Build for 3D work - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Build for 3D work

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My old PC bit the dust last week, it was a generic ZT systems (I think it even came from WalMart, but please don't hold that against me!) with i7, 16GB RAM, I added an M4 SSD for booting, and MSI Radeon HD. I think the whole thing cost me about $800 and it has been great for my work. I've been waiting for it to die for a while now so its no surprise; luckily I just purchased a new laptop recently, that can get me by for now but I'm in a rush to get the desktop replaced.

I'm looking to build a new machine for 3D modeling (no rendering), and NC programming, I think the most resource heavy application I will be running is Autodesk Fusion360. I have built from scratch before but I'm still liking the idea of a prebuilt, and maybe swapping out a few bits to give it a boost.

I'm really not up to speed on hardware specs, and have no brand loyalties, so pitch me ideas, a complete, something with a few upgrades, or even a complete custom, open to all ideas.

Hardware budget would be $1k, bonus points if it comes out closer to the old machine price of $800.

Thanks for your input!

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:24 PM
New001

You're using autodesk products, a lot of them support CUDA, so pretty much only consider Nvidia for your GPU. (Double check the software, if OPEN CL is used and not CUDA, you'll want AMD graphics).

Get another i7, current gen
Get another 16gb ram kit
Get a z170 motherboard
Get an m.2 drive for booting and 2x SSD's in RAID 0 for a largish, fast storage pool.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Robocop is #1 movie ever

Rep: 70 (Unique: 49)
What part of your PC bit the dust? For $800 you might want to replace what died and as the guy above said pick up an NVidia GPU. For the money, 980Ti would probably do the job just fine.

Please elaborate on your PC biting the dust.

Ol' Dirty Bastard
(29 items)
CPU
6950X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V edition 10
GPU
Titan X Pascal
GPU
Titan X Pascal
RAM
G.Skill Ripjawz 4 128GB 3200MHz C14 RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 6000P 1TB m.2
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus external BD DVD
Power Supply
eVGA 1600W P2
Cooling
EK RVE Edition 10 monoblock
Cooling
EK Titan X Pascal waterblocks with EK back plates
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad/res/pump combo
Cooling
Aquaero 6 Pro
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer serial dual D5 pumps with bitspower top and mounts
Case
Caselabs s8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Keyboard
Microsoft Sculpt Wireless Ergonomic
Mouse
Logitech wireless trackball
Audio
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100+
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Other
Logitech F710 wireless game pad
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This computer is about 6 years old and has been getting bogged down as I take on more complicated projects. I wasn't around to actually see it happen, but apparently one of the other guys in the shop said he was turning it on and sparks shot out. I think grinding dust, or metal chips from the shop got into it and shorted something out.
I have a new PSU in the mail, hopefully that fixes it but just in case it fried something else I need a backup plan.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Tinkerer

i7 5820k, 980 ti (you can score them for around 350 ish now), gigabyte GAX99 - UD3P motherboard, pick up another 16gb kit of ram, you should be able to use your old kit as well, to make 32gb, and a 750 watt psu, you should be at like $995 for that setup, you would be able to 3d model all day and even for the next 4-5 years on that system, and well render if you wanted too, it will do whatever you want.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:22 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 818 (Unique: 550)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFab View Post

This computer is about 6 years old and has been getting bogged down as I take on more complicated projects. I wasn't around to actually see it happen, but apparently one of the other guys in the shop said he was turning it on and sparks shot out. I think grinding dust, or metal chips from the shop got into it and shorted something out.
I have a new PSU in the mail, hopefully that fixes it but just in case it fried something else I need a backup plan.

The only thing in that system that I would replace is the Radeon. The 6 year old radeon is a VLIW dinosaur that is before GCN.

I'd get a recent gen Geforce GTX 900 series or GTX 1000 series if you use Autocad / Revit / etc. Most Autodesk software is DirectX so there is little to no benefit to a similar priced Quadro.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected]e (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Overclocking my Toaster

Rep: 25 (Unique: 17)

If you still want to go a pre-built route something like this is probably up to the task.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101470

I'd obviously get more RAM and put in your own storage but it's a fair start and the cpu isn't amazing. Just looking real quick in between monitor hunting. Could possibly put together something for you on partpicker later, hard to multi task atm my laptop's SSD bit the dust on me so it's getting RMA'd, so I only have the one screen atm.

Course you'd save by not getting a new case or PSU but idk how good yours is without specs.

I also wouldn't hurt to put the other components in another computer to test them one by one to make sure nothing is wrong with them, stress test, and smart checks on HDD and such. that way if their is you'll know sooner.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
If you are into buying up decommissioned workstation pc's, there are tons available at decent prices with loads of RAM. You usually will have to add SSD's yourself, maybe upgrade powersupply and graphics, but there really is a wealth of decent low usage hardware out there.

Here are some examples:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/PC-Desktops-All-In-Ones/179/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+precision

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T7500-Workstation-Intel-Xeon-E5620-Quad-Core-24GB-2TB-Windows-7-/222363457839?hash=item33c5e5192f:g:khwAAOSwUKxYaH17

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T3600-2-60GHz-8C-Xeon-E5-2670-16GB-RAM-500GB-3-5-HDD-Win7-Pro-/381901696579?hash=item58eb1d6e43:g:X~sAAOSwEzxYasgK

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in