chairty shop retro gold...need info - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

chairty shop retro gold...need info

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i just got an dell xps 630i from my local charity shop for 20 pounds biggrin.gif (i have a much better pc i just got this one for fun)

it came with a crappy 8400gs gfx card, an intel core 2 dual core E6300. it was missing ram and hard drives and also came with a non standard crappy PSU.

8GB's of ram ,3xhdd and two gt9600 in sli later and.....its pretty good.
not to mention a 3ghz overclock on the cpu and it doesnt go abouve 62degreees c

im suprised the naff PSU can run a sli setup.

so far including initial pc cost ive spent a total of...65pounds on this.

i think the processor in it isnt the right one (please correct me if it was standard). googling says the best for it would be a q9650!!! is this correct? is it worth getting one of these second hand for about 40-50 quid just for making it "complete"? or is there better cpu for it?

i plan on using it as a retro gaming rig for older titles......it can run crysis2 at 1440x900 on high settings at a stable 50-60fps.......if thats any indication of its meagre power so far.

looks a bit heath robinson.......the cards are the same make and nearly identical except the top card has an ever so slightly differnt heat sink shape, its more rounded :S

so to sumarise.....

1. whats the best processor i can get for it? (i plan on overclocking)
2. was/is this a bargain or am i being a bit silly here?

thanks in advance for the help and thoughts

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 PM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
That's a typical price for an old Dell "appliance".

The sweet spot (Price/Performance) is a Core 2 Quad Q9400.

Many dell computers use a proprietary pinout for the PSU and Fans.
If yours is non standard you can get an adapter for a new PSU for a few bucks, but you'll have to rewire the fans if you add a new cooler.

The Dell BIOS won't have any overclocking options, but sometimes you can get SetFSB to work.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

it would appear this does have full over clocking options....as i have fully overclocked it : S (not to sound whiny but if you read my initial post you would see i already have overclocked it)

i can change multipliers, voltages, ram timings, unlinked or linked .....basically its fully overclockable and i have. The current cpu E6300 is at 1.86ghz normally but ive got it upto 3ghz with the overclocking options.

im as suprised as you are as it is a dell but it would appear this is a goodun smile.gif

so again??? is the q9650 the best overclockable lga775 cpu for this rig? the q9400 i half as expensive at about 25 pounds but....i figure i may as well splash out....internet shows a few 9650 getting upto 4.2ghz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Yes, the q9650 is the fastest CPU, but not the best bang for the buck. Add a cheep 120 GB SSD and you'll have a screamer!

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

update:

i had a better cpu lying around in a silly all in one pc.....stuck on the back of the monitor im using with this pc smile.gif (a HP dc7800p)

its an e6550 pretty much the same but a bigger 4mb L2 cache and a higher base clock of 2.33ghz.

the bonus is ive got it oveclocked to 3.5ghz biggrin.gif

not sure if i can be bothered with a faster cpu anymore. im sure if i keep my eyes peeled at my local tat stores i might find something worthwhile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in