Shipping a desktop with a bulky air cooler - good idea? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Shipping a desktop with a bulky air cooler - good idea?

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hey all, I am going to be shipping soon, a desktop that I built for some far-away family. I decided to go with ground as I figured air would wind up on a truck anyways and time isn't super critical. UPS is my company of choice, going from eastern coast to somewhere in Louisiana.

The build is going to feature a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - infamous fan. If it helps any more I might suck up the $10 and give em a Cryorig H7

I'm particularly worried about the rigors of shipping - I've heard / seen lots, guys just chucking a package if it's got some weight to it, PC's arriving with warped motherboards and utterly destroyed heatsinks.

I'm asking about the chances of it arriving that way. What are your experiences with shipments like these?

Counterpoints to some things
"just let them assemble the CPU cooler" - reason why I'm building for them is that they probably wouldn't know how and I'd like to just send the full package if I can

"just drive it yourself" - that's a 24 hour drive... not counting the way back.

---
I plan on shipping with the box the case came in, then getting a bigger box and stuffing packing peanuts between both boxes. I also plan on making sure they know it's fragile, stickers on all sides and everything, and finally insuring the package. I'd still like to avoid making any claims of breakage, etc. if it is at all preventable, I know USPS and FedEx often do everything they can to not let a claim successfully pass through but UPS seems pretty reputable. (First time shipping a big package to someone so...)

Thanks for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
bump

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Can you put lots of dunnage and fluff inside the case for shipping? Basically to immobilize the cooler while in transit. And then instruct the person on the other end to remove all the stuffing out of the case.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceeloc View Post

Can you put lots of dunnage and fluff inside the case for shipping? Basically to immobilize the cooler while in transit. And then instruct the person on the other end to remove all the stuffing out of the case.

It is a basics physics thing, more or less.

You could make the outside of the case packing bullet proof, if it was dropped with basically a weight hanging off the mobo with no support it could still crack things.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
I would never, ever, advocate shipping a large air cooler mounted to the board, or even with most GPUs installed. This is a recipe for disaster.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Blessed to Serve

Yeah I agree with that too. But shock absorption is key since we are assuming there will be drops and boots. The OP will certainly have to reinforce and tape packaging to all corners of the outer case as well, hoping to suspend the case somewhere in the middle of the space of the box. Then put in dunnage to absorb impact but not be stiff.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Blessed to Serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I would never, ever, advocate shipping a large air cooler mounted to the board, or even with most GPUs installed. This is a recipe for disaster.

The big builders out there do it all the time.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote:

The big builders out there do it all the time.

Insurance, service departments, and enough volume to justify custom packaging...they can afford it.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 522 (Unique: 329)
Quote:

Can you put lots of dunnage and fluff inside the (computer) case for shipping? Basically to immobilize the cooler while in transit. And then instruct the person on the other end to remove all the stuffing out of the case.

Since the recipient is probably not savvy enough to reinstall the cooler, this is what I would recommend.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Aren't this fancy!

Rep: 299 (Unique: 257)
If you can't remove the cooler or any other heavy items attached to mobo (gpu), then you NEED to pack the inside tight. Use some styrofoam or some type of heavy foam with little give and then cut it out so that it braces against the case walls and holds your cooler/gpu's in place. Really you want as little give as possible, because we have to expect the worst here, a drop from 1-3ft from any angle is possible and it could happen several times during a trip.

Biggest key to shipping breakables is to package tightly and also have a good buffer zone between items. On smaller boxed items what can really get you is not enough packing inside, where the item bounces around back and forth inside the box (same idea for items inside a pc case). Your idea for using the factory box + another box and peanuts is probably fine, just make sure the peanuts are solid so the factory box can't move around a lot inside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in