How to get the most out ofmy browser? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to get the most out ofmy browser?

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Bump

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Lost In A Void Of BSOD's

Rep: 49 (Unique: 44)
Came here from your other post, but have you tried any other browsers? Chome for instance? ive never been fond of firefox due to the speed. but is it fully updated? i mean your specs are beyond enough for web browsing, a gpu upgrade wouldnt do anything, id just make sure your drivers are updated and try some other browsers, it may be some one off issue with firefox on that computer or how it manages its resources.

And To The Dust We Shall Return

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 85 (Unique: 67)

Last time i used plex it had a memory leak and the longer i left it on the more memory it was using.  At one point it was maxing out the ram after being on so long causing system lag.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by InverseTundra View Post

Came here from your other post, but have you tried any other browsers? Chome for instance? ive never been fond of firefox due to the speed. but is it fully updated? i mean your specs are beyond enough for web browsing, a gpu upgrade wouldnt do anything, id just make sure your drivers are updated and try some other browsers, it may be some one off issue with firefox on that computer or how it manages its resources.

No not yet, I have been out of town so in the mean time I have been trying to get some theories to investigate what the cause of the slow downs are when I get back which will be effectively tomorrow.

I never had issues with Firefox and prefer it. It's just odd that my sig rig doesn't exhibit these issues in the slightest which is why I believed it to be a hardware problem. Maybe the ssd is going bad?

As for plex, I have 0 issues in relation to memory leaks. Seems to top out around 4GB? My issues with plex are that it can't stream a single high quality 1080p aac audio. Not sure why it gets so much praise, seems like garbage at the moment but need more time with it, I suppose.

I forgot to mention this is a fresh install of windows 7 as well

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Lost In A Void Of BSOD's

Rep: 49 (Unique: 44)
Are you using wireless or are you hardwired? if wireless it may be the wifi chip.

And To The Dust We Shall Return

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Unfortunately this happens on both WiFi and ethernet

I'll see about getting a screen recording tonight so I can better display what I mean.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
If you use the extension "AdBlock Plus", try to switch to "uBlock Origin" instead. The last time I looked, this uBlock Origin thingy was a lot more efficient.

Uninstall Flash. Most websites are fine today without Flash, and you could use Chrome when you run into one that really needs Flash (Chrome ships with its own Flash).

Newer Firefox versions can use multiple threads instead of just a single one like in the past. You can check if it's enabled for you by going to the URL "about:support" and looking for the entry "multiprocess windows" in the first table there. It should show "1/1" if it's running and you have one window open. I don't know if it's normally enabled or not, but there should be a way to force it enabled (which I forgot). You should find something about the topic by searching for "e10s" (that's the code-name for that multi-process project). I can tell you that in the "Firefox Developer Edition" version of Firefox, there's a check-box for this in the preferences.

This multi-process thingy by default uses just one single thread for the web content in all tabs. You can make it so each tab gets its own thread. This is the setting named "dom.ipc.processCount" in the "about:config" page. I've set it to "48". This makes it so up to 48 tabs won't have to share a thread. It will use a lot of RAM if you have dozens of tabs open, but you should be fine with your 20GB.

There is an interesting setting in "about:config" named "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" that is changing how early Firefox starts painting a new URL you visit. It by default waits for quite a bit so that it won't have to redraw a half-loaded page as much. If you reduce that number a lot, Firefox will feel better as it will appear as if it reacts faster when you click on a link. This problem was fixed recently in the nightly version of Firefox and set to 5 ms over there, but I don't know if this is already in the released version. I've set "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" = 5 manually here for me.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

thanks for the tips deepor, I'll try them out soon.

Do you have any idea how flash is handled? I just tried flash on Firefox and it was basically a slideshow. I'm curious if it is handled by the gpu?

I had been using Chrome in Ubuntu for a while and it was fine for the most part so I may just dedicate Chrome for that purpose in Windows.

I'm pretty interested in the settings you mentioned as well, I'll be hoping on that soon

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I really do hate double bumping but this is just an update

Seems turning off Hardware acceleration solves the issues with a lot of what I am experiencing, including video playback in firefox.

If my suspicions are true then it must be that the GPU is failing?

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 470 (Unique: 317)
I would guess that there's something wrong with the driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in