HELP, need to decide fast! Alienware Area 51 TR vs Custom Built? - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HELP, need to decide fast! Alienware Area 51 TR vs Custom Built?

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 627 (Unique: 411)
Sounds like you need to hit the ground running so I would go with the pre built as well; I personally own a 17" AW laptop (pascal) which has been my first encounter with AW products and I have to say ... I've never owned a more solidly built laptop; I could have had a GTX1080 machine for about what I payed for this 1070 machine but the particular MSI model felt like something out of Toys are Us in comparison ... and it had fake red chrome LED's LOL ... it was a no brainer for the AW machine ... and it's primarily for office use and so had no issue with the slower GPU...

Zero throttling issues but others, especially 1080 owners, are re pasting like crazy. I would expect repasting on one of their desktops to be FAR easier ...

Best of luck...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pser View Post

Well, all the talking about Octane vs other renderers is for pure fun, I like investigating the options we can use today. In the end, they are all great tools and, as always, each has its own pro and cons and yet they are a tremendous help for our jobs. I mean, if we want we can handle projects by ourselves from home, from designing to rendering, compositing and so on. Only a few years ago this wasn't possible. In other words, there's no wrong choice as long as we get the job done smile.gif

Here's my stuff: http://phoenixart.com
and more random stuff: http://blog.phoenixart.com

Wow... lovely work!
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post

Wow... lovely work!

Thank you, Athena!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealpbs View Post

I always prefer the custom built setup. Because in the custom built setup you are available to make the perfect setup depending on your demand for gaming. These are my gaming setup
Samsung C34F791 Monitor
Anne Pro Mech Keyboard
Logitech G403 Wireless Mouse
White Extended Mouse Pad
ATH-M50X Headphones
NZXT S340 Elite Case
Intel i7 5930K CPU
Kraken X62 CPU Cooler
ASUS X99 Mobo
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT RAM
EVGA 1080 FTW GPU
Samsung 960 Evo 256GB SSD
Pip Boy Replica
RGB LED Lights
Lian-Li Accessory DK-02X 2.5inch

So my suggestion would be you should go for the custom build setup.

I appreciate your help, Michealpbs, but you missed a few points I mentioned before.
I already decided to go with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 16 cores. This build is for work not for gaming and even though I understand the initial advantage money wise with a custom built PC, I went with a brand solution because of the support.

But thanks for chiming in.

Best
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

At the moment, considered the recent news about the risk Intel CPUs may go through, it seems AMD is a better choice, but it's yet to be determined.
Also, if it's only an Intel problem, is not clear yet whether the patch will affect Intel CPU only or both. The thing is, it seems there will be a significant loss of performance, a very significant one:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenkam/2018/01/03/your-intel-cpu-is-about-to-be-hobbled-5-30/#2ac4b35644f4

In a most recent update on the issue, is not clear whether AMD and other vendors CPU are affected as well:
https://gizmodo.com/report-all-intel-processors-made-in-the-last-decade-mi-1821728240

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in