The Dell Optiplex Thread - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Dell Optiplex Thread

post #61 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 6)
Good stuff, dude.
Should be a beast with 980ti, but in this form factor is not quite practical due to GPU size limitations, I think smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 191 (Unique: 171)
Yea i had to use a pcie extension cable.
post #63 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Never use DIY-fi.

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Lil' bump, Optiplex 740 is good if you want a cheap dual-core AMD system, I am currently in progress with one, an X600 should work well in it, not sure because I haven't gotten the adapter for it, thought.

Damn 7th gen i7s, all smug with those 1080s.
I'm sitting here with an i7 4790 and a GTX 745, paired with an upgraded prebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I acquired an Optiplex 745 SFF about a year ago. It came with an 80GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a Pentium D 945 (I think). I added another 2GB ram and swapped the Pentium D for a Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.16Ghz. I used it as a dedicated Minecraft server for a while but it has been unused for a couple months now. It is a great machine smile.gif

The Venator
(15 items)
Daedalus
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-D3H
GPU
MSI RX 470 Gaming X 8GB
RAM
Kingston
RAM
Kingston
Hard Drive
Three HDDs
Power Supply
Ultra LSP 750
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper T2
Case
Thermaltake Versa H22
Operating System
Windows 7, 8.1 Pro, and 10
Monitor
LG flatron EW224
Monitor
AOC E2252S
Monitor
AOC E2252S
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Mouse
Corsair Sabre RGB
CPU
AMD FX-6300
Motherboard
GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
GPU
XFX R9-380X DD XXX OC
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Hyundai Electronics
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Stock FX-6300 cooler
Case
Case from a prebuilt
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
AOC E2252Sw
Keyboard
Standard USB Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech M185
▲ hide details ▲
post #65 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM
Never use DIY-fi.

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
You should consider putting a GT 1030 in that and using it as a secondary system, and since it is SFF, it could be a little portable gaming system, depending on the kind of games you play.

Damn 7th gen i7s, all smug with those 1080s.
I'm sitting here with an i7 4790 and a GTX 745, paired with an upgraded prebuilt.
post #66 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
For those that wanted to throw in a heavier duty GPU but are limited by the PSU, you might find this interesting
post #67 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Lol!...well I guess that can work, but there's a decent amount of Precision workstations out there that take standard ATX power supplies these days. I guess if you are stuck on a budget though.....well no I don't like it. Hopefully budgets are built around income, not just windfalls, so waiting a couple months for that PC "envelope" to fill a little more would be the best bet. Then you can land a Precision T3500 with a Xeon W3580 or something. smile.gif Mine at work already came with....I think it was a 700w 80 plus power supply in it. No it might have been bigger than that actually.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #68 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceeloc View Post

Lol!...well I guess that can work, but there's a decent amount of Precision workstations out there that take standard ATX power supplies these days. I guess if you are stuck on a budget though.....well no I don't like it. Hopefully budgets are built around income, not just windfalls, so waiting a couple months for that PC "envelope" to fill a little more would be the best bet. Then you can land a Precision T3500 with a Xeon W3580 or something. smile.gif Mine at work already came with....I think it was a 700w 80 plus power supply in it. No it might have been bigger than that actually.

Yeah thats true, but there are other systems that this would apply to if not optiplex, like HP Z workstation systems. Its nice that the the big PC brands started shifting towards standard PSU pinouts a while ago.
post #69 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Blessed to Serve

Yes they finally started to learn after a while! It seems they started out more or less standard, then tried to protect their brand by doing proprietary junk, then came back to standard more or less.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #70 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Blessed to Serve

Correction: Maybe they never will learn completely. There are a plentiful amount of propriety parts and even fan connectors on these stinking things. I just acquired a Dell Optiplex 9020, which is a bit newer and is still plagued with a proprietary power supply maxing out at 290w. It is 80 plus gold though. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in