Is this SUPER FAST pc i got off eBay alright? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is this SUPER FAST pc i got off eBay alright?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:23 PM
I fix Stuff

Rep: 316 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Im sure you can still have some fun with it, but I agree with the others... not a great buy for your money.

If I'm going to retrofit something like this for an ultra cheap gaming rig, I tend to look for a generation or two old xeon workstation. Most of them come with beefier PSU's so you can add a good midrange videocard without spending extra, and DDR3 ECC can be bought super cheap. The downside is they wont overclock since the BIOS is OEM but still fun to play around with.

the OEM Bios not allowing overclocking is pretty much true for any pre-built system that is not marketed as "gaming"

Helpful Links & Hardware History (Click to show)OCN Marketplace Expectations (Click to show)
- I always test my purchased products before leaving trader feedback. If I bought something from you and you have not gotten feedback give me a little friendly PM bump. smile.gif
- When selling items I do my best to pack and ship by the next business day.
- You can never communicate too much, that said I try to relay any relevant information during a transaction as soon as it becomes available.
- I am willing to work with you on whatever you need, I am only a PM away.
Xander's Windows tune up guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 254 (Unique: 189)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Gamer View Post

So i didn't need a 3rd pc but i wanted another to tinker around with and i got the money to order this for free i guess you could say, so why not? I sold some item in a game i play for $180 Paypal'ed cash.

So here is what i bought, says its a socket 1155 Pentium dual core, 8gb ram, 1tb hd and a Seasonic psu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291764327753?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=590950146702&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I plan to upgrade the cpu to an i7 2600K, upgrade the psu, 16gb ram, also throw in a 3gb 1060.

Seem like a plan?

So you basically paid $188 for a micro ATX case and an operating system that's tied to that motherboard.

From all the brand name choices available, why did you pick a "white van" PC model? I'm actually more upset at the scam artists selling that PC as a "performance computer" when it's actually just an office workstation computer.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM
I fix Stuff

Rep: 316 (Unique: 244)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

So you basically paid $188 for a micro ATX case and an operating system that's tied to that motherboard.

From all the brand name choices available, why did you pick a "white van" PC model? I'm actually more upset at the scam artists selling that PC as a "performance computer" when it's actually just an office workstation computer.

The marketing doesn't bother me as much as I saw a core 2 duo laptop advertised as a light gaming computer, with onboard graphics. uh huh sure. one of the worst onboard graphics chip ever made and it's a "gaming" computer. keep dreaming scooter.

Helpful Links & Hardware History (Click to show)OCN Marketplace Expectations (Click to show)
- I always test my purchased products before leaving trader feedback. If I bought something from you and you have not gotten feedback give me a little friendly PM bump. smile.gif
- When selling items I do my best to pack and ship by the next business day.
- You can never communicate too much, that said I try to relay any relevant information during a transaction as soon as it becomes available.
- I am willing to work with you on whatever you need, I am only a PM away.
Xander's Windows tune up guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Enjoy tinkering! Oh, and an SSD should be your first upgrade, IMO.

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Here it is now biggrin.gif

i7-2600
16gb ddr3 1600 crucial ballistix ram
Gtx 960 msi 2gb
2tb hd (1tb it came with failed so they sent me a 2tb) thumb.gif
500w evga psu
X-fi Extreme sound card
Cooler Master N200 Case

The only other thing i can think to do to it is add a Gtx 1060 6GB a little later, as of now it plays anything i play @ Ultra just fine since my monitors resolution is 1400x900. Oh... and maybe a SSD. So yeah, i only used the mobo and hd, but the other parts are going to use so it wasn't a total waste.

~Beyond the reach of human range, a drop of hell, a touch of strange~
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Oh btw, it came with a Pentium G850 in it which actually wasn't too bad in a lot of games i tested it with while waiting for the 2600 to come in.

~Beyond the reach of human range, a drop of hell, a touch of strange~
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Gamer View Post

Well... when you put it that way biggrin.gif

I'm restless and needed something to do. It's going to be my wifes computer, i get annoyed when she gets on both of mine to play games.
Oddly enough I have a Biostar h61 motherboard that I have been able to overclock with (albeit only with base clock)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in