 platform for some abstract records, looking for cheap OEM platforms is not a best solution.

I also got one 745 for my mom with E8400 and she is happy, but for me, it is inconvenient even for browsing.
post #93 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post

As I said, I have one myself. Even at 4Ghz it is far below modern i3 in any task. It is just a sad truth.

Benchmarks are irrelevant, no one really cares who is te best among the worst. And if you want to push 775 platform for some abstract records, looking for cheap OEM platforms is not a best solution.

I also got one 745 for my mom with E8400 and she is happy, but for me, it is inconvenient even for browsing.

Obviously you're not impressed. But I'm not impressed by people who buy a bunch of the latest over priced tech, that will be obsolete in 6 months anyway. Snap it together like a bunch of Leggos and pretend they've done something.There are plenty of other threads that cater to guys like you.
When you can put a 12 year old OEM in 2nd place at CPUZ QX6800 using a $10 BTX cooler, and surplus server fan, I think it shows that guys like you don't know what they're talking about.The typical overclock on that chip is 3.45GHz. I went 2x multipliers beyond that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post

If you don't like Optiplexes why are you posting here in the first place?

And as i said i have more powerful computers also. Way beyond the i3 your so obsessed with. I could buy the latest tech, snap it together like Leggos and pretend i've done something useful. I choose to do OEM computers because much of it it hasn't been done before. This is probably completely foreign to a "monkey see monkey do" guy like you. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding other monkeys that agree with you though. That's how it works isn't it. Show one thing here that YOU were the first to do. Show one Overclocking technique that YOU perfected yourself.
Can you even show where YOU have done something to help other people enjoy their computers. Becuase i'm not seeing it.

As far as your low opinion of OEM computers, it's not based an any real experience.
http://valid.x86.fr/top-cpu/496e74656c28522920436f726528544d29322045787472656d652043505520513638303020204020322e393347487a
Apparently somebody does care about this record because they went to some trouble to take it. Several tries, AND they couldn't repeat it.
That record was with A $10 BTX cooler T9303, and a server fan. GFB1212VHG. $15. no aftermarket parts. When I set that I was actually in 3rd place with 3.72GHz also. The aftermarket guys were all at 3.45GHz.
You don't know how a Dell T3500 W3690 overclock will run, because it's never been done properly. But you ACT like you DO.
Why wouldI care what you do or do not like? I'm not your Mommy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post

Obviously you're not impressed. But I'm not impressed by people who buy a bunch of the latest over priced tech, that will be obsolete in 6 months anyway. Snap it together like a bunch of Leggos and pretend they've done something.There are plenty of other threads that cater to guys like you.

my main PC is [email protected] with GTX 1060, so I'm not the guy "like me", I do not see any reason to buy a new PC every year to get 5% increase in benchmarks.
Quote:
When you can put a 12 year old OEM in 2nd place at CPUZ QX6800 using a $10 BTX cooler, and surplus server fan, I think it shows that guys like you don't know what they're talking about.
it only means that you have a lot of spare time
Quote:
If you don't like Optiplexes why are you posting here in the first place?
I like them, I had like 5-6 of them, they are still good homeserver platforms or low-end browsings PCs.
If my current server will fry (which would not be a surprise after 10 years), I might even look for the same aftermarket model. They are just not meant to be overclocked, this is just cheap office grade hardware, reliable, but without ambition.
Quote:
This is probably completely foreign to a "monkey see monkey do" guy like you.
well, you completely missed the point like 4 times already by this point.
Quote:
Show one Overclocking technique that YOU perfected yourself.
no one gives a hsit about hardcore overclocking here, on this thread.
Quote:
That record was with A $10 BTX cooler T9303, and a server fan. GFB1212VHG. $15. no aftermarket parts. When I set that I was actually in 3rd place with 3.72GHz also. The aftermarket guys were all at 3.45GHz.
this is like special olympics
Quote:
You don't know how a Dell T3500 W3690 overclock will run, because it's never been done properly. But you ACT like you DO.
I act like I don't care
post #95 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

This IS "Overclock".net.
This IS a thread about upgrading Optiplexes.
I'm retired. i do have a lot of time. I choose to spend it helping people who need help with their Optiplexes.
I don't think I'm missing the point at all.

