The Dell Optiplex Thread - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Dell Optiplex Thread

post #21 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Ah, a retro gaming rig will do well on even a nice high clock single threaded pc. the gx620 most likely could use a ram upgrade though. Some of these old boat anchors came with 256mb chips and 512mb chips.

grab 2 or 4 1gb sticks on ebay and you'll be good!

oh, and also a nice retro card, like maybe a 9600gt or something like that or ati x1300.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 230 (Unique: 164)
Well ilI have bought a nice cheap copy of w2k pro, 4gbs ram max and dual cpu make it a good choice. also there is no online authentication

my new ish usff will have 2gb ram as I've already got 4x1gb xms2 at my dads house.

This thing should fly with the pentium d 820

Roads? Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads!

post #23 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

So I just installed w2k for the second time and now its working flawlessly. The first instance it bsod'd while installing and I wasnt aware since I was having dinner but I realised what caused it

Get ready

Execute disable bit

Anyhoo that was promply disabled aswel as multicore support and it installed in aboit 45mims including the ntfs format

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 109 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Blessed to Serve

Lol, wow. I wouldn't have thought that, but I never have installed Win2k freshly before. I think XP Pro is disable bit friendly, right? I don't recall ever having issues with that back then.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #25 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceeloc View Post

Lol, wow. I wouldn't have thought that, but I never have installed Win2k freshly before. I think XP Pro is disable bit friendly, right? I don't recall ever having issues with that back then.

I think xp worked with xbd, it was auto enabled in the bios but when I read up on it it said that not all os's are compatible with it.

Now its fully upto date with sp4 and dx9.0c, I did have trouble installing the soundmax driver because the chipset driver was dx7 and the sound driver was dx8.1.
So I popped in a copy of full spectrum warrior to get dx9 installed

What a difference from no servicepack to sp4, the os responds much faster and really feels similar to xp

post #26 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Blessed to Serve

Coolness. smile.gif I somewhat remember those days. Back when there weren't lots of usb drivers for anything, lol. Everything had a driver cd come with it. Good times! biggrin.gif
In some ways it was probably better than XP because it didn't have some of the fluff that XP had.

post #27 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceeloc View Post

Coolness. smile.gif I somewhat remember those days. Back when there weren't lots of usb drivers for anything, lol. Everything had a driver cd come with it. Good times! biggrin.gif
In some ways it was probably better than XP because it didn't have some of the fluff that XP had.
I've primary used it until release of XP SP3 (when it became decent). Until then 2K was perfect for gaming and anything else.
I rarely had any problems with drivers.
post #28 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Blessed to Serve

Yeah XP SP3 seems quite lightweight compared to Windows 10! Even Windows 7!

post #29 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

All I can tell you is Dells use a lot of proprietary parts so be careful mixing and matching Dells with non Dell parts.

I hacked out a 0773VG From a Optiplex 7010 from work and can confirm the proprietary parts fiasco. It's in a Raidmax case with a 960 and Corsair 650x.
The only issues I had was the front panel header is proprietary so I rigged the power to work with the Raidmax case power button, The BIOS requires me to acknowledge that the header has been modified with a click of F1, and a long GPU gets in the way of SATA ports so I dropped in a 960 mITX.
post #30 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post

Quote:
The BIOS requires me to acknowledge that the header has been modified with a click of F1...
There is a BIOS setting to not report errors. If you turn the error reporting off the error message will just flash for a second or so and you don't have to do the F1 press.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in