Might have to buy prebuilt - Puget? FalconNW? Others? Talk me out of it? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Might have to buy prebuilt - Puget? FalconNW? Others? Talk me out of it?

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
tl;dr skip to last paragraph - puke.gif - confused.gif

I need a new PC and must spend several grand by year's end for tax reasons. I usually build my own, but have a multitude of health issues that result in being extremely weak especially right shoulder, hand, arm, plus scary random arm/hand spasms and general brain fog. I hate talking about this crap, but it's my reality for now. I built my first box back in the 486 era (though haven't built anything in 7 years) but for the first time in my life I'm questioning building a PC myself. eek.gif

I spent around $2500 on my current build and found pre-built quotes around $6500. Now maybe it's my weak shopping, but I'm seeing only around a ~$1k, at most $2k difference.

One of my worries with the limited timeframe is getting something important DOA and having to wait too long for a replacement to test everthing else. Yeah.. I guess I can probably test a graphics card in my current PC. Maybe RAM. I guess I can check if a PSU is totally dead with a DVM, but can't load it up unless I take the AX850 out of my current box... which is sadly on the floor and weighs too much to move.

And the worst thing is that the thought of even touching a $900+ CPU with the possibility of my hand jerking without warning fills me with fear. I held my breath handling the 980X and I really felt I couldn't tighten the Noctua cooler properly with my then much stronger hands and arms.

Sorry I'm using you guys to think through all this, but in my brain damaged condition, I have no choice. And I know you all are seriously pro custom self-build, which is why I felt I needed several paragraphs of babble to justify this. I'm not really sure how long I can put this decision off. If I do build myself I need to start sooner rather than later.

So I'm looking at Puget Systems and Falcon NW due to rep and location. Do any of you have experience, opinions, ideas, whatnot about Puget, Falcon NW or can recommend anyone else? I've looked at Digitalstorm, Maingear and Origin but the shipping sucks. Puget has a free ground shipping right now, though I might upgrade to air because I feel I might get better handling, tracking and chance of getting them to walk the thing up to my 3rd floor apt... but I could be dreaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
All fine companies in my opinion. Have you looked at Alienware?

Ask whoever you buy from to require signature for the package and it should be brought up to you. Either way you should be able to call the shipping company once it's in route to request that package be brought up because you are disabled, something I don't see you having an issue with.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Meep

Rep: 327 (Unique: 234)
Not entirely sure about the US, but here in Europe there are quite a few retailer that have an assembly service, its usually around €100-€150 on top of the parts for the assembly+OS install.

They might not do as much validation, or use specialize custom parts, like Puget for example does, but you'll at least be sure the system is assembled somewhat decently and that nothing is DOA. And the price will be much closer to what it would be if you build it yourself.

Edit: It seems that microcenter does this for $150, might be worth looking into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Microcenter doesn't even list anything in Washington state, no less Seattle. Now that I think about it, my bro used their service for his first PC before he started doing it himself. But maybe they do the build thing through the web store, I'll have to check. And see what the shipping would be. It is tough wanting to hand pick all your components yet have someone else do the build... though I'm still scratching my head over the mobo and case choice would likely end up being way aesthetic.

It's sad that Seattle is a pretty decent tech city but has very few computer stores of any type. True to Amazon being headquartered here - most everyone buys through the web.

I lived in Germany for 4 years and 2 minutes by bike from me we had a great place called Snogard (dragons backwards biggrin.gif). They were a hidden, non-chain, extremely geeky place. I miss them. They'd have built a system for me if I asked and been even more anal retentive than I am. wink.gif I miss them.

Thanks for reminding me about that!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Not entirely sure about the US, but here in Europe there are quite a few retailer that have an assembly service, its usually around €100-€150 on top of the parts for the assembly+OS install.

They might not do as much validation, or use specialize custom parts, like Puget for example does, but you'll at least be sure the system is assembled somewhat decently and that nothing is DOA. And the price will be much closer to what it would be if you build it yourself.

Edit: It seems that microcenter does this for $150, might be worth looking into?

Just talked to microcenter - they said they couldn't do it - the build service is only available through local stores. mad.gif
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 29)
Puget Systems comes with a three ring binder and shows all your components were tested and who tested them along with benchmarks scores.
YouTubers who have done business with them JayzTwoCents , Barnacules Nerdgasm

Nerdgasm video showing the binder and opening his system and all the test done.

I hope this help you out.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 97 (Unique: 66)
I've always been a fan of Falcon systems. The mach V is a thing of beauty and comes with almost every option imaginable (more options than Puget IMO). Puget has an extensive burn in testing program but with less gingerbread and options.

