Black Friday PC? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Black Friday PC?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So my aunt and uncle are looking for a new PC this Black Friday and are interested in a prebuilt from Best Buy. The tower only is 329.99 and is advertised here. Now they don't need 1 TB of space and I can get a W10 key from friend who works at Microsoft to save some cost there. Do you think I can do better with piecing one together? Was hoping to put a 250 GB SSD in there for overall better performance, and they don't need a graphics card so integrated would be fine, while also thinking about mATX size board. FM2 or LGA 1151 possibly? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Something you may not be considering:
When you build a computer for someone you become their tech service department - forever - for free.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
It's hard to do better than that price, unless you take your labor on freshening up an old system out of the equation.
Sadly, they don't tell you what i5 is in there or do what ram configuration, just a total 8gb number.

So it's probably bargain cheap stuff. So I think in dollars you could refurb something and make it perform much better than this particular system....possibly.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think it's a gen or two older i5, might've seen 4460 somewhere on there. Thanks for the replies, I'm not worried about labor since it would be for a family member and they don't do anything more intensive than youtube, a few online games (like flash or golf world tour low-res stuff). I've been able to price out a comparable system in both FM2 and 1151(only about 50 bucks more with an i3 and A10) so I'll probably go that rte if they decide they want to. Thanks again

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:41 AM
new to OCN?

Rep: 1536 (Unique: 924)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ([email protected])usingTRIPLE15
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $338.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-26 13:41 EST-0500
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:57 PM
woot

Rep: 256 (Unique: 211)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Something you may not be considering:
When you build a computer for someone you become their tech service department - forever - for free.

heed this warning...been there and it sucks. after the last time i told them to call dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in