Shipping a desktop with a bulky air cooler - good idea? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Shipping a desktop with a bulky air cooler - good idea?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
That is true. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Insurance, service departments, and enough volume to justify custom packaging...they can afford it.

You certainly are right about that. It seems like the OP is constrained to sending the pc fully assembled and is assuming there will be some risk. wink.gif

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3132 (Unique: 1869)
Well, you do what you've got to do.

I'd personally try to put an AIO cooler on the CPU and have the recipient install the GPU if at all possible, but if that's not possible, there has been plenty of solid advice about how to pack the system.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks for the tips, old thread and it was already shipped before many replies came in but I'm happy to report it arrived safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 188 (Unique: 170)
Last time I shipped a desktop I had to pack the inside with Foam that they had to remove. If you don't pack it well where the cooler is supported and the GPU for that matter I will bet it ends up DOA from how the boxes are treated during shipping. I always label my boxes Glass when they are computers that are together.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justiceinacan View Post

Thanks for the tips, old thread and it was already shipped before many replies came in but I'm happy to report it arrived safe.

Nice, so how did you do it? Let's have some closure on this thread. smile.gif

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 38)
Glad it worked out. One thing that can be done in the future for this type of thing is to use foam or stacked cardboard and carve it out to fit around your components inside the case.

CPU: Intel Core i5 8600K // Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Taichi // Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL14 // GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Mini // SSD: Seagate 600 240GB // HDD: WD 1TB Blue WD10EZEX // Case: Lian Li PC A05 NB // Heatsinks: PH-TC14PE // Fans: 2xCorsair SP120L, 2xThermalright TY143, 1xYate Loon D14BH-12 PWM https://valid.x86.fr/29fsdx
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I kept the case in it's own box, and kept the styrofoam bits it came with
Surrounded that box with fillers, ya know
Put a big box around that
I basically took your advice (but from someone else) and filled the inner bits with packing materials too. A RAM stick came loose but it was straightforward enough for him to re-install it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in