How much are you looking to spend, and what's your primary use case for the machine? That would help us to recommend what might work best for you.

As far as pre-built vs DIY, DIY is only better if your health and time allow for it. I've got family members with health issues and I know what a strain the holidays are for them - adding in a build project would not be something I recommend they do, so you shouldn't feel bad buying a machine that was built by someone else's hands.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Hardware Princess

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Falcon Northwest is by far the best, especially with those custom paint jobs thumb.gif

CHILLER DESTRUCTION
Build Log - White Voodoo
basic linux pc
(15 items)
Z390 Station
(11 items)
CPU
7980XE @ 4.3 GHz 1.10v
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Apex
GPU
2 x Aorus Waterforce WB 1080 Ti @ 2037/6318
RAM
Trident Z 16gb 3200c14 @ 3800c16 1.50V (the other two sticks were sacrificed)
Hard Drive
960 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA 1600 T2
Cooling
HWLabs GTR 420+280 Rads
Cooling
7 x Noctua Industrial 140mm 3000 RPM Fans
Cooling
EK D5 Pump/Res (with RGB!)
Case
LD Cooling PC-V7
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.6
Monitor
NEC PA271W
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Mouse
Logitech M510
Mousepad
anime tiddy mousepad
CPU
9900K @ 5.4 1.50v
Motherboard
EVGA Z390 Dark
GPU
Titan RTX 2085/8500
RAM
Trident Z 3200c14 @ 4600c20 1.5v
Hard Drive
970 Evo Plus 250gb
Power Supply
silverstone 1200 from 2008 (other one exploded)
Cooling
HWLabs GTX 360 Rad (in RED)
Cooling
3x EK Vader 120mm 2200rpm Fans
Case
Dimastech Test Bench
Monitor
AOC Agon AG251FZ 240Hz
Audio
Built-in Monitor Speakers (3 watt)
CPU
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz
RAM
48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066
Hard Drive
120 GB Samsung 750 Evo SSD
Hard Drive
2 TB Western Digital Green
Hard Drive
2 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM
Power Supply
650W Delta PSU
Case
1U Rackmount
Operating System
Ubuntu Server 16.04
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post

tl;dr skip to last paragraph

And the worst thing is that the thought of even touching a $900+ CPU with the possibility of my hand jerking without warning fills me with fear. I held my breath handling the 980X and I really felt I couldn't tighten the Noctua cooler properly with my then much stronger hands and arms.

So I'm looking at Puget Systems and Falcon NW due to rep and location. Do any of you have experience, opinions, ideas, whatnot about Puget, Falcon NW or can recommend anyone else? I've looked at Digitalstorm, Maingear and Origin but the shipping sucks. Puget has a free ground shipping right now, though I might upgrade to air because I feel I might get better handling, tracking and chance of getting them to walk the thing up to my 3rd floor apt... but I could be dreaming.

Those boutique builders aren't shipping "pre-builts," at least not 99% of the time. They're custom building per order, and offering some consulting services along the way, which is an entirely different process than cookie cutter pre-built PCs rolling down an assembly line.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavantStrike View Post

I've always been a fan of Falcon systems. The mach V is a thing of beauty and comes with almost every option imaginable (more options than Puget IMO). Puget has an extensive burn in testing program but with less gingerbread and options.

How much are you looking to spend, and what's your primary use case for the machine? That would help us to recommend what might work best for you.

As far as pre-built vs DIY, DIY is only better if your health and time allow for it. I've got family members with health issues and I know what a strain the holidays are for them - adding in a build project would not be something I recommend they do, so you shouldn't feel bad buying a machine that was built by someone else's hands.

Sorry too many wordy posts all over forgot I didn't mention this here... Cinema4D mostly. Photoshop, Illustrator and other misc Adobe apps. Some VR if I get lucky.

The mach V looked tiny to me at first - too small (I think I also saw some mislabeled Tiki pics). I've since found the actual dimensions and better pics and it's a decent size. I've drooled over their custom paint jobs since they started. Too bad I either have not enough $ or a family member who paints cars and insists on doing it himself (not that I've taken him up on it).

Falcon is more expensive and farther away - but at least just in Oregon. Ground is $118 (vs free from Puget) and 2-Day $192. I end up at $5,500 pretty fast though.

It's a tough choice. That Mach V is pretty cool. I have to look at how hard it is to add stuff to it. I don't want to pay surcharges for simple things like mass storage HDs. I'll just get a 2TB WD and add another huge drive or 2 later by myself. And more RAM. I can start with 32GB but would like 64 in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in