ISO Help: Video Editing Rig [$1,500 - $2,000] - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ISO Help: Video Editing Rig [$1,500 - $2,000]

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancor View Post

This looks like a good start. I will see what I can pull up when I get more time. Two quick things I might change.

Second, get a 1060 6GB or RX480 8GB. The 1060 6GB is the one you want if you need CUDA. The 1060 3GB is cut down and a terrible buy for the price do not get it.

This is highly dependent on the use of CUDA in your video editing programs and how much you might game on this. If an amd gpu will offer the same acceleration of video playback I would look into getting the RX480. Compared to the early reviews the 480 8GB and 1060 6GB are now equal in gaming performance. The 1060 6BG has a slight advantage in DX11 and the 480 as a slight advantage in DX12. It is likely the RX 480 is a little more future proof as more games move towards DX12/Vulkan.

That's fascinating - brought this to a local computer repair guy and he said the same thing. It's nice to know he knows his stuff. He said he will build it for me for $150 ... I would do it myself but I really don't want to risk $1800 on me wanting to learn. When I make my personal rig and not a business one ill experiment smile.gif

I'm so grateful for this community and willingness to share information. This truly is a gift. Thank you all again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancor View Post

Looks great, the cooler might struggle with a 6800K if you plan on overclocking but should be fine otherwise. I have been too long in the custom water cooling world I really don't know good air coolers or AIO coolers.

I think the Noctua NH-D14 is still the best air cooler and is as good as most AIO coolers just huge.

Do you want the 750G ssd to also use as a scratch area? The Samsung 850 EVO 512GB is a better drive just with less space.

I want to make sure its cool enough, I don't plan on overclocking at all because I really want longevity out of all the hardware. Also overheating being a concern (the main one actually).

The computer repair guy said that I should get a bigger boot drive... I wanted a 1 TB but I didn't want to pay 380 for it. Am I better off getting a faster boot drive with less space? (still new to this and trying to understand what makes a drive "faster")

Thank you for your help!

-Ted
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedown View Post

I want to make sure its cool enough, I don't plan on overclocking at all because I really want longevity out of all the hardware. Also overheating being a concern (the main one actually).

The computer repair guy said that I should get a bigger boot drive... I wanted a 1 TB but I didn't want to pay 380 for it. Am I better off getting a faster boot drive with less space? (still new to this and trying to understand what makes a drive "faster")

Thank you for your help!

-Ted

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10274/the-crucial-mx300-750gb-ssd-review-microns-3d-nand-arrives/10

The 850 EVO is faster in sequential and random performance so it should be faster is general use. If that's a noticeable improvement I am not sure. I would say you're probably better off with the smaller 500GB drive but you will have to be to keep your storage of large files on the two 4TB drives. If your windows, programs, and essential files are around 250GB you should be fine with the 500GB drive.

i7-4770K Overclock
Blue
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K (4.4GHz 1.35V)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF
GPU
XFX Radeon RX VEGA 64
RAM
16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 10-12-12-31
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1050W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF + mpc355 + 2 x Xspc RX360 + EK-FC Radeon Vega
Case
Corsair 700D with Side Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Keyboard
Xarmor U9BL-S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK+
Mouse
Roccat Pure Owl-Eye
Audio
Swan M50W
Audio
Odac+O2 & Sennheiser GSX 1000
Audio
Sennheiser 6XX
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
GPU
Sapphire R9-290 Vapour-X
RAM
G.Skill Flare X
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark
Monitor
Pixio PX277
Audio
Swan M10
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay so this is the semi-final build that I've come up with from the help and considerations that I've gotten from y'all... A tad over budget but this is for content creation for my business and I know it will pay for itself in about 12 months.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m4L3WX

Any suggestions or concerns that should be changed please let me know.
I've been looking around the forum and have learned so much. The complexity and nuance associated with the process of building upgrading its all really remarkable. I'm finding myself coming back here again and again reading posts biggrin.gif Thank you!

Edit: Will all of this fit in the case? The repair guy told me to make sure. But I don't really know where to begin to check that...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 93)
Start with the cooler normally.

The case is wide enough for the D14. The mother board is also compatible with the D14. The D14 has 44mm of height clearance to ram so you should be fine as the ripjaw 5 are listed at 42mm. you will probably need to move the front fan up a little to clear.

You have enough drive bays for you HDD, SSD, and Blu-Ray drive

The only other things would be if the Power supply or GPU where larger than normal and I don't think they are.

i7-4770K Overclock
Blue
(18 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K (4.4GHz 1.35V)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF
GPU
XFX Radeon RX VEGA 64
RAM
16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 10-12-12-31
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840 500GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX1050W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF + mpc355 + 2 x Xspc RX360 + EK-FC Radeon Vega
Case
Corsair 700D with Side Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Monitor
ASUS MG279Q
Keyboard
Xarmor U9BL-S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK+
Mouse
Roccat Pure Owl-Eye
Audio
Swan M50W
Audio
Odac+O2 & Sennheiser GSX 1000
Audio
Sennheiser 6XX
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
GPU
Sapphire R9-290 Vapour-X
RAM
G.Skill Flare X
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark
Monitor
Pixio PX277
Audio
Swan M10
▲ hide details ▲

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 29)
I actually just built a rig with a lot of the same components listed here for a family friend who does a lot of photo and video editing as a hobby. Specs from that build are:
i7-6800k
Asus X99A-II
CM Hyper 212 Evo
16 GB 3000 DDR4 RAM
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
EVGA 650w G2
Crucial MX 275 GB SSD
Hitachi 4 TB HDD
Corsair 300R with added dust filters
2 DVD RW drives as he hasn't done anything with Blu-Ray yet and I told him he could add/replace down the road

Space concerns had me go with the 300R and put a dust filter on top since it's an open vent. Went with the 1070 as he uses a few programs that take advantage of CUDA that I thought could help out now and in the future. Luckily I snagged a combo deal on Newegg around Christmas time for the CPU/MB for 525 that allowed me to go with the 1070 over 1060. I couldve gone 32 GB RAM too but figured he doesn't do the editing daily so went with a decent all around machine. Here is a picture of the setup

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 453 (Unique: 358)
You finish building the rig OP?

If you're still unsure about the video card, I can tell you that AMD is alot faster than Nvidia in OpenCL, for whatever reason. An R9 Fury, in particular, will chew through fancy vapoursynth denoising, scaling, and motion interpolation like there's no tomorrow. And if you're looking for the absolute besy quality processing done in a sane amount of time, that's exactly what you want.

Nvidia cards have a huge advantage in Waifu2X-caffe if you ever plan on working with animation.

Sent from my Sig Rig
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

On the will it fit question...

I just built practically the same components into the same case and it all fits fine. Though, I did put in a Corsair H115i closed loop cooler, mounted at the top, instead. That made it a bit difficult to plug CPU fan cables into the headers on the top of the motherboard but there was just enough clearance for my 9 and 12 yo daughters to get their petite hands into that tight space and make the connections. Next time I'll remember to plug them in before mounting the radiator.

I will also mention that the 280mm radiator with the tubes butted up against the 5 1/2" drive bays left little room for a full size optical drive in the top bay. I barely got the cables plugged into the BD burner in the second bay. There was just enough give in the radiator tubes to flex them out of the way for the drive's cables.

The exhaust fans are above the radiator so hot air blows out the top, though it hasn't really gotten over 60C yet so the fans are hardly worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in