So which one is yours? I can't find it in the crowd.
http://valid.x86.fr/top-cpu/496e74656c28522920436f726528544d292069352d333537304b20435055204020332e343047487a

post #96 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

You post in a website about overclocking and don't think people should overclock their computers.
So you post in a thread about upgrading Optiplexes to say you don't believe they should be upgraded.
You've been her since 2016 and your rep. is 2. You actually don't show a computer at all in your sig.
I got more rep. in this week posting about Optiplexes than you did in a whole year.
But you think people should be impressed with your opinions for some "reason".
Everything about you is mediocre, and you know it. And the more you try to prove otherwise the more obvious it becomes.
The "Special Olympics " is too good for guys like you.

post #97 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
This IS "Overclock".net.
This IS a thread about upgrading Optiplexes.
This thread is about affordable OEM desktops, and possibly even about upgrading them. But upgrading is not hardcore overclocking. Even overclocking is not a hardcore overclocking.
Quote:
I choose to spend it helping people who need help with their Optiplexes.
still not hardcore overclocking
Quote:
I don't think I'm missing the point at all.
your missed points were about me being "one of those guys" who "Snap it together like a bunch of Leggos and pretend they've done something."
And you missed that point again
Quote:
So which one is yours? I can't find it in the crowd.
yey, hardcore overclocking again
Quote:
You post in a website about overclocking and don't think people should overclock their computers.
It is a forum about hardware and software, and I never said that I "don't think people should overclock their computers". I said that it is not adding a lot of value in this particular case. And again, hardcore overclocking is a negative value here (cost, temp, energy consumption, shorter lifecycle)
Quote:
So you post in a thread about upgrading Optiplexes to say you don't believe they should be upgraded.
Nope, not what I said again
Quote:
You've been her since 2016 and your rep. is 2. You actually don't show a computer at all in your sig.
I got more rep. in this week posting about Optiplexes than you did in a whole year.
I acknowledge that your e-peen on this forum is bigger than mine frown.gif
Quote:
But you think people should be impressed with your opinions for some "reason".
I don't think that people should be impressed by forum posts frown.gif
Quote:
Everything about you is mediocre, and you know it. And the more you try to prove otherwise the more obvious it becomes.
I've said multiple times, that I have few mediocre PCs with mediocre overclocking, I'm glad that you got at least that part right.
post #98 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 04:43 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
You can run the Dell A22 BIOS on a Dell 755.
And for SetFSB the PLL setting that works is CV193PAG.

Dell Technical Guide Book form 755
Service Manual

755 - 800MHz Memory Configurations from Dell
4GB1 DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (2 DIMM)
4GB1 DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (4 DIMM)
2GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (1DIMM)
2GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (2 DIMM)
1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (1 DIMM)

Even though not listed 4 x 2 gig (4 DIMM) 800MHz memory works.
You can run 1066 memory but it will downclock to 800 MHz

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #99 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks I'll pass it on.

post #100 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

I found this from numberfive.

i just thought i'd share it for him so you can see what kind of computer he actually has. he seems quite pleased with it.
Forum: Build Logs
Thread: [Build/Upgrade Log] The Optiplex 755 SFF twins. 2 identical machines, 2 completely different purposes.

I've read a post from a guy who is deep into bios programming (I think it was even somewhere here on the forums), he said that for dell it is not unusual to have "server related" microcode to be included in desktop grade motherboards, this particular case with 755 and Q35 was discussed as an example.I myself run x3363 in Dell 755 without any bios modifications. It is running 24/7, overclocked with setFSB and without any problems.Just don't forget that 5xxx series is not...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in