How to get the most out ofmy browser? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to get the most out ofmy browser?

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 434 (Unique: 322)
Just replaced the driver with the latest from nvidia and it goes back to being a slideshow.

I kind of need hardware acceleration as browsing without it is pretty choppy in its own right. I dont mind replacing the GPU, just want to confirm before pulling the trigger on a m5100

Just downloaded Windows 10 from dreamspark so I might give that a try

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 464 (Unique: 312)
Are you sure it is using the separate GPU on the laptop's board? It could be that "nvidia Optimus" hybrid setup where the display is wired to the GPU that's integrated into the CPU, and the separate gpu from nvidia is mostly powered off and only used for games but not for a web browser. Today nearly everything is this kind of setup. I don't know if this was already as popular at the time of Sandy Bridge CPUs.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I went and disabled Optimus in the bios and now it's much better, websites are snappy and flash content is smooth (to an extent). I'm thinking the old 540m is holding the rest of the system back

Luckily with this system its set to where I can force the dGPU to power the monitor instead of integrated

Even though it's choppy at times it doesn't use 3d clocks that much, with AMD I could force constant 3d clocks but it's been a while since I tweaked with Nvidia mobile gpu's

Either way this is a great step forward and I plan to try out your tweaks for Firefox that you mentioned as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Lost In A Void Of BSOD's

Rep: 49 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

I went and disabled Optimus in the bios and now it's much better, websites are snappy and flash content is smooth (to an extent). I'm thinking the old 540m is holding the rest of the system back

Luckily with this system its set to where I can force the dGPU to power the monitor instead of integrated

Even though it's choppy at times it doesn't use 3d clocks that much, with AMD I could force constant 3d clocks but it's been a while since I tweaked with Nvidia mobile gpu's

Either way this is a great step forward and I plan to try out your tweaks for Firefox that you mentioned as well.

You can force states and frequencys with nvidia inspector, i just had to do it recently for my folding gpu.

https://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/guide-nvidia-inspector-gtx670-680-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting/0_20

And To The Dust We Shall Return

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright, necroing this thread a bit.

The culprit was the Quadro 1000m /540m, it was on its way out. Replaced with a m5100 2GB some time ago (similar to 7770), everything has been snappy since.

Im curious if there are any other tweaks for getting the most out of my browser? I dont care about the hit on the hardware, this is mostly a school computer with some games on the side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in