help me upgrade this desktop pc - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

help me upgrade this desktop pc

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
ok so i picked up an HP Pavilion a6334f desktop at a thrift store for around 15$ us was missing the dvd drive. any how i figured id upgrade the CPU and video card but im not sure whats best. now before you guys question why i would wanna upgrade such an old PC i do this as a hobby i like toying with fixing and collecting older desktop pc's also i plan to turn this into a server for counter strike source as well as use it for the few 98/me/xp based games that my more powerful desktop cant run. i dont have a set budget or any budget yet as i will be buying the parts used/new and when i can afford them

now im open to both dual core and quad core but most of the games i will be playing were released around the pentium 4 athlon era so i want the fasted cpu i can upgrade to by fastest i mean which ever cpu is 3.0 Ghz or faster and will work with my mobo

as for graphics card id prefer nvidia but am open to ATI also the card must support the game in this link http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/starship-trooper

so pre nvidia GTX 200 series cards and pre ati/amd HD cards

Starship Troopers’ ONLY SUPPORTS the following video cards: Nvidia GeForceFX* 5600/5700/5800/5900 series. Nvidia GeForce 6 and 7 series. (* NOT LE versions) ATI Radeon** 9600 Pro and XT/9700/9800 series. ATI Radeon X300/X600/X700/X800 series** (** NOT the 9700SE or onboard versions)

also would prefer an enthusiest card just because i can use one but am open to other tiers

HP Z400 workstation with a GTX 750Ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
HP says you can use a Core 2 Quad Q9650, but a Core 2 Quad Q9400 would be more economical.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Are you going to install Windows XP 64-bit? If so, I have 4 sticks of DDR2 6400 2GB. Make me an offer. smile.gif

There are some really nice Core2Quads out there on ebay as billbart mentioned for dirt cheap compared to their retail pricing.

Wonderful project you got going! I have a couple like that sitting around myself. One of the first games I played was MechWarrior2, you guys remember that?thumb.gif
Awesome and frustrating at the same time. Clunky game mechanics, but that was part of the challenge.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
i ended up buying an E8400 plus a new mobo as they were cheap both the cpu and mobo cost me aroun 20 to 30 i do need the ram but im on fixed income so cant pay much but it will surly get used as i plan to install xp 64 bit how does 10$ sound as my new board only supports up to 4 gigs so the other 2 gigs would collect dust heres the link to my board

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2693#ov

HP Z400 workstation with a GTX 750Ti
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Ah yeah, I hear ya. Shoot me a PM, we can talk about the RAM.

I remember playing Monkey Island back in the day....that was good stuff man! Despite all the spiritualism and zombies and such.